Johnny Marr - awful fashion sense,nanty riah and a pseud

Yeah, what you're saying is true. I guess the only thing I'm adding to that is how unfortunate it was that it came to a point where he felt he had to do that.

Yeah.. I think what is so frustrating about the whole Smiths thing is that you always get the feeling it could have been avoided with a little more communication. Anyway, it's ancient history now. It's sad that they barely speak these days.

What what? (in the butt)

whatever was 'brewing' makes little difference. the facts are: he left. just walked out. no matter what was happening at the time or the situation, that's a cowardly move.
i do understand what kind of pressure may have been on his shoulders, but, it doesn't matter much. morrissey was supposed to be a friend, they could've talked about it, alone, and worked something out.
i believe johnny was pressured by others, namely, his girlfriend/wife with statements like, 'you can do better on your own.' or 'you put up with that? i'd leave if I were you.'
johnny got caught up and fed up and made an emotional and rash decision. it happens, but it doesn't change the fact that what he did was horse shit. the move did help the Smiths jettison into indie legends, that, and morrissey's HUGE effort to stay relevant and interesting throughout his entire career.
morrissey was smiths (and still is), sweety, end of story.
without morrissey, the Smiths are nothing more than a mere spark in music history, morrissey has made sure they'll live forever, running on 16 cylinders.

What?

Johnny has spent 25 years telling every music paper going that Morrissey pushed him out of The Smiths by putting him under too much pressure, sacking producers and managers at the drop of a hat and not "allowing" him to experiment with different types of music. I'm pretty sure Skylarker is aware of that and so are you. You don't have to believe Marr's side of it, you can call bullshit on that story if you like - but it's what he's said for decades and those circumstances aren't "random". He didn't just wake up one day and think "f*** this shit, I'm gone".

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever was 'brewing' makes little difference. the facts are: he left. just walked out. no matter what was happening at the time or the situation, that's a cowardly move.
i do understand what kind of pressure may have been on his shoulders, but, it doesn't matter much. morrissey was supposed to be a friend, they could've talked about it, alone, and worked something out.
i believe johnny was pressured by others, namely, his girlfriend/wife with statements like, 'you can do better on your own.' or 'you put up with that? i'd leave if I were you.'
johnny got caught up and fed up and made an emotional and rash decision. it happens, but it doesn't change the fact that what he did was horse shit. the move did help the Smiths jettison into indie legends, that, and morrissey's HUGE effort to stay relevant and interesting throughout his entire career.
morrissey was smiths (and still is), sweety, end of story.
without morrissey, the Smiths are nothing more than a mere spark in music history, morrissey has made sure they'll live forever, running on 16 cylinders.

There is an interview which discusses this briefly and I can't find the video footage on YouTube, but the audio is there in 4 parts. This part is very good, listen from about 5:45:

Moz basically seems to agree with you. "I think [Johnny] wanted to work with other people, but I imagine that need was...temporary? and I think he probably really did regret dissolving it. It was a dreadful decision he made and he supports it now by saying that The Smiths were a terrible experience and Morrissey was evil and he made us record a Cilla Black song. That's how he justifies his terrible decision".

Fanning brings up a good point about Johnny not having the pride to turn back, too.

There is an interview which discusses this briefly and I can't find the video footage on YouTube, but the audio is there in 4 parts. This part is very good, listen from about 5:45:

Moz basically seems to agree with you. "I think [Johnny] wanted to work with other people, but I imagine that need was...temporary? and I think he probably really did regret dissolving it. It was a dreadful decision he made and he supports it now by saying that The Smiths were a terrible experience and Morrissey was evil and he made us record a Cilla Black song. That's how he justifies his terrible decision".

Fanning brings up a good point about Johnny not having the pride to turn back, too.

Thanks! will listen.

Yeah.. I think what is so frustrating about the whole Smiths thing is that you always get the feeling it could have been avoided with a little more communication. Anyway, it's ancient history now. It's sad that they barely speak these days.

Yeah, well, life goes on.

Back
Top Bottom