Johnny Marr interview by Simon Hattenstone in The Guardian; extract from memoir

It's a big, wide-ranging interview and the book extract is revealing. Tons of stuff to interest folk here. Should have it up within an hour or two, when I get back.

**EDIT** Here we go. Don't say I never give you anything. I find the last page the most revealing and interesting.

**FURTHER EDIT** - weblink here...

Johnny Marr: ‘The conversation about re-forming the Smiths came out of the blue' - The Guardian
By Simon Hattenstone
It’s 29 years since the Smiths split up, and founding member Johnny Marr isn’t angry any more. So what happened when he and Morrissey met for a drink?

Media coverage:

39295_guardian_marr_20161029_1.jpg

aCTZAwI.jpg

QFcZogG.jpg

9Z0Bppi.jpg

fQ6LunM.jpg

SSMCbAb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I agree with this. Morrisseys last last album was ok and both of Marrs last two albums are ok but listen to the musical craftsmanship on Marrs and it's streets ahead of anything on Morrisseys last offering.

Here's a thought, if Morrissey had launched himself as a solo artist back in the day, I reckon he would have failed, whereas Marr just needed someone to put words to his music, and In my opinion he would have been a success.

I think they both would have had some success in some form or another. Morrissey didn't just put words to music. Being a lyricist isn't the same as being the singer and the lyricist. morrissey sings and comes up with vocal parts like no other as has been mentioned by many other professional vocalists which was a big part of the appeal of the smiths and his later music. I don't know if morrissey would have found that initial confidence without Marr though as I think Marr had enough early drive and confidence for himself morrissey and a couple of others

benny the butcher completes me.

Marr released an album recently. He said in interviews that he was comfortable that these songs sounded like The Smiths etc etc. That because those tracks were written as a Smiths album. Maybe Morrissey heard them and rejected them maybe he didn't, but in honesty the tracks weren't great.

As this tentative idea for a reunion seemingly only lasted a few days, it seems doubtful that Johnny went off and wrote an album worth of material in that brief time frame, then sat on it for 5 years waiting to hear back from Moz. I do think however, that this last brush off by Morrissey probably cemented the idea in his mind that a reunion was never going to happen, so he might as well go out there do his own thing.

I still think that in an ideal world, Morrissey & Marr would be able to get together every few years to do a Smiths album or live tour, then go their own ways and do their own solo projects in between. Everyone's a winner. Especially as Morrissey seems to be in a career cul-de-sac at the moment, with no record label interest, just dragging the same old setlist around the world year after year. It's not like taking a year out to work with Johnny would deprive anyone of much.

I've heard the story of the near reunion in 2008 and related it on here before... I heard the deal breaker was Marr going on tour with the Cribs. Morrissey didn't want to have to wait.

Last edited:
I've heard the story of the near reunion in 2008 and related it on here before... I heard the deal breaker was Marr going on tour with the Cribs. Morrissey wanted didn't want to have to wait.

Interesting. Kinda funny it that its the same old story in a way since the smiths first broke up

I've heard the story of the near reunion in 2008 and related it on here before... I heard the deal breaker was Marr going on tour with the Cribs. Morrissey wanted didn't want to have to wait.

yeah, this is what i've heard too!!!!!

also, i don't get this question. It's weird.

Marr says his relationship with Morrissey was as close as is possible without being lovers. Was he in love with Morrissey? “No, because I was in love with Angie [his then girlfriend, now wife], but we definitely loved each other. I think we all did.” :confused:

Marr says his relationship with Morrissey was as close as is possible without being lovers. Was he in love with Morrissey? “No, because I was in love with Angie [his then girlfriend, now wife], but we definitely loved each other. I think we all did.” :confused:

Marr said that before "... as close as it can get without being physical".

I hate when people say that their spouse/lover/partner completes them. We are complete. The significant other is just a bonus. What if you don't find a partner and remain single? Should you feel incomplete for the rest of your life?
I can see why Morrissey never contacted Marr after that pub meeting. Morrissey was drinking that night and in a drunken stupor you can make the most grandiose plans. That's how I feel when I drink anyway. It's only when you wake up the next morning/afternoon that you realize life isn't as rosy as through the wine glass.
Never be afraid to stand up for what you believe. I think Johnny Marr f***ing sucks!

Well, I think we all know what that means...

I scanned them before the article appeared on the website, as it's not clear if the print article would appear online.
Thanks Skinny. I appreciate the effort and like you said it was worth scanning in case it didn't appear online. Nice to see the original article.

No - this is the first time anyone has spoken about the pair of them meeting, let alone discussing a potential reunion that Morrissey was briefly up for in 2008.

Interestingly, Marr describes how: Suddenly we were talking about the possibility of the band re-forming, and in that moment it seemed that with the right intention it could actually be done and might even be great. I would still work with the Cribs on our album, and Morrissey also had an album due out.

So, 2008 - that album was 'Years of Refusal', and finally the album title makes sense (Morrissey studiously avoided answering questions on what the album title meant at the time). It would have been a great ironic title for Morrissey to have put out an album called 'Years of Refusal', then follow it up a year or two later with the Smiths reunion he'd been refusing for so long everyone had given up hope.

Instead, we got a huge gap, then 'World Peace is None of Your Business'. Of course, there's no way of knowing how a reunion would have turned out in reality, but I can't help thinking we got the shitty end of the deal there.
After reading Marr's excerpt I no longer completely rule out the slight possibility of a Smiths reunion of Moz Marr and Rourke plus new drummer. Before now I would have dismissed it. But not anymore. Amazing that Moz didn't contact Marr after the pub meeting. I suspect Moz listens to bad advice from his camp camp to the detriment of everything and everyone.

"Then our conversation turned to deeper things. Morrissey started to talk about how our relationship had become owned by the outside world, usually in a negative way. We had been defined by each other in most areas of our professional life. I appreciated him mentioning it, because it was true."

Maybe Moz just realized that getting back with Marr professionally and personally would make the above situation even worse or he wouldn't risk another split after a certain time back together. There are many posibilities.
Or maybe Moz needs to relax and actually try the reunion instead of playing it safe. They could do a few concerts, see how they feel, and get together in the studio later if it feels right. Just like Suede did before releasing two fantastic post reunion albums.

After reading Marr's excerpt I no longer completely rule out the slight possibility of a Smiths reunion of Moz Marr and Rourke plus new drummer. Before now I would have dismissed it. But not anymore. Amazing that Moz didn't contact Marr after the pub meeting. I suspect Moz listens to bad advice from his camp camp to the detriment of everything and everyone.

Good God, 8 years have passed since then. Many bad things have happened. Besides, maybe Marr took all this reunion talk in the pub too serious. How do we know? Maybe Moz lived with the thought for a few days before saying "What the hell was I thinking?" Maybe 2008 wasn't a good year for him. Jerry Finn died, Alain Whyte contributed his last songs, Mikey Farrell was gone ("Mikey complicated my thoughts for a long way to come"), first health problems occured. We will never know.

I always felt Johnny hitched his wagon to Morrissey's. What happened to the big vision Johnny? The poetry? Without Morrissey's lyrics and melodies you would have ended up playing middling sings with no passion and sprinkling your set with some great covers. Oh that's what you are doing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom