Johnny Marr demonstrates How Soon Is Now and This Charming Man on his new Jaguar

Another british bloke that looks like my toilet brush. Dunno if dark hair or dark clothes is the most depressive. Anyone resembling a dried up kitchen cloth should not pose for glossy mags.

He's a lovely guy, but God this is dull. When are interviewers going to ask him something new? I cringed for him when he was asked about the formation of the Smiths for the 698th time. You can hear the boredom in his voice. *sigh* "Well I had this friend called Billy Duffy who knew Steven Morrissey...." :sleeping:. *patiently listens to interviewer recounting TOTP appearances from his youth*. Someone CHALLENGE the man for Gods' sake!

yeah same questions are tiresome but Johnny came across well in this interview - like a nice guy. I really long for the day when he says "Morrissey is the best front man i've worked with, I miss him" - its clearly true but wouldn't it be so nice to actually hear him say it.

"And then I brought in Andy Rourke and.....um....."..........no mention of Mike!

"And then I brought in Andy Rourke and.....um....."..........no mention of Mike!

"and then that utter bastard...". I'd love to hear him say it, just once!

This is a good interview. Take note, you hacks.

My eyes usually glaze over a bit when people start talking guitars, but Johnny is very down-to-earth about it and doesn't dwell on minutiae.

He wrote William, Please Please and How Soon all in 3 days? Bloody hell... Spend a weekend and write some ditties for Moz, will you?!

My eyes usually glaze over a bit when people start talking guitars, but Johnny is very down-to-earth about it and doesn't dwell on minutiae.

He wrote William, Please Please and How Soon all in 3 days? Bloody hell... Spend a weekend and write some ditties for Moz, will you?!

3 days nearly THIRTY years ago.

Can you name 3 songs he's written in the last 20 years that come within a country mile of those?

Imagine if he spent a weekend writing for Morrissey and came up with..."Bangin' On"? :eek:

Maybe, just maybe, Johnny is not the answer.
{but what was the question?}

3 days nearly THIRTY years ago.

Can you name 3 songs he's written in the last 20 years that come within a country mile of those?

Imagine if he spent a weekend writing for Morrissey and came up with..."Bangin' On"? :eek:

Maybe, just maybe, Johnny is not the answer.
{but what was the question?}

I don't think he'd give Morrissey that dreck, he'd know it would be throw in the bin instantly. Then again....between "Bangin' On" and "The Kid's A Looker", I don't know which is worse. Perhaps Bangin' On, marginally... mainly due to the fact that he couldn't be bothered to give the track a real name, or think about the lyrics, or try to sing with any vigour.

Talk about winning
You ain't got no defense
Hear what you're saying
You ain't got a chance
That's the way it is
That's the way it is
What's so good about that?

Just...what the hell does that mean?!

I thought this a great interview, the interviewer obviously isn't a fan, but a guitar geek who was out of his depth while asking about johnnys career, but loved talking guitars, which was fair enough thank fully he kept schtum most of the time and let johnny gas.

Not the best interviewer in the world....moved things on really too fast...at least we got to see Marr play some "William" though :p

Back
Top Bottom