Jake Walters: Imperfect Truth

Tingle3

The recent discussion about Jake Walters’ archived photos prompted me to Google the name. What did I find? It only turns out that he was credited on “Who put the M in Manchester?” with the Imperfect List track.

Anyone who knows this track knows it was written by Pete Wylie (The Mighty Wah! Aka Wah!) as a side project under the name of ‘Big Hard Excellent Fish’. I asked at Petewylie.com what the truth was about BHEF. Below are my questions and the answer:

Me

Right; sorry to be asking this, but a story over at Morrissey-solo.com about 'Jake Walters' (portrait photographer) has got me a little intrigued, and a little irritated because Pete deosn't seem to be getting credit for Imperfect List. Someone has pointed out that "Imperfect List" as borrowed by Morrissey for his tours in recent years was credited on the DVD "Who put the M in Manchester?" to Walters/ Jones/ Way. No-one mentions Wylie.

I had always believed that BHEF was a Wylie side project and the voice belongs to Josie Jones. I have said that a number of times on that forum. Is the credit on the DVD simply a cock-up? Someone else swears that they have seen a picture of the 'band' Big Hard Excellent Fish, and that Jake Walters was the original drummer in Eighth Wonder.

I quote: "How do we know it's the same Jake as the guy from Eighth Wonder? Because the NME ran a photo of him and Josie Jones in the very issue that they covered Moz's Vauxhall signings in. They even ran the article explaing to fans who may be wondering, that Moz's new best mate Jake was in the band BHEF. (They didn't mention his earlier effort with Eighth Wonder though and I don't blame them)."

This seems very odd, not least because the BHEF single was orignally 1990 and Morrissey's Vauxhall & I was 1994.

Should the credits on the DVD be Jones/ Wylie or Josie/ Wah! ? or simply 'Wylie'.

HELP. Is the Walters thing a great big red (fish) herring?

Cheers

Pete Wylie:
this pisses me off,and is the reason i don't talk to josie jones any more. michael clark,the dancer[who also worked with the Fall]wanted a piece of music for the South Bank Show. the idea was mine. i played everything on the track,suggested the list,did the programming and arrangement.
josie did the talk list. josie and the other fellow had certain issues at the time[but not with the track-they loved it,as did michael]
i was never paid for the track,or given any credit;i've never received any royalties. this didnt bother me so much.their attitude and selfishness did,and does...
i think the Morrissey dvd was a deliberate attempt to write me out of the history. i entered into serious discussions with their publishers who agreed that the credit would be corrected in future dvd re-pressings.
i also made it clear that i wrote it.josie did most of the words.and that's all...no other persion contributed. they even had the temerity to claim that someone else had re-done my guitar parts! [that person only transferred the separate recorded tracks from one medium to a digital one] i'm very proud of the piece. i actually did a 'positive' alternative version on the cd single of Don't Lose Your Dreams in1991,with Mersey's mum on vocals. the fabulous genius of everything the others did without me[ie NOTHING!] should point to the truth...

The recent discussion about Jake Walters’ archived photos prompted me to Google the name. What did I find? It only turns out that he was credited on “Who put the M in Manchester?” with the Imperfect List track.

Anyone who knows this track knows it was written by Pete Wylie (The Mighty Wah! Aka Wah!) as a side project under the name of ‘Big Hard Excellent Fish’. I asked at Petewylie.com what the truth was about BHEF. Below are my questions and the answer:

Me

Right; sorry to be asking this, but a story over at Morrissey-solo.com about 'Jake Walters' (portrait photographer) has got me a little intrigued, and a little irritated because Pete deosn't seem to be getting credit for Imperfect List. Someone has pointed out that "Imperfect List" as borrowed by Morrissey for his tours in recent years was credited on the DVD "Who put the M in Manchester?" to Walters/ Jones/ Way. No-one mentions Wylie.

I had always believed that BHEF was a Wylie side project and the voice belongs to Josie Jones. I have said that a number of times on that forum. Is the credit on the DVD simply a cock-up? Someone else swears that they have seen a picture of the 'band' Big Hard Excellent Fish, and that Jake Walters was the original drummer in Eighth Wonder.

I quote: "How do we know it's the same Jake as the guy from Eighth Wonder? Because the NME ran a photo of him and Josie Jones in the very issue that they covered Moz's Vauxhall signings in. They even ran the article explaing to fans who may be wondering, that Moz's new best mate Jake was in the band BHEF. (They didn't mention his earlier effort with Eighth Wonder though and I don't blame them)."

This seems very odd, not least because the BHEF single was orignally 1990 and Morrissey's Vauxhall & I was 1994.

Should the credits on the DVD be Jones/ Wylie or Josie/ Wah! ? or simply 'Wylie'.

HELP. Is the Walters thing a great big red (fish) herring?

Cheers

Pete Wylie:
this pisses me off,and is the reason i don't talk to josie jones any more. michael clark,the dancer[who also worked with the Fall]wanted a piece of music for the South Bank Show. the idea was mine. i played everything on the track,suggested the list,did the programming and arrangement.
josie did the talk list. josie and the other fellow had certain issues at the time[but not with the track-they loved it,as did michael]
i was never paid for the track,or given any credit;i've never received any royalties. this didnt bother me so much.their attitude and selfishness did,and does...
i think the Morrissey dvd was a deliberate attempt to write me out of the history. i entered into serious discussions with their publishers who agreed that the credit would be corrected in future dvd re-pressings.
i also made it clear that i wrote it.josie did most of the words.and that's all...no other persion contributed. they even had the temerity to claim that someone else had re-done my guitar parts! [that person only transferred the separate recorded tracks from one medium to a digital one] i'm very proud of the piece. i actually did a 'positive' alternative version on the cd single of Don't Lose Your Dreams in1991,with Mersey's mum on vocals. the fabulous genius of everything the others did without me[ie NOTHING!] should point to the truth...

That's really fascinating.

Tags
jake
Back
Top Bottom