Johnny Marr honoured in Kildare (Nov. 2, 2018)

Johnny Marr was honoured in his parents home town of Athy, County Kildare, Ireland today (Nov. 2, 2018).
I just saw it on the Irish RTE news and am gutted that I didn't know in advance.

WATCH: Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr says he never forgot his Athy roots as he is honoured in the Kildare town - Leinster Leader
HE DEDICATES PLAQUE TO RELATIVES

Niall Gilmartin also sends photos and writes:

Johhny Marr was honoured yesterday in Athy, Co. Kildare, Ireland, birth place of his parents. The plaque is part of a series of events called 'Made in Athy' which honours 24 artists and musicians with family roots in the town. Many of Johnny's family were present including aunts and cousins. Johnny played Dublin's National Stadium later that night.

44740_20181102_130241.jpg

Click to enlarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Fek I reckon this town is really far from John Maher's hometown Portland, Oregon. Fek if he could afford the flight mate inn nnnn nnnn n nn n it.

Johnny Marr was honoured in his parents home town of Athy, County Kildare, Ireland today.
I just saw it on the Irish RTE news and am gutted that I didn't know in advance.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/video...s-as-he-is-honoured-in-the-kildare-town.html#

A nice article, and another great insight into Johnny the man. Proud of his roots and fond of his family. How great it is that he is there to embrace his past, but also to encourage musicians that have great respect for him and his talent as a guitarist. Inspiration. He has referenced his in past interviews, and now he is there to inspire the next generation, however, it would be quite something for anyone to accomplish what he has.

I dare say they did not have that many albums to start with. Even with comps they don't have 17 altogether. Oh well another mistake set to live forever.

Also, I'd have never guessed Athy was pronounced "a-THIGH".

It’s not, you just heard it that way, you pervert.

;)

Anyways, with all the brushing and flossing Johnny does, I don’t think he deserves the plaque.

:p:rolleyes::cool:

I dare say they did not have that many albums to start with. Even with comps they don't have 17 altogether. Oh well another mistake set to live forever.

Probably not a mistake but certainly contrived.

There were 17 UK (and Ireland?) singles originally. 'Hand In Glove' did not make the Top 40. However, the reissues of 'This Charming Man', 'How Soon Is Now' and the single release of 'There Is A Light...' at the time of the 'Best..' albums did make the Top 40. That makes 19 . 'This Charming Man' was a straight reissue of the original, so discount that = 18.

I'm struggling to get to 17 albums.

All 8 of the original Rough Trade released albums plus 'Best 1', 'Best 2', 'Singles', 'The Very Best Of...', 'The Sound Of...', 'Complete', the deluxe reissue of 'The Queen Is Dead'. That makes 15. Have I missed any?

Personally, I don't see why it would be necessary to "spin" the facts in this way. It kind of demeans the plaque. what's wrong with just stating that in the group's five year lifetime they put out 17 singles and 4 original albums. Surely, that's impressive enough.

Thanks for posting, that was very sweet. I like how Johnny is absolutely sincere and how proud and pleased the people look. Also, I'd have never guessed Athy was pronounced "a-THIGH".

You're welcome. He was genuinely thrilled about being honoured and he stayed for pics, signing records, books. An absolute gent. And then he went back to Dublin and blew the roof off National Stadium.

A nice article, and another great insight into Johnny the man. Proud of his roots and fond of his family. How great it is that he is there to embrace his past, but also to encourage musicians that have great respect for him and his talent as a guitarist. Inspiration. He has referenced his in past interviews, and now he is there to inspire the next generation, however, it would be quite something for anyone to accomplish what he has.

needs to rethink the hair. all of it.

You're welcome. He was genuinely thrilled about being honoured and he stayed for pics, signing records, books. An absolute gent. And then he went back to Dublin and blew the roof off National Stadium.

I was just watching this video from Ulster Hall. Looked like an incredible show!

I'm struggling to get to 17 albums.

It looks as though they have just taken the info from the Official UK Charts company. A quick look at their list, shows there are 17 Smiths albums that have charted inside the UK top 40, but this includes re-issues, so Strangeways, Hatful of Hollow, The Queen is Dead and Meat is Murder each broke the top 40 for a second time in 1995 when Warners first re-issued them. So yeah, it's technically correct, but slightly misleading and badly written.

Here's the full list:
https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/21136/smiths/

Erm.. Aren't "John Joseph" his father's given names (his own being John Martin)?

No wonder he dedicated the plaque to his relatives! Well he didn't make a fuss, he might be secretly pleased for his dad - I think one of his tattoos is about his dad.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom