Johnny Marr: ‘A lot of people don’t even want to see The Smiths reform’

Johnny Marr: ‘A lot of people don’t even want to see The Smiths reform’ - The Irish Times
The former Smiths guitarist on his third album, ‘Call the Comet’ – his most personal yet – and why he's happy to stay solo

Excerpt:

“The The reforming was a proposition that I had to think about. I played on the comeback single and playing with The The is a really great part of my story. So I guess if I was gonna join another band – and I didn’t join The The – I probably won’t join anybody. But I will be open to collaborations again in a couple of years, I think.”

I’m not going to ask that question, I tell him – the one that begins with “will” and ends in “reform” – but he smiles as he admits that he has been asked it less frequently in recent years. “Yeah, much less,” he says. “I think a lot of people don’t even wanna see it happen right now.”

“Everything that I was doing in The Smiths I can do now; but there’s things that I do now that I wouldn’t have had the skill or the mindset to do in The Smiths. I would never have been able to stand in front of a 70-piece orchestra and play to thousands of people, for example.

“So it’s all good. I’m happy with how things have turned out.”

Also:

Honour and good hair: Johnny Marr on what it takes to be in a band - Financial Times (subscription required)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Johnny. If The Smiths reformed they would probably break up wih even more drama, as you would expect from Morrissey. The Smiths left us with over 70 brilliant songs. I'm good with that.

Also, Johnny's covers got much better. Seems as if he worked on his vocals. Instrumentaly they're perfect, some sound better than they ever did.

If they did reunite it would be without Mike and Andy, Moz would assemble a proper rhythm section.
Now, can :frogface: control his dramatic nature? I dont think so.
Besides Moz makes more money without having to split with the has beens. The new 45/Tshirt is
selling like hotcakes.

I have perusing the different type of trolls and have been able, I think, to zero in
as to what type of troll this "Surface/Skinny" is:

THE CRYBABY
crybaby.jpg

If someone says something mean to the Crybaby, she’ll become hysterical and swear she’s never coming back to the board. Of course, you’ll see her three days later when she slinks back for more abuse. The Crybaby often tells on you to the mods and swears she’s going to get you banned.

Totally agree. I think the reality would be far different from the scenario we would wish for. Morrissey would destroy it within weeks with hostile press/weird drama entirely of his own making - he just wouldn't be able to help himself. It's become his way of life and he seems totally locked in to that pattern.

Great to hear You Just Haven't Earned it Yet Baby - one of my absolute favourites, that guitar riff is just sublime.
I don't think you could buy off Johnny these days to do it. His replies, while diplomatic as always, seem to hide incredulous laughter at the thought of it lately. Guilt by implication and association and all that.

I don't think you could buy off Johnny these days to do it. His replies, while diplomatic as always, seem to hide incredulous laughter at the thought of it lately. Guilt by implication and association and all that.
It must be quite an odd position for him to be in, watching this circus that has nothing to do with him yet finding himself harnessed to it in perpetuity for the sake of people's nostalgia. When you get divorced you can start a new life and people don't forever link you with your crazy ex. I sometimes wonder what will happen when Morrissey dies (not that I'm wishing it to be soon), and whether Johnny, Andy and Mike will show up for the funeral.

It must be quite an odd position for him to be in, watching this circus that has nothing to do with him yet finding himself harnessed to it in perpetuity for the sake of people's nostalgia. When you get divorced you can start a new life and people don't forever link you with your crazy ex. I sometimes wonder what will happen when Morrissey dies (not that I'm wishing it to be soon), and whether Johnny, Andy and Mike will show up for the funeral.
They would probably just go so they could make sure he was actually dead. :lbf:

If the "Independent" and the "Daily Mail" give the Drama J album good reviews thats a sure sign it
actually sucks Comet:soccerball:sdoh:

From the Financial Times interview, the part in which he talks about Morrissey:

The week before our interview, Morrissey had exhorted his fans to consider supporting the far-right party For Britain. Does Marr worry that the legacy of one of Britain's greatest bands is being tarnished by his former band mate:

"Nah" he says dismissing the question as a whole, rather than its premise. "What else can I say? There are people who've probably said more enlightening things about it than me. It's not that I don't care. Just that I don't care very much." And then he turns his attention to his hair. He does care about that. After all, he's a rock musician, and rock musicians have to honour the hair.

In an interview with Alan Corr on RTÉ. Ie he méntions he is still considering getting an Irish passport post Brexit and laments the rise of the far right in Britain as addressed in the song 'Bug,' on the new album.

Hi you guys. Andy lives here in New York City and I never hear anything about him or if he is making appearances. A friend of mine saw him on the L Train from Brooklyn but that was years ago. Aw, he's lovely.
Big giant weiner too. I would love just to hear him do the old records with anyone, any fans could play guitar or sing . That wouldnt matter. His element was divine. I dont want to say was because they they are all still alive.
Andy has a large penis.

I love this idea that Lefties are heavily emotionally attached to Einstein, that's pretty random.

Plus the idea that nothing Morrissey has ever said is racist in the slightest, but we need to reassess Einstein because he was rude about the Chinese.

This new agreement is leading for this reunion to have been moving in place. All of the both sides will have been heard in this decision.

Hey dum dum. All of us are on this rock by coincidence. "You" could be anybody.

That sounds like something your lush mother told you when you asked why you grew up without a father...

That sounds like something your lush mother told you when you asked why you grew up without a father...
No, it's something I sorted out on my own long after moving out of my parents home. I guess there's something wrong with me, because I feel empathy for people who are not me, nor live in as much comfort and privilege as I do. And really, anybody is only a few disasters away from finding out first hand how the other side lives.
But f*** me, right? My own fault for having emotions and the ability to reflect on things beyond myself.

No, it's something I sorted out on my own long after moving out of my parents home. I guess there's something wrong with me, because I feel empathy for people who are not me, nor live in as much comfort and privilege as I do. And really, anybody is only a few disasters away from finding out first hand how the other side lives.
But f*** me, right? My own fault for having emotions and the ability to reflect on things beyond myself.

doh:
Why dont you give up your comfort, sell your comfortable stuff and donate to the jobless?:smile:

doh:
Why dont you give up your comfort, sell your comfortable stuff and donate to the jobless?:smile:
I do my own charitable works. I don't brag about them though because altruism for accolades makes me sick. Like all of those little viral videos where people exploit their good deeds for attention. Yuck. I live fairly simply, but the presence of things like oh, I dunno, not getting bombs dropped on my head, or having clean food and water kind of put me up there.

I do my own charitable works. I don't brag about them though because altruism for accolades makes me sick. Like all of those little viral videos where people exploit their good deeds for attention. Yuck. I live fairly simply, but the presence of things like oh, I dunno, not getting bombs dropped on my head, or having clean food and water kind of put me up there.

WtF? You live fairly simply? ONE SINGLE POST AGO you lived in comfort and luxury:moneybag::moneybag::screamcat:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom