Johnny Marr interview by Simon Hattenstone in The Guardian; extract from memoir

It's a big, wide-ranging interview and the book extract is revealing. Tons of stuff to interest folk here. Should have it up within an hour or two, when I get back.

**EDIT** Here we go. Don't say I never give you anything. I find the last page the most revealing and interesting.

**FURTHER EDIT** - weblink here...

Johnny Marr: ‘The conversation about re-forming the Smiths came out of the blue' - The Guardian
By Simon Hattenstone
It’s 29 years since the Smiths split up, and founding member Johnny Marr isn’t angry any more. So what happened when he and Morrissey met for a drink?

Media coverage:

39295_guardian_marr_20161029_1.jpg

aCTZAwI.jpg

QFcZogG.jpg

9Z0Bppi.jpg

fQ6LunM.jpg

SSMCbAb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Marr continues to be, probably along with Bruce Springsteen, rock's most sympathetic bloke. Love him. The bit about the Moz meeting of '08 almost brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks Uncleskinny for taking the time to, once again, bring something to this site of worth.

What stands out to me after I read this, is that Marr sounds like a grown-up, mature adult. Someone that can be candid about mistakes and successes about the past, and accept them for what they are. The bottom line for me, is that I am grateful that he 'knocked on Morrissey's door' and started a partnership that helped create music that changed my life.

Once in a while, it would be good for us to put aside all the disgust we have with certain things people do, or say, and just be thankful for what they have provided us.

I think Marr's book will be a good read.

We knew that they met in a pub but the following reunion rumours were never confirmed. I just think it's absolutely silly that this topic is trending again because of Johnny. He has written a book which is 480 pages long and had to choose an excerpt. Fine, probably the paper suggested it to be about the Smiths and Johnny decided to go for it but he still could have chosen another part of his book which wouldn't bring on this boring conversation again. There are honestly people online who are blaming the Guardian for going for that specific headline. Johnny knew exactly what the headlines would be.

usually it's never up to the interviewee what excerpt the paper will use. Also, even though I never really cared for a reunion, it's never a boring topic for me and i'm sure not for many others.
I think people tend to put way too much weight on abstract ideas, such as "nostalgia", "trying to recapture youth" etc etc. Music is ageless, and if it's really only about the music, why is it so bad if old bandmates want to play again together? Thank God it's not as if you'd want to sleep with your ex. Nothing should stop you if you want to do it. Sod the critics and naysayers, just pick up the instruments and have a go. I am talking generally about reunions, not specifically for Marr+Morrissey.

There are honestly people online who are blaming the Guardian for going for that specific headline. Johnny knew exactly what the headlines would be.

Highly unlikely. When a book is published and a newspaper or magazine picks up the serialisation and/or extract rights, the author generally has no control or even input over which extracts and headlines are used.

I suppose it was easier for Marr to write his autobiography than for Moz because, in the mind of people, he hasn't a particular voice. It's just important what he writes and not how he writes it. Nobody mentioned his style of writing in this excerpt. It's secondary.

Crikey, I reckon they didn't show any pics of John's house in Portland, Oregon. It's top mental!! I think he even has a basketball court in the backyard!

I hate when people say that their spouse/lover/partner completes them. We are complete. The significant other is just a bonus. What if you don't find a partner and remain single? Should you feel incomplete for the rest of your life?
I can see why Morrissey never contacted Marr after that pub meeting. Morrissey was drinking that night and in a drunken stupor you can make the most grandiose plans. That's how I feel when I drink anyway. It's only when you wake up the next morning/afternoon that you realize life isn't as rosy as through the wine glass.

Last one is the best

What a direct, insightful, remarkably forthright read. What strikes me most is that Johnny seems to have offered the olive branch quite a few times over the years, and for whatever reason Morrissey has never accepted it. What a shame for their friendship to 'run its course' in such a way, without so much as an email or phone call for years at a time. And yet Morrissey still plays the victim in his own book. Sad.

What strikes me most is that Johnny seems to have offered the olive branch quite a few times over the years, and for whatever reason Morrissey has never accepted it.

"Then our conversation turned to deeper things. Morrissey started to talk about how our relationship had become owned by the outside world, usually in a negative way. We had been defined by each other in most areas of our professional life. I appreciated him mentioning it, because it was true."

Maybe Moz just realized that getting back with Marr professionally and personally would make the above situation even worse or he wouldn't risk another split after a certain time back together. There are many posibilities.

To be honest, Morrissey suddenly going into 'radio silence mode' and stopping communication shows he's not that different from the guy in the Smiths, who would suddenly disappear/not turn up to recording sessions; TV appearances; video promo sessions; tours, etc. I don't think he has changed THAT much over the years.

I'm sure we'd all love the idea of a successful reunion - including Johnny - but had it occurred he'd probably go back to tearing his hair out when Morrissey kept vanishing halfway through without telling anyone.

I'm not necessarily having a pop at Morrissey - I genuinely think he has some kind of (mild) mental health issues, which makes him very, very bad at communicating with people, and dealing with issues as most rational people would. If you are working with Morrissey as a solo artist, then you are essentially hired help, and it's entirely appropriate you go wherever the whims of your employer takes him. As someone who is trying to be in a creative partnership I can see how that must eventually drive you up the wall.

I thought this was a fantastic read. The way I see it, they have a complicated relationship, but the two of them still absolutely have an affection and respect for one another.

What have you got against people who are happy together, and say that they complete each other? Why do you 'hate' that? Tomorrow is my 24th anniversary. My wife and I are lock and key. Every day I'm thankful. I totally get Johnny's position here, because I agree, and have the same experience.

Happy anniversary and good health to you and Auntieskinny :sweet:
Cheers ! :clap:
Benny:handfist:

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife::jackolantern:

What have you got against people who are happy together, and say that they complete each other? Why do you 'hate' that? Tomorrow is my 24th anniversary. My wife and I are lock and key. Every day I'm thankful. I totally get Johnny's position here, because I agree, and have the same experience.

And today is my 15th, and have just arrived home from a very nice meal together, without the kids, although we have returned home at a reasonable hour!

Thanks for posting the interview, I found it really interesting - looking forward to the book and reading about Electronic as Bernard lives just up the road from me.

To be honest, Morrissey suddenly going into 'radio silence mode' and stopping communication shows he's not that different from the guy in the Smiths, who would suddenly disappear/not turn up to recording sessions; TV appearances; video promo sessions; tours, etc. I don't think he has changed THAT much over the years.

I'm sure we'd all love the idea of a successful reunion - including Johnny - but had it occurred he'd probably go back to tearing his hair out when Morrissey kept vanishing halfway through without telling anyone.

I'm not necessarily having a pop at Morrissey - I genuinely think he has some kind of (mild) mental health issues, which makes him very, very bad at communicating with people, and dealing with issues as most rational people would. If you are working with Morrissey as a solo artist, then you are essentially hired help, and it's entirely appropriate you go wherever the whims of your employer takes him. As someone who is trying to be in a creative partnership I can see how that must eventually drive you up the wall.

The " issue " is called autism.

Marr released an album recently. He said in interviews that he was comfortable that these songs sounded like The Smiths etc etc. That because those tracks were written as a Smiths album. Maybe Morrissey heard them and rejected them maybe he didn't, but in honesty the tracks weren't great. The Smiths are best left a memory. Marr has not grown/developed/matured like Morrissey has.

Great spot! "Morrissey and Marr met in a pub 'up north' last Wednesday, and my contact says they embraced like long lost mates!"

How mind-blowing would it be, if you were in the pub having a pint, turned around and saw Morrissey and Marr hanging out together drinking? I'm slightly surprised that no-one took a sneaky photo. As much as I'd want to stay away and not disturb them, I don't think I could resist taking a quick covert snap!

Marr released an album recently. He said in interviews that he was comfortable that these songs sounded like The Smiths etc etc. That because those tracks were written as a Smiths album. Maybe Morrissey heard them and rejected them maybe he didn't, but in honesty the tracks weren't great. The Smiths are best left a memory. Marr has not grown/developed/matured like Morrissey has.

Not sure I agree with this. Morrisseys last last album was ok and both of Marrs last two albums are ok but listen to the musical craftsmanship on Marrs and it's streets ahead of anything on Morrisseys last offering.

Here's a thought, if Morrissey had launched himself as a solo artist back in the day, I reckon he would have failed, whereas Marr just needed someone to put words to his music, and In my opinion he would have been a success.

And today is my 15th, and have just arrived home from a very nice meal together, without the kids, although we have returned home at a reasonable hour!

Thanks for posting the interview, I found it really interesting - looking forward to the book and reading about Electronic as Bernard lives just up the road from me.

Happy 15 th anniversary Surface this is for you and Mrs Surface

Hope you like it

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom