Joe Moss, the original manager of The Smiths has died at 72

Joe Moss (RIP) - Tribute at Johnny-Marr.com

Sad news. :(

http://www.johnny-marr.com/from-johnny/joe-moss

"We regret to announce that, after a brave struggle with cancer, Joe Moss, manager of Johnny Marr and The Smiths, has died at the age of seventy-two.

Joe Moss was already a legend in Manchester by the start of the 1980s, which is when he and Johnny Marr first met: a patron of the famed Twisted Wheel, and an instigator of the pioneering store Eighth Day, Moss had turned his love of street fashion into Crazy Face, an influential clothing line with a store in the City’s Chapel Walks. Marr worked in the clothes shop next door, and at the age of seventeen, introduced himself to Moss as a 'frustrated musician'; the pair quickly became close friends, with Marr moving in to the Moss household and placed in charge of a new Crazy Face store underneath the label’s Portland Street headquarters. Moss mentored and encouraged Marr’s musical ambitions, and when The Smiths came together, he supplied the group with space at Portland Street to rehearse at, and a PA for them to play through; he bought them a van, guided the group through their first shows, secured record contracts for the UK and America, publishing and agency deals, and helped hire a dedicated crew. He left the group unexpectedly in late 1983, while 'This Charming Man' was riding high in the charts and with their debut LP completed, on the eve of The Smiths’ first trip to America.

'Joe was a one off, an amazing person and totally unique,' says Johnny Marr. 'He started looking after me when I was seventeen; it was Joe who put the idea in my head to go and knock on Morrissey’s door. He invested his time and money in us when no one else wanted to know, and his belief in us kept us going. Without him there wouldn’t have been any Smiths. He was an original beatnik and a true bohemian, respected by all. Everyone who met him loved him; he can never be replaced.'

After The Smiths, Moss helped reinvigorate the Manchester scene of the 1990s by promoting shows at the Night and Day Café on Oldham Street. He resumed managing with the group Marion, whose 1998 album ‘The Program’ was produced by Johnny Marr; he also managed Haven, again enlisting Marr as a producer. In 1999, Joe Moss resumed his role as Johnny Marr’s manager, a position he retained until the present.

He is survived by his wife Sarah and his children David, Rachel, Ivan, Stella and Edie."

Thankyou so much Joe, if it wasn't for you God only knows.
Your fight is over now Sir so rest in peace.
Thanks for everything you did.

Benny-the-British-Butcher ������ On a train heaving to Euston

:thumb:

- - - Updated - - -

The Smiths needed Morrissey to be The Smiths. Morrissey never needed The Smiths to be Morrissey. C 2015

:thumb: logical

The Smiths needed Morrissey to be The Smiths. Morrissey never needed The Smiths to be Morrissey. C 2015
Also available in......The Smiths needed Johnny Marr to be The Smiths. Johnny Marr never needed The Smiths to be Johnny Marr. C 2015
Or......The Smiths needed Andy Rourke to be The Smiths. Andy Rourke never needed The Smiths to be Andy Rourke. C 2015
Or......The Smiths needed Mike Joyce to be The Smiths. Mike Joyce never needed The Smiths to be Mike Joyce. C 2015

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Morrissey was more important to The Smiths than any of the other three. Not only did he write the lyrics, front the band, develop the artwork, handle the PR via explosive interview, and through sheer heroic charisma draw the crowds, but he also dictated the melody of every single non instrumental song. His vision lifted the music to a higher level and dimension. Sure, the bass provided a song within a song, and Marr provided the stonework building blocks, but Morrissey was the lynchpin connecting it all. The glamorous glue. Just look at the post Smiths output. If you think Marr's solo albums even come close to Morrissey's then you are deluding yourself. The audience who attended Smiths concerts were there to see and hear Morrissey sing. End of story.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Morrissey was more important to The Smiths than any of the other three. Not only did he write the lyrics, front the band, develop the artwork, handle the PR via explosive interview, and through sheer heroic charisma draw the crowds, but he also dictated the melody of every single non instrumental song. His vision lifted the music to a higher level and dimension. Sure, the bass provided a song within a song, and Marr provided the stonework building blocks, but Morrissey was the lynchpin connecting it all. The glamorous glue. Just look at the post Smiths output. If you think Marr's solo albums even come close to Morrissey's then you are deluding yourself. The audience who attended Smiths concerts were there to see and hear Morrissey sing. End of story.
I agree with you to an extent......because isn't that what being a lead singer is about? Think about any great bands.....Stones with Jagger, Led Zep with Plant, Clash with Strummer, R.E.M. with Stipe.....people associate bands with the singer. But to me, it's the sum of all parts.....goes for The Beatles, The Smiths, etc.

I agree with you to an extent......because isn't that what being a lead singer is about? Think about any great bands.....Stones with Jagger, Led Zep with Plant, Clash with Strummer, R.E.M. with Stipe.....people associate bands with the singer. But to me, it's the sum of all parts.....goes for The Beatles, The Smiths, etc.

True, and the parts worked so well together with The Smiths. I loved Andy and Mike, just like I think Rick Buckler and Bruce Foxton were very important to the sound of The Jam. But ..... they pale into insignificance compared to the artistic importance and output of Moz and Weller after their bands broke up. Marr was at his best with Moz. I dare to say that Moz has surpassed The Smiths on occasion (Viva Hate, Vauxhall, You Are The Quarry, Last of the famous, November, a Nobody Loves Us, Jack the Ripper, I've changed my plea, etc). Marr certainly has not (although I loved his work with a The The).

the fact of the matter is that the smiths couldnt continue becuause johnny left. thats a fact. moz couldnt carry on by himself and still cant.
he cant write a song by himself.

True, and the parts worked so well together with The Smiths. I loved Andy and Mike, just like I think Rick Buckler and Bruce Foxton were very important to the sound of The Jam. But ..... they pale into insignificance compared to the artistic importance and output of Moz and Weller after their bands broke up. Marr was at his best with Moz. I dare to say that Moz has surpassed The Smiths on occasion (Viva Hate, Vauxhall, You Are The Quarry, Last of the famous, November, a Nobody Loves Us, Jack the Ripper, I've changed my plea, etc). Marr certainly has not (although I loved his work with a The The).

:thumb:, Agree to your last two posts. And THE THE may have been Johnny's only claim to anything worth while
after The Smiths. Saw The The on the Mind Bomb tour (w/Marr)... amazing. A lot of players need a poet of a front man/woman to really come up with anything of deep/true value. And even then it is rare indeed.

the fact of the matter is that the smiths couldnt continue becuause johnny left. thats a fact. moz couldnt carry on by himself and still cant.
he cant write a song by himself.

i agree tbh

- - - Updated - - -

umm tru dat

- - - Updated - - -

flop comment and moz solo music will never surpassed The Smiths. Only deluded moz stans think that :)

are you seriously starting this eternal argument on a thread about the death of someone who wasn't only the manager of the smiths, but also a close friend and father figure for johnny? now is not the place or the time.

:thumb:, Agree to your last two posts. And THE THE may have been Johnny's only claim to anything worth while
after The Smiths. Saw The The on the Mind Bomb tour (w/Marr)... amazing. A lot of players need a poet of a front man/woman to really come up with anything of deep/true value. And even then it is rare indeed.
Not disagreeing with you as I love The The, but I was at the johnny marr gig in Dublin last Sunday and "Getting away with it" by electronic was wonderful live, as was johnnys version of "There is a light", he finished the show by saying " God bless dublin, god bless Ireland, see you next year"

Not disagreeing with you as I love The The, but I was at the johnny marr gig in Dublin last Sunday and "Getting away with it" by electronic was wonderful live, as was johnnys version of "There is a light", he finished the show by saying " God bless dublin, god bless Ireland, see you next year"

Glad you had fun at the show. And 'Getting Away..' Is one other song over the years he did that's not bad. But I'm talking about depth.I'm talking about history in the making... the power of a true song that will touch forever.

Last edited:
Glad you had fun at the show. And 'Getting Away..' Is one other song over the years that... he did that's not bad. But I'm talking about depth.I'm talking about history in the making... the power of a true song that will touch forever.
Thanks, it was a great show, especially for £20, for me "new town velocity" is the best solo song so far, I've just bought johnnys live album from iTunes, 17 tracks and maybe only 2 of those I'm not keen on

Also available in......The Smiths needed Johnny Marr to be The Smiths. Johnny Marr never needed The Smiths to be Johnny Marr. C 2015
Or......The Smiths needed Andy Rourke to be The Smiths. Andy Rourke never needed The Smiths to be Andy Rourke. C 2015
Or......The Smiths needed Mike Joyce to be The Smiths. Mike Joyce never needed The Smiths to be Mike Joyce. C 2015

I guess... what do you/we mean by... 'to be' ? .......or has that always been the question ? :)

Last edited:
There will be no statement from Moz. Hell will freeze over...

i didnt know he and marr were so close. what did marr have to say about him

Jesus im starting to realise Morrissey was a wonky looking gentleman even in his youth. But just starting to! For now he is still cute in my eyes.

:thumb: Strange attracts strange in a world of stiff bores. What's that scratched on the wall near his lovely profile?...

' a heartbreaker sat here' ? Did Johnny T write that? No, Don't think he knew how to write.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom