Jarvis Cocker on Morrissey's autobiography

[Originally posted in the Strange/unexpected Moz references? thread]

í don't know how strange or unexpected this reference is, given the individuals involved, but í may as well post it here as anywhere.

In the current issue {No.10 ~ Winter 2017} of "The Happy Reader" magazine, 'National Treasure' Jarvis Cocker is the cover star and subject of a 26 page feature interview by 'Poet' Simon Armitage.

About half-way through this epic encounter, Armitage asks if we can ever expect to read 'Jarvis: My Story'. {The answer is yes. kinda.} But as part of the ensuing chat, Armitage asks, 'Did you read Morrissey's autobiography?'

JC: I got sent it. I read the first two or three pages. I found the style grated on me. The present tense thing. I've only really properly met him once, in an airport waiting to fly to Dublin. We recognised each other, and we were in this tiny little space so we had to talk to each other, and I really liked him. He was funny and just had an interesting manner about him.

Elsewhere, it's an excellent, interesting, stimulating interview {with an appendix of JC's recommended bed-time reading} and lovely portraits by the god-like Alasdair McLellan. Conducted in two sessions, pre & post summer last year, first in Cocker's Paris flat, second in The London Library on St James's Square.

cover.jpg

coffeetablemags_the-happy-reader_10_inside03_jarvis-cocker.jpg

It was a stimulating read on a couple of levels.

There are people that í know, or have known, that would wish with all their hearts that Morrissey was doing exactly this kind of piece, and occupying the kind of cultural cranny that Cocker cosily inhabits. {The Guardian thought they were on to a winner when they hooked Armitage up with Moz in 2010; and look how that turned out}. And í kind of get that wish.

But then, there was a rather sad line in the interview, when Jarvis says, "But I became aware that no-one was waiting with their tongue out for me to make an album". He's a Pop Star, with no Pop.
Or as the magazine intro puts it he is a 'British Cultural icon...an old college room-mate they'd clearly like to re-connect with'.
Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't find Jarvis forced or fake, but then I don't know him. I do think he is more in touch with normal life than Morrissey, though. so from that point alone, I don't think Morrissey could do the things he does. I think he's better educated, for a start; I can't see Morrissey being a commissioning editor at Faber & Faber, his last book was unintelligible garbage. Jarvis also went on Question Time to publicly state/defend his views, something Morrissey has allegedly been asked to do many times and always chickened out of.

"Better educated " I see. I can only assume you are young or just don't quite get it, thats not to say you wont . Yes in a school type sense he probably is "better educated" , he probably is a "nicer " person as well but what makes people like Mark E Smith and Moz great is that they are their own people , with their own worlds. Original thinkers. If you want educated go and hang out with college lecturers , don't go on pop star websites . There is more to intelligence than the classroom and being able to fit into various work places .
I think you know when I said moz can do what jarvis does , I meant in terms of his cultural image/space , subject matter, and so on. Which is what was being talked about above .
Morrissey in fact had that place Jarvis now had , Jarvis is the one who tried to fill Moz's space when he got tired of it - a deal he made with NME
As for Question time , that is LOL in the extreme. Is that really your idea of intelligent people?
Even Adam Ricketts and Will Young went on QT. The BBC are runts, biased game playing c***s The fact that Moz sees that and doesn't play their game makes him worth 469823649837264 Jarvis Cockers .
Its nice for Jarvis he has his F&F to fall back on , I mean he isn't really setting the world alight with his Lps and tours is he?
So what if List Of The Lost isn't brilliant , its not as bad as some say , its a bit misunderstood I think . People are trying to make out he tired to write War and Peace, when really he had a stab a type of Jack Kerouac pulp novel
"Each to their own " though .
I agree with what Joe said above . Jarvis pretended to be an outsider , while spending the 90s going to every media bash going . He was very intertwined with scenes and the London media world. Jarvis for all his working class pretence is at heart your average middle class art student .

As for Simon the poet , he tried to stitch Moz up, he admitted moz wasnt being racist after the interview ran , after they got their pound of flesh . why not write it up like that then? The reason he wrote it and let The G do a run up to the article publication with a "guess what Morrissey has said this time" wink and nudge is because hes a back stabber only caring about staying in favour with the media types. The media world is full of these careerists .
Dave Haslam, is another , for example , going on twitter and Facebook going on about what a racist, nasty person moz is one minute , being a speaker at Moz Army event the next . Bitching about moz one minute , showing his picture of a Moz post card the next If you dont like someone why do a moz event?
"Ive been stabbed in the back ,so many many times"
Morrissey has been an successful pop singer on a world wide level since he was 24/25 so of course he isn't going to win any games of "how much does a loaf of bread cost" but he is possibly one of the most down to Earth , in his own way, of all the icons and world famous major pop stars. Jarvis only became famous at age 30 .
Now all of the what i have said may make it seem like im a Mozbot im not , good knows hes made some mistakes but he is his own person , he does his own thing , stands his ground , he isnt dependent on being on good terms with the Guardian or pop movements ,
Jarvis is an ok media figure , talented , able but he doen't have the magic

My mind goes back to an edition of Later with Jools Holland (and his beguiling boogie-woogie piano) when Pulp and Morrissey were on it. (1995 I think) Moz did Boyracer and Sunny. Pulp were manifestly the headliners (probably because of Common People which is a great pop song)

I was taken aback by how much Jarvis was aping Morrissey, the 80s Morrissey, but his voice let him down.

Having seen Jarvis at the Scott Walker prom I am still of the same mind. He cannae sing for toffee.

It always gets me how folks don't rate the Smiths or Morrissey but regard Pulp or Jarvis as revolutionary. They were good at what they did but they were not The Smiths

To think Moz would want to be anyway like Jarvis and have his space in British culture is to wholly miss the point of Moz. Moz was getting shoe honed into the media friendly eccentric role , he chose not to go down that route . He could have had what Jarvis has at any time , he still could. Jarvis can never have what Moz has
He rightly saw that its fake ,pretend "look at me in my red shoes my plastic bags with with packed lunch in " its so forced .

Agree with this. Morrissey didn't want to be a national treasure when it was his for the taking post-Quarry (around the time of ROTT). He practically self-sabotaged it

I must say I really like Jarvis. One of my faves. Pulp's early work was just too strange for almost anyone. By the time they made it around to His' & Her's they had found their stride. I saw them open for Blur back in the Britpop days. They were amazing! It was Jarvis's Birthday and he gave everyone some of his Birthday treats. They also played Common People before it was a twinkle in the eyes of a CD. I have never been so blown away by an opening act. Sadly, I only really knew "Joyriders" before attending.

Loved "Don't Let Him Waste Your Time". Great song meaning and strange for a guy to sing about. Thanks for blowing the cover for all those a-hole guys who treat women like crap. No man should ever treat a woman like that. Kudos for Jarvis for being pro-woman!

"Better educated " I see. I can only assume you are young or just don't quite get it, thats not to say you wont . Yes in a school type sense he probably is "better educated" , he probably is a "nicer " person as well but what makes people like Mark E Smith and Moz great is that they are their own people , with their own worlds. Original thinkers. If you want educated go and hang out with college lecturers , don't go on pop star websites . There is more to intelligence than the classroom and being able to fit into various work places .
I think you know when I said moz can do what jarvis does , I meant in terms of his cultural image/space , subject matter, and so on. Which is what was being talked about above .
Morrissey in fact had that place Jarvis now had , Jarvis is the one who tried to fill Moz's space when he got tired of it - a deal he made with NME
As for Question time , that is LOL in the extreme. Is that really your idea of intelligent people?
Even Adam Ricketts and Will Young went on QT. The BBC are runts, biased game playing c***s The fact that Moz sees that and doesn't play their game makes him worth 469823649837264 Jarvis Cockers .
Its nice for Jarvis he has his F&F to fall back on , I mean he isn't really setting the world alight with his Lps and tours is he?
So what if List Of The Lost isn't brilliant , its not as bad as some say , its a bit misunderstood I think . People are trying to make out he tired to write War and Peace, when really he had a stab a type of Jack Kerouac pulp novel
"Each to their own " though .
I agree with what Joe said above . Jarvis pretended to be an outsider , while spending the 90s going to every media bash going . He was very intertwined with scenes and the London media world. Jarvis for all his working class pretence is at heart your average middle class art student .

As for Simon the poet , he tried to stitch Moz up, he admitted moz wasnt being racist after the interview ran , after they got their pound of flesh . why not write it up like that then? The reason he wrote it and let The G do a run up to the article publication with a "guess what Morrissey has said this time" wink and nudge is because hes a back stabber only caring about staying in favour with the media types. The media world is full of these careerists .
Dave Haslam, is another , for example , going on twitter and Facebook going on about what a racist, nasty person moz is one minute , being a speaker at Moz Army event the next . Bitching about moz one minute , showing his picture of a Moz post card the next If you dont like someone why do a moz event?
"Ive been stabbed in the back ,so many many times"
Morrissey has been an successful pop singer on a world wide level since he was 24/25 so of course he isn't going to win any games of "how much does a loaf of bread cost" but he is possibly one of the most down to Earth , in his own way, of all the icons and world famous major pop stars. Jarvis only became famous at age 30 .
Now all of the what i have said may make it seem like im a Mozbot im not , good knows hes made some mistakes but he is his own person , he does his own thing , stands his ground , he isnt dependent on being on good terms with the Guardian or pop movements ,
Jarvis is an ok media figure , talented , able but he doen't have the magic
Come back to me when you can string together a coherent argument.

Lets be honest, his whole schtick screams Loser. Holding the plastic bag, the dork glasses, the college professor look......jumped the shark back in day one.

Have to agree with this.
Doesn't mean I don't like Jarvis, though.
Like Moz, there's exactly enough room for one of him.

To think Moz would want to be anyway like Jarvis and have his space in British culture is to wholly miss the point of Moz. Moz was getting shoe honed into the media friendly eccentric role , he chose not to go down that route . He could have had what Jarvis has at any time , he still could. Jarvis can never have what Moz has
He rightly saw that its fake ,pretend "look at me in my red shoes my plastic bags with with packed lunch in " its so forced .

Having seen Jarvis at the Scott Walker prom I am still of the same mind. He cannae sing for toffee.

Yes, I never realised just what a bad singer Cocker is until I listened to that concert. I'd almost go so far as to say that between his dreadful singing and Richard Hawley's 'jokes', they went some way to spoiling that concert.

Those of you saying Jarvis is basically a fake and its all a fascade, obviously dont know much about him. Hes always been weird, awkward, literary, paper bag, vintage, dirty, glasses looking...
Just search for any pics of him from childhood thru high school. Hes dressed the same since he was in grade school ffs and even high school and college pics and old classmate recounts support this. He's just that way .

Whereas Morrissey...it seems its a fascade. Persona.

It is the dogs bollocks Stan II, as they say around Bloomsbury.

Interviews are thrillingly long & thoughtful, and the articles are always surprising and unexpected.
In this one, after Jarvis you get a member of Pussy Riot on bedtime reading in a Russian prison, an explanation of how to get stains out of a 300 year old christening gown, a recipe for bread and Will Self's sex-life.

And it smells divine.

Cheers Joe, I often wondered how to get stains out of gowns. Have just signed up for a years subscription on your recommendation.

Tags
autobiography
Back
Top Bottom