Johnny Marr / Instagram: "Back in the same spot 38 years later. Camden Electric Ballroom. 21st May 1983."

Not a usual post from Marr:

johnnymarrgram_20210923_p_2669312727216302805_2_2669312718760690924.jpg
johnnymarrgram_20210923_p_2669312727216302805_1_2669312718744042773.jpg

FWD.

But Morrissey has been far more experimental (within their range) than Marr has been over the years. There are far more ventures into new sounds in Morrissey's last three albums than Marr's last three, in my opinion anyway. Once I Saw The River Clean sounds far more expansive than Hi, Hello.
The worlds have already been mixed as far as I can see and he didn't need Marr's help at all. Marr doesn't need Morrissey either. They've both served their purpose for each other. Let's move on cause I have a feeling they have.

You must not have heard Johnny’s soundtrack work or “Walk into the Sea” or “The Priest”, his songs with Modest Mouse and The The or his playing with Bert Jansch, John Frusciante, and so on.

As far as his soundtrack stuff goes that's all Zimmer frame and Marr's contribution can barely be discerned beneath that warble. Modest Meh... The other stuff was great but a long time ago. What has he done for you lately that excites you?

Taking a 5 minute break from an INSANE day to say that Johnny Marr should NOT sing and that Morrissey and Marr should DEFINITELY get back together for a limited run. People need this. We do.

🍅

A SHANDA!!!
WTF is wrong with :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:??? he goes to the sides of the stage to do his eric clapton :monkey: act but there IS NOBODY THERE! the dumb mini venue is basically empty AGAIN>
but there he goes wearing the dumb Shiva shirt and the hair helmetu prancing around playing the out of tune guitar to the invisible fans......and he plays the wrong out of tune chords again!!
whats wrong with the twat?:pandaface:

Moz has peeps now who can play guitar and make good songs with....Moz is not going to make sucky Solar Power Spirit Control/Comet/Aminolesphobia sucky songs FFS and end up playing to nobody like like the snake JOHNNY FOKO MARR:snake:

KATASTROFA!! there is nobody there at the small tiny venue :hammer:

As far as his soundtrack stuff goes that's all Zimmer frame and Marr's contribution can barely be discerned beneath that warble. Modest Meh... The other stuff was great but a long time ago. What has he done for you lately that excites you?
Yeah, some of his soundtrack collaboration was only guitar work, but he and Zimmer worked together as songwriters in Freeheld soundtrack and he got co-credit for songwriting in Spiderman soundtrack as well. The Priest was his solo instrumental soundtrack project with an actress. I remember he said the collaboration with The The was his exploration of more atmospheric guitar work and I think it eventually benefited him in building the sound of later soundtrack works.

But anyway it feels the nonsense to discuss the contribution of Marr in his collaboration works. There have been many different songwriters, instrumentalists, and producers involved in Morrissey's solo albums so far, and it lead to a variety in soundscapes. Why don't you count Morrissey's individual contribution there? At least Marr does 95% of the works in his solo stuff.

I don't know the real reason why Moz was giving the cold shoulder - but I sometimes think it wouldn't take Johnny too long to work out a few 'clues', if he thought about it.

The sly, wink-nudge snarking he does (Nigel Farage on guitar, the 'I Told You I Was Right' tour fgs), over-praising other collaborators absurdly at Moz' expense, thanking Moz last when he wins awards, his son's stupid Instagram comments... it's not exactly stinging criticism but it's the kind of stuff that Morrissey notices and is wounded by (as shown in Autobio).

I think it would go a hell of a long way to healing things if JM apologised for some of the daft 'digs' he's made, stopped exalting his session work as though it was his true mission in life and visibly, LOUDLY shut down fans and critics who slam Morrissey for 'ruining' his legacy. I think M just wants to see that Johnny genuinely cares and has his back, and the 'estrangement' would be over - who knows, it worked for Alain!
Excellent analysis, very insightful. Johnny makes it clear in his autobio that he already tried to personally pitch Morrissey on a band reunion in 2008 and the proposal was subsequently dismissed. Johnny strikes me as a careerist who is always looking out for his own best interests, while larping as the "friendly nice guy."

Excellent analysis, very insightful. Johnny makes it clear in his autobio that he already tried to personally pitch Morrissey on a band reunion in 2008 and the proposal was subsequently dismissed. Johnny strikes me as a careerist who is always looking out for his own best interests, while larping as the "friendly nice guy."
Can you think of anyone else who always looks out for their best interests? A singer perhaps?

Conversely, can you think of anyone who isn't looking out for their own best interests?

Last edited:
The latest single sounds fine. But he should just join New Order, they seem equally obsessed/enamoured with each other.

Ian Broudie would be a good choice as producer, for Morrissey.

He has produced some good albums. Morrissey hasn’t recorded in Britain for a while now (I think?) if so, tax purposes I’m guessing.

The latest single sounds fine. But he should just join New Order, they seem equally obsessed/enamoured with each other.

I posted in another thread that it would be cool if Marr did an album reimagining The Smiths songs with new and interesting arrangements. And have guest vocalists, preferably
singers that have been around for a while 70’s - 80’s. Was dreaming .....

Patti Smith - Hand That Rocks The Cradle

Iggy Pop - Hand In Glove

Nick Cave - I know It’s Over, Never
Had No One Ever or Death of A Disco Dancer

Marianne Faithfull - Cemetry Gates

Tom Waits - Frankly Mr Shankly

Robert Smith - Ask, London, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, Is It Really So Strange

Can’t think of others right now, maybe the rest of the album could be instrumental.

I posted in another thread that it would be cool if Marr did an album reimagining The Smiths songs with new and interesting arrangements. And have guest vocalists, preferably

Iggy Pop - Hand In Glove

Robert Smith - Ask and Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Can’t think of others right now, maybe the rest of the album could be instrumental.
When I once played records for paying customers, on vinyl, I followed Ask with Friday I’m in Love. There’s something similar about those songs—in terms of the artists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iggy Pop - Hand In Glove

Robert Smith - Ask, London, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me, Is It Really So Strange

Robert Smith?
I think he hated The Smiths music

Iggy Pop - Hand In Glove

Death of a Disco Dancer is Nick Cave material for sure.

So that’s that. Morrissey’s best possible, but ignored, producer was great last night folks. He’d be ace, I think.

i used to like the lightning seeds,used to play their best of in my shop when you could play your own cds.
regards any smiths getting back together,not for me,it happened,it died,and that was it,would you dig an old relative out of the grave,no,,neither would i.

i used to like the lightning seeds,used to play their best of in my shop when you could play your own cds.
regards any smiths getting back together,not for me,it happened,it died,and that was it,would you dig an old relative out of the grave,no,,neither would i.
There is one I’d dig up.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom