Johnny Marr "ask me anything" to entertain fans during lockdown

That's fascinating, re Half A Person. Every single time I listen to that I can't help thinking that it's such a limited, almost nondescript piece of music if you strip away Morrissey's vocals and lyrics. (Whereas there are plenty of other Smiths songs that are staggering pieces of music, even without Morrissey's extra layer on top.)

I've always been fond of it, but in Leeds it moved me to near tears. Something incredibly powerful about a 60 year old man singing the coda to that song, it makes more sense now than when it was first written and released.

I've always been fond of it, but in Leeds it moved me to near tears. Something incredibly powerful about a 60 year old man singing the coda to that song, it makes more sense now than when it was first written and released.

Yes, I had the same experience with the song at Wembley. So many of his lyrics from back then seem to have aged well. He knew all along that he was incapable of change and that (for me) makes those songs more poignant as he ages. ("Rubber Ring" being the supreme example, I guess.)

Maybe someone should ask him why he threw Morrissey under the bus in such a shameless fashion, just to sell a few more copies of his pointless album.

Maybe someone should ask him why he threw Morrissey under the bus in such a shameless fashion, just to sell a few more copies of his pointless album.
How exactly did he 'throw Morrissey under the bus'? This is some achievement, considering Morrissey has doggedly been throwing himself under it for the last 30+ years.

That's fascinating, re Half A Person. Every single time I listen to that I can't help thinking that it's such a limited, almost nondescript piece of music if you strip away Morrissey's vocals and lyrics. (Whereas there are plenty of other Smiths songs that are staggering pieces of music, even without Morrissey's extra layer on top.)
Yeah, me too Book Boy. It is just a bland, strummy acoustic thing. In terms of musical composition, it's a pretty weak thing although thankfully nowhere near as rubbish as any of Marr's solo stuff.

he has no talent, the little matchstick so he takes it out on Moz who he should be thanking. Moz kept him from
running the mop in gay bars for a living. :grinning:

How exactly did he 'throw Morrissey under the bus'? This is some achievement, considering Morrissey has doggedly been throwing himself under it for the last 30+ years.

Hey there hater, I'd try and respond in an eloquent and articulate fashion if I thought for a second it would make make any kind of difference to your Pavlovian responses. Now get back on 'ignore' where your kind belong.

Hey there hater, I'd try and respond in an eloquent and articulate fashion if I thought for a second it would make make any kind of difference to your Pavlovian responses. Now get back on 'ignore' where your kind belong.
Pavlovian? Well now, there's irony. I'll ask again, how exactly did Johnny throw Morrissey under a bus? You know, it is possible to be a fan of both the man and his music while still acknowledging his shortcomings. Morrissey has built a career on firing off ridiculous pronouncements for attention, raising self-sabotage to an art form in the process. Most long-term fans would struggle to disagree with that.

he has no talent, the little matchstick so he takes it out on Moz who he should be thanking. Moz kept him from
running the mop in gay bars for a living. :grinning:
You 're kidding yourself if you don't think that without Marr, Morrissey wouldn't have BEEN the mop in a gay bar

Yeah but he always rolls out the other side, gets up, dusts himself down and carries on like nothing had happened...he can block out the present and the past now you know ?

You 're kidding yourself if you don't think that without Marr, Morrissey wouldn't have BEEN the mop in a gay bar
You're the hole in the wall the gaylords use at the end of the night cause they haven't pulled! ?

I find it hard to be interested in anything Johnny Marr has done since ending The Smiths. He used to play such beautiful music. Should I ask him what went wrong?

I find it hard to be interested in anything Johnny Marr has done since ending The Smiths. He used to play such beautiful music. Should I ask him what went wrong?

Yes and at the same time, ask him how he feels about Call The Comet having better first week sales than Morrisseys last 2 albums?

Back
Top Bottom