Johnny Marr has joined The Cribs...

sistasheila

tjekket
Marr-Cribs official:Smiths’ guitarist Johnny Marr says he’s now a full member of The Cribs
20 August 2008 - Since coming off the road with Modest Mouse in the US, Marr says he’s committing himself to writing the Wakefield trio’s new album.

It was known that they were recording together but both sides have now exclusively confirmed to 6 Music that it’s now a full-time thing.

Marr’s praise

The well-known guitarist admitted he’s been a serious fan of the Yorkshire brothers for some time.

Marr told 6 Music: “It’s totally inspiring as a guitar player because they’re my favourite band that I’ve heard in a long time and I’m still a fan, you know. I think it’s important to nurture that, and think like a fan, and it’s not always easy to think like a fan - you have to really genuinely like band.”

And he continued to praise his new bandmates saying his fan status compliments his involvement in their work: “When I got into The Cribs second record, I was just really excited because they were a band that I could be a fan of, and I get to be in a band that I’m a real fan of, so that’s fantastic just from a musical point of view.”

Cribs on Marr

And Gary Jarman, The Cribs’ bassist, says it's a dream come true to have Johnny Marr in the band.

They’d begun thinking about the new record but Jarman said that the dynamics immediately shifted when Marr came onboard: “It changed it all of a sudden, we were perfectly willing to sit back a little bit and finish that record and see where it went - but then all of a sudden, when we started rehearsing together it was a really creative time straight away.

“That was in January or February and all of a sudden you’re thinking about all of this new stuff but you’ve still got all these shows to do before you can get on with all that.”

"It’s totally inspiring as a guitar player because they’re my favourite band that I’ve heard in a long time."
Johnny Marr

Their collaborative album

As for what album number four is sounding like, don't expect it to sound like a simple Smiths-Cribs collaboration.

Marr said: “What we’ve done so far, people who’ve heard it say it sounds very much like The Smiths mashed with The Cribs and that’s obviously quite an exciting prospect for some people but it’s not really enough for us that.”

He said they want to take The Cribs’ sound to the next level with their next album.

“We want it to be the next version of The Cribs,” explained Marr. “One of the things I liked about the band before I even met them was that they sounded like achievers really, almost like over-achievers. I just heard one track and hoped that everything else was as good as that.”

There are high expectations of the material - considering the collaboration, but Johnny says they aren't listening to anyone else but themselves.

“We don’t really have to be told by the press or by record companies, or management or anything like that that we have to do something really great, no one has to tell us that - and it’s not competing with their past or my past either, it’s just as fans of music, we wanna do something really great that impresses us,” Marr told 6 Music.

And Jarman added: “We want it to be more than the sum of its parts. The sum of its parts is The Cribs and The Smiths, it bares both genes, but you wanna be more than the sum of its parts.”

Future plans

Speaking before their one-off gig at London’s Kings College Student Union last night (19 August), Marr revealed his excitement about playing some intimate shows together.

“I’m really looking forward to it, I can’t come soon enough and I wish we were doing more of them really. I like these little gigs. We’re doing Leeds and Reading at the weekend and then we’ve got a little break - then we’re doing a few gigs in Mexico. It’s gonna be a bit of a short stint, like 5 shows but I’m looking forward to it.”

And The Cribs man returned the sentiments, but said even though it’s great having Marr playing with them now, he’s looking forward to making a fresh start with Johnny on the next record once they’ve wrapped up the tour for their third album, Men’s Needs Women’s Needs Whatever..

Jarman explained: “We’re kinda putting this record to bed now, it’s just the right time for this to finish I think. We’re just getting started with Johnny so it’s kinda frustrating, it’s been like 20 months which is a long time and it’s taken us far away.

“We started the record off with a secret tour of really small venues and the last UK show, that’s not a festival, is gonna be the same thing, which is where we started and what we’re most comfortable with. It’s a nice book-end.”

Georgie Rogers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20080820_cribs_marr.shtml
thanks to morrissey shot for providing the news

The best thing to come out of Wakefield is the A638. I do hope, for Johnny's sake that his glittering career isn't sullied too much. Who knows, he could make them a good band.

Peter

Bloody hell, he's had more bands than I've had hot dinners. I love the man to bits but he has been a waste of talent since leaving The Smiths in my opinion!

One of the most memorable musical moments for me bonding with the cosmos was hearing him with Modest Mouse before REM. It was late afternoon. People were still filing into the Bowl. The air was perfect, the sound spectacular, the music touched me.

Why did he leave Modest Mouse? I don't understand why he mentioned the "Good riddance" thing in the other thread.

I haven't actually heard The Cribs so I don't know what to think. I'll give them a chance. I will say, though, that this story has an eerie similarity to previous stories about Johnny's other collaborations. You could've taken this story and switched the band's name and member names to Modest Mouse and nobody would've been the wiser. It's like having your Dad get engaged to a woman after eighteen other failed marriages and going on about how excited and in love he his; it's not that he's lying, it's that he genuinely believes what's coming out of his mouth.

Slightly alarming.

Why did he leave Modest Mouse? I don't understand why he mentioned the "Good riddance" thing in the other thread.
I don't believe that Johnny has left Modest Mouse. The band is taking a break from touring this last year and a half. So for Johnny to join up with The Cribs right now doesn't mean it's over with MM, imo. Even Isaac is collaborating with other musicans during the break. Modest Mouse will have a new album out sometime soon and Johnny will be right back with them.

As for the good riddance, it's a bit of British humour and perhaps a reflection of relief on Johnny's part to have some time away from the grueling demands of touring. You can only imagine that he and Isaac had some "meeting of the minds" during the tour. Look on the bright side, The Cribs can only get better having Johnny play with them!

I don't believe that Johnny has left Modest Mouse. The band is taking a break from touring this last year and a half. So for Johnny to join up with The Cribs right now doesn't mean it's over with MM, imo. Even Isaac is collaborating with other musicans during the break. Modest Mouse will have a new album out sometime soon and Johnny will be right back with them.

As for the good riddance, it's a bit of British humour and perhaps a reflection of relief on Johnny's part to have some time away from the grueling demands of touring. You can only imagine that he and Isaac had some "meeting of the minds" during the tour. Look on the bright side, The Cribs can only get better having Johnny play with them!

Yeah, I can understand that, but the way he phrased it made it sound as if that's what they would say about him. "They'd probably use stronger words" etc. Bizarre.

Yeah, I can understand that, but the way he phrased it made it sound as if that's what they would say about him. "They'd probably use stronger words" etc. Bizarre.
Well, maybe that's exactly what they said to him, "Good riddance, you pesky *#@**, don't let the door hit you on the way out!" Only time will tell...

I will say, though, that this story has an eerie similarity to previous stories about Johnny's other collaborations. You could've taken this story and switched the band's name and member names to Modest Mouse and nobody would've been the wiser. It's like having your Dad get engaged to a woman after eighteen other failed marriages and going on about how excited and in love he his; it's not that he's lying, it's that he genuinely believes what's coming out of his mouth.

Slightly alarming.
I hate to tell you, Worm, musicans ain't monogamous, musically speaking. Break your heart, they will. ;)

My first thought....

Oh dear.

I was about to post the same thing.

I can only hope then that when the Cribs album comes out, thousands and thousands will dimiss it as "well, it's not as good as the Smiths, is it?" as they do upon each Morrissey release. Although somehow I have a feeling the comparison won't be made.

Also, I think every time Johnny starts working with someone new we ought to analyse why his previous working relationships folded and speculate whether it's because he is a nasty person to work with or whether it's because he's a mean bastard who took all the money for himself. :D

Also, I think every time Johnny starts working with someone new we ought to analyse why his previous working relationships folded and speculate whether it's because he is a nasty person to work with or whether it's because he's a mean bastard who took all the money for himself. :D

Well, while I like the spirit of this post and laughed at its humor, Danny, it doesn't exactly ring totally true when just this morning a post about The Smiths brought out Jones to chime in with tales of Johnny's alleged drug-and-drink induced creative coma in 1987. I think Johnny takes his lumps, don't you? :rolleyes:

Sorry Worm, but I have no idea what "taking his lumps" means. :)

My joke wasn't at Marr's expense, more at the sort of scrutiny our Moz is often held up to.

Rumor has it Johnny is also writing for Britney's comeback LP.

Back
Top Bottom