Joe Chiccarelli discusses recording Morrissey, "Spent The Day In Bed" walkthrough at NAMM 2018

UPDATE Jan. 29:

YouTube video has been removed but Oh My posted earlier:

He says: "We've done 2 and a half albums together and we are about to go back in the studio and finish that half of an album that we didn't finish".

Also, Oh My posted the link with some similar information:

A producer’s dream’: Joe Chiccarelli on working with Morrissey on brand new album Low In High School - PSNEurope (Nov. 16, 2017)
Renowned producer Joe Chiccarelli recently returned to the studio to produce a second consecutive album with Morrissey in the form of Low In High School. He tells Daniel Gumble what it was like to work with the enigmatic star and why he is a “producer’s dream"…

From Dominic:

LIHS producer Joe Chiccarelli discusses recording Moz and in particular walking through the recording of 'Spent the Day in Bed', at NAMM 2018 (music merchants conference). Approx 45 mins.

Last edited:
This was a good one.
"Perhaps I might want a pop song from him, but what's on his mind is something much more intense. With great artists you learn to trust."
That's what ya noodles can't handle.

Distortion in mozzs voice at around about the 20 minute mark was very interesting.good to hear joes take on things.

Thanks for posting that, I loved it. Always nice to see how things are played out and Morrissey's creative input. I like that Joe is so enthusiastic and quite charming in checking how loud to play the track back.

Last edited:
Joe is one of the good ones. I just love his innocent, almost childlike enthusiasm about working with Morrissey. The moments where he tries to impart the usual conventions on Morrissey and then is politely put in his place realising Morrissey knows exactly what he's doing are priceless. But you do get the sense it's a two way street in the Joe/Moz world. This video must be upsetting to the usual suspects who would love to hear that the whole process was painful. LIHS is a fantastic album. One of the best.

Morrissey could shit in a blender and then sing over it getting all minced up--you'd think that is fantastic.

LIHS is just as bad as WPINOYB.

It is okay to be critical of Morrissey--do not be such a sycophant.

Thanks for this post David ! :thumb:

VERY interesting, A must watch !

day 2 ? Different take/information, again a discussion on 'Spent the day' though, a lot of information is repeated.

From Dominic:

LIHS producer Joe Chiccarelli discusses recording Moz and in particular walking through the recording of 'Spent the Day in Bed', at NAMM 2018 (music merchants conference). Approx 45 mins.

Last edited:
This is great. It explains music producing in more technical terms to the ordinary listener. It is so easy for people who know very little about music engineering and producing to put down the music, or the artist. There goes so much more into the final product than what meets the eye. I really like the acknowledgement from Mr. Chicarrelli for Morrissey's expertise and professionalism.

Thanks for this post David ! :thumb:

VERY interesting, A must watch !

day 2 ? Different take/information, again a discussion on 'Spent the day' though, a lot of information is repeated.

I loved the first video and I only watched the first minute of this one and I already have a question!

He says: "We've done 2 and a half albums together and we are about to go back in the studio and finish that half of an album that we didn't finish".

Is a new album coming soon????? :openmouth:

I loved the first video and I only watched the first minute of this one and I already have a question!

A new album in late 2018 would be great! And it would make more sense to build a new album around those six (?) unreleased songs than to release them on singles or on a mini-album. This is based on the assumption, that those songs weren't left off LIHS for not being strong enough to be released as album tracks.

is this not the super duper re-release like they did with quarry.

read that post wrong,ignore my comment above.

A new album in late 2018 would be great! And it would make more sense to build a new album around those six (?) unreleased songs than to release them on singles or on a mini-album. This is based on the assumption, that those songs weren't left off LIHS for not being strong enough to be released as album tracks.

I was surprised because he did not say such thing in a way that sounds like a hope or a wish, but something already confirmed. It would be great to have another Morrissey album soon and not in 2 or 3 years. The ONLY thing I would change about Morrissey is that I wish he was more prolific (thankfully he's not the Sisters of Mercy, who are recording their fourth album since 1997! :p).

The ONLY thing I would change about Morrissey is that I wish he was more prolific (thankfully he's not the Sisters of Mercy, who are recording their fourth album since 1997!

As someone who is a big fan of David Sylvian I share your pain.

I was surprised because he did not say such thing in a way that sounds like a hope or a wish, but something already confirmed. It would be great to have another Morrissey album soon and not in 2 or 3 years. The ONLY thing I would change about Morrissey is that I wish he was more prolific (thankfully he's not the Sisters of Mercy, who are recording their fourth album since 1997! :p).
Wait what? The Sisters are doing a new album? I am excited!!!

Wait what? The Sisters are doing a new album? I am excited!!!

No, they are not. I was simply joking because Andrew Eldritch has spent at least the last 20 years talking about recording a new album and then giving reasons about why it's not the right time yet or sometimes saying that he's not interested, just to say a few month later that there's a plan to record a new album. The last time I've heard something about it was before the last US presidential elections, when Eldritch said that if Trump won the elections, then he would record the new album and that it was going to be the most political album of the Sisters with hard statements against Trump... but nobody was too surprised when it didn't happen.

I'm not one for technical details, but I found this fascinating.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom