Johnny Marr Full Q&A at The Oxford Union (Feb. 25, 2019) - OxfordUnion / YouTube

From his appearance on 25th February 2019.

"As the lead guitarist and co-songwriter of the Smiths, Johnny Marr has been one of the most influential English musicians of a generation. Since the separation of the Smiths, Johnny Marr has been a member of the Pretenders and has more recently released his third studio album Call the Comet."

Regards,
FWD.

Not so. I've read interviews with him stretching way back where he says the indie sound they pioneered originated from him not wanting to follow the macho rock guitar cliches. He was always interested in doing things differently. It meant he had to fuse other influences, like folk and funk, to create their sound. And it's pretty well documented that Morrissey and Marr bonded over their love of 60s girl groups at their first meeting. Morrissey certainly brought the gender bending stuff into it, but it fitteid with what Marr had in mind musically.
I dunno. There's a lot of eye rubbing going on which is a sign someone is embellishing the truth, to put it kindly.

He was at his most passionate talking about the smiths : writing and recording especially . Nice story about headmaster ritual that fits into the old putting verses where the middle 8 was etc etc . I think he misses what him and mozza had but he knows it would never be the same if they did work together again .

Dorrissey.... there was a computer game for the Spectrum/ Commodore called Rock Star Ate My Hamster where you tried to propel your band of fantasy musicians from unsigned band to platinum status. Codemasters c1989/1990. Morrissey was known as Dorrissey.
If your band consisted of Dorrissey, Johnny Rotbags, Susie Sue and Bobert Smith they always split up after they released their first single.
If you had Carly Mynode, Michael George, Bongo and Bubbles you were assured of completing the game.
Life imitating art, art imitating life. I am honestly not making this up, though the names may have been changed. To protect the innocent

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Star_Ate_My_Hamster?wprov=sfla1

Johnny needs Andy to write with. Always has. I saw Johnny doing Last Night I Dreamt again and it's sad. That song belongs to Mozz. He owns it. Other Smiths stuff is suited for J. Not that one. Johnny should bring dear sweet Andy back to the group and say sorry. Douche.

Johnny needs Andy to write with. Always has. I saw Johnny doing Last Night I Dreamt again and it's sad. That song belongs to Mozz. He owns it. Other Smiths stuff is suited for J. Not that one. Johnny should bring dear sweet Andy back to the group and say sorry. Douche.

Andy's doing his own thing, maybe he's not interested. Johnny's bass player Iwan is ace! Last Night sounded fabulous.

another cometry musical catastrophe:mad:

in this case 2 lmwrs are not better than one.:lbf:

88E1A0A9-C2DE-4518-8628-444987CBEF46.jpeg

Yes, the other Smiths were not gay and kudos to them for being allies and pioneers in supporting Moz's gender agenda in the Smiths.

Wasn’t there some rumour that Morrissey and Mike Joyce were secret lovers? I believe I read that here, on this site.

I was told this, or rather led down a path of yes/no questions, face-to-face at dinner by someone who knew. Someone who would not lie about such things.

Anyone marking this down, by the way, wasn't at that dinner table with the other party. I was. So you can ignore it all you want. That's what I was told. And it's not just me. Look back in the archives for other examples.

Anyone marking this down, by the way, wasn't at that dinner table with the other party. I was. So you can ignore it all you want. That's what I was told. And it's not just me. Look back in the archives for other examples.

Did this person think this situation contributed to the break up of the band?

Dorrissey.... there was a computer game for the Spectrum/ Commodore called Rock Star Ate My Hamster where you tried to propel your band of fantasy musicians from unsigned band to platinum status. Codemasters c1989/1990. Morrissey was known as Dorrissey.
If your band consisted of Dorrissey, Johnny Rotbags, Susie Sue and Bobert Smith they always split up after they released their first single.
If you had Carly Mynode, Michael George, Bongo and Bubbles you were assured of completing the game.
Life imitating art, art imitating life. I am honestly not making this up, though the names may have been changed. To protect the innocent

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Star_Ate_My_Hamster?wprov=sfla1

can't believe I never heard of this - would have been right up my alley in my C64 game-playing days!
may have to download a rom for an emulator and check it out!

loved what Johnny used to represent. In his 20s he was untouchable. Ultimate cool.
Now he looks ridiculous and has nothing interesting to say.
And of course he’s not going to spill the beans about Morrissey and Joyce ever.
And *coughing* when he is obviously referencing Morrissey making “controversial comments”?? FFS man, you had zero issues with that back in the day did you.
Johnny Marr = politically correct pop uncle who can no longer write any tunes
Very sad
I’m sure he’s he a lovely person, though.

:rolleyes:

tell FH Mike not to flatter himself, his head is too flat to even slide a D in there.:lbf:

loved what Johnny used to represent. In his 20s he was untouchable. Ultimate cool.
And *coughing* when he is obviously referencing Morrissey making “controversial comments”?? FFS man, you had zero issues with that back in the day did you.
Very sad

Johnny did spill the beans. Read the archive here.

And you may have a point about Morrissey making 'controversial comments' if you can point to him praising people like Yaxley-Lennon, Anne-Marie Waters, complaining about politicians who happen to be brown back in the day. Feel free to link to them.

Very sad

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: PC Pop Aunt.:lbf:

with the botox and wig.:eek:

And you may have a point about Morrissey making 'controversial comments' if you can point to him praising people like Yaxley-Lennon, Anne-Marie Waters, complaining about politicians who happen to be brown back in the day. Feel free to link to them.

:crazy:
poor twat.
you can make controversial statements that dont have anything to do with your beloved
:turban: peeps :laughing:

why is Morrissey supporting Tommy Robinson controversial? TR is for Britain and is far from racist. What he is is anti-Islam. Islam being an ideology. He is not anti Muslim/anti “brown” as you so eloquently put it. As a gay man I am not Islamophobic - I’m f***ing islamaterrified. And I want Britain out of the £1 billion a day facist dictatorship that is Europe. Skinny, we are all bored with your uber PC, self righteous and hate fuelled bile. It’s no longer 1985. Crawl away little man.

Johnny Marr discuss The Smiths during Q&A at Uni of Oxford

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom