Jensen Interceptor

ChristianDior

I've wasted my life...
Ahh, the Jensen Interceptor. the perfect Moz vehicle..

Ridiculously fast and frightfully expensive sixties sports car icon of which only 6000 were made..

Body made in Italy, American V-8 engine, English assembly

(Italoamerican blood, English heart, this I'm made of)

But for the life of me, I can't quite wrap my head around a teenage dad owning one, especially with that nasty methadone habit..

Then again, he does own an estate.

Last edited:

Ridiculously fast and frightfully expensive sixties sports car icon of which only 6000 were made..

But for the life of me, I can't quite wrap my head around a teenage dad owning one, especially with that nasty methadone habit..

Then again, he does own an estate.

File:Jensen_Interceptor_rear.jpg

The estate mentioned is a council house estate, not a country estate owned by wealthy dukes and earls:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Jensen_Interceptor_S.jpg

The estate mentioned is a council house estate, not a country estate owned by wealthy dukes and earls:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

This is quite helpful, thanks for the explanation, I do recall the estate was described as humble, makes sense, us yanks sometimes need schooling in these terms, but still, now how does the teenage dad own such a ridiculously expensive car?

Ahh, he's happy, I'll just leave him alone..:guitar:

Allow another ignorant American to ask a question - what does "it's just a runaround" mean?

Allow another ignorant American to ask a question - what does "it's just a runaround" mean?

It's something to ''run around in'', he has it just to go to local shops or drop the kids off at school, that sort of thing and not because he needs to travel miles and miles each week to get to work or visit places.

Jukebox Jury

It's something to ''run around in'', he has it just to go to local shops or drop the kids off at school, that sort of thing and not because he needs to travel miles and miles each week to get to work or visit places.

Jukebox Jury

Oh, so it's like "have-a-go"?
:D

Perhaps this is a clue to show that the teenage dad in question isn't quite the hero that that Moz apparently paints? Something to do with sponging off society, claiming benefits etc. His excuse for owning such a vehicle is 'it's just a runaround' perhaps. Hmm interesting thread!

Perhaps this is a clue to show that the teenage dad in question isn't quite the hero that that Moz apparently paints? Something to do with sponging off society, claiming benefits etc. His excuse for owning such a vehicle is 'it's just a runaround' perhaps. Hmm interesting thread!

The song is a bitter one about a man in say his 40's, who looks down on the teenage dad because he's on on heroin substitute and has a kid and not working, on social benefits etc etc.
This man is not happy about his life because he just goes to work (cart horse provider, nobody cares about you, as long as you're out there, bringing it in) and yet as much as he despises the teenage dad and his lifestyle, he can see that the teenage dad is happy and content with his life, something the man doesnt have.

Jukebox Jury

(in a whiney voice): I think you'll find that the bodies were made in England apart from a few of the early ones. Italian body design though.

A Jensen would seem to be a bit of a rare thoroughbred to belong to the 'Teenage Dad'; but having said that there's a bloke round the corner from me on my estate who has a Lotus Eclat....it's up on axle stands mind. These days teenagers seem to only be interested in VW Golfs and Citroen Saxos.

'While the Jensen Interceptor serves as a literal run-around, a mode of transport, I've often picked up the mention of the runaround more in connection with the guy that Morrissey's taking down a peg or two. If you let the last line of the chorus run into the verse, it introduces why the conventional safe man is also on a pointless loop in his life. The meaning in this sense, an extant formal definition, would be repetitive effort without purpose or satisfaction, and more likely under someone else's control and maybe for others' entertainment, similar to a wild goose chase:

...it's just a runaround

You defer to the views of
the television news
Let someone do your thinking for you
And you still buy a daily newspaper
And you find everything there but the news

...it's just a runaround

You become your parents' parent
And you love them
But you can't help feeling used
And you hate the teenage dad on his estate
Because he's poor but he's happier than you
They're all laughing at you
you're a dipper, a slider,
cart-horse provider
Nobody cares about you
Just as long as you're out
there bringing it in...

The song is a bitter one about a man in say his 40's, who looks down on the teenage dad because he's on on heroin substitute and has a kid and not working, on social benefits etc etc.
This man is not happy about his life because he just goes to work (cart horse provider, nobody cares about you, as long as you're out there, bringing it in) and yet as much as he despises the teenage dad and his lifestyle, he can see that the teenage dad is happy and content with his life, something the man doesnt have.

Jukebox Jury

I don't understand why you've quoted my post.

12347-1974-Jensen-Interceptor.jpg

The car broke with Jensen tradition by having a steel bodyshell instead of glass-reinforced plastic and by having the body designed by an outside firm, Carrozzeria Touring of Italy, rather than the in-house staff. The early bodies were Italian-built, by Vignale, before production by Jensen themselves began – with subtle body modifications – in West Bromwich.
Thanks Tingle, can you find me one of these?

Last edited:
!BigCRJg!mk~$(KGrHqIOKjIEsmiFeb7SBLPSZ)gCzw~~_3.JPG

Mystery solved, at this moment on Ebay with a single mouse click you could own this beauty for a mere five thousand dollars US, entirely within the budget of a methadone addled teenage dad.

Last edited:
!BiniNMQCGk~$(KGrHqYOKjgEsn4HSGr1BLP9M-uDL!~~_12.JPG

And I imagine you could pick this one up for little more than a fresh bottle of methadone, its just a runaround..

Last edited:
You know what? If the stereo works that's cool. He doesn't really need to go anywhere.

Shouldn't drive when you are all hopped up on methadone anyway...:cool:

I have been thinking a lot about this song, mainly because I just keep playing Swords over and over again in an unhealthy manner and I can't help but think of my dear friend the legendary English promoter Rob Knight who told me once something like this:

"The main difference between us and you American c***s is we despise anyone who we perceive to be happy and content and doing well, whereas you wankers are so happy for them.."

sounds a bit like 'we hate it when our friends become successful'?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom