Jillys of Manchester

Flicked through their facebook pictures...they all look like babies to me.

Some sort of protest taking place outside Jilly's on Saturday....cannie see what good that will do.

I'll have to pop down though.

I wasn't taking the piss, I'm genuinely gutted. Especially as it's totally out of the blue. Manchester city centre is rapidly becoming chav scum only.

It's sad news.

Manchester's losing its touch day by day. :-(

You are all welcome in Chicago. We have a Jilly's here, too. It's a Sinatra bar, though. I hope that's not a problem.

Anyway, we'd be happy to have you.

There is a club in Sunderland called Jilly's - Resident DJ is a Mr Keith Morrell, plays great songs by artists such as Roxy Music, Queen, Wham, Pet Shop Boys, and Culture Club. He is also arranging a guest appearance by Yusuf Islam.

On behalf of a recently departed friend, I post this...

"What no one has mentioned here is it just isn't Jilly's that has closed but also Jilly's twin venue of The Music Box.
The Music Box is in the basement and during the punk / post punk days it was known as Rafters.
Rob Gretton was a DJ here and it is where he fist saw a fledgling Joy Division (may have even been Warsaw at that point) and then offered to manage the band, and if you have seen 24 Hour Party People, the scene where Ian Curtis and the band first meet Tony Wilson (where Curtis calls him a c**t) that occurred in Rafters. Practically all of the local and national bands played there, including Depeche Mode and Ludus at one gig that Morrissey reviewed for Sounds.
The Smiths played their 4th gig at Rafters, supporting Richard Hell, in February 1983."

P.

Back
Top Bottom