Johnny Marr interview in Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant; mentions Smiths split

‘Bij alles wat ik deed stonden fans en journalisten te luisteren of het wel genoeg op The Smiths leek’ - De Volkskrant

Some interesting comments by Marr on The Smiths split. Please note: these are (amateurish) translations from a (journalists) translation in Dutch.

"The best decision I ever made was running away from The Smiths. I never regretted it, it really was done. Always when somebody calls again: gee, what a shame, I think: dude, you should know. The chemistry between Morrissey and me had worked out. We weren't friends, the only thing that tied us were shared musical preferences. When we could no longer find each other in music, it was done."

"I initially laughed at Morrisseys sarcasm and was touched by his strong anti-macho texts. But after five years of references to Oscar Wilde and sixties films, I was slightly done with it. I myself read J.G. Ballard and William S. Burroughs. I loved dystopian literature. Morrissey was actually more romantic."

"Morrissey and I were different in almost anything. Always. OK, thanks to his lyrics to Meat Is Murder, I stopped eating meat, but otherwise I've never attached much value to his opinions. All I can say is that The Smiths stood up for the rightless and the oppressed, the marginalized ones in our society because of their sexual orientation, race or descent. That is what The Smiths stood for. And we called ourselves leftwing. Morrissey engaging himself with disseminators of hatred is horrible, but I have felt so far away from him for so long that I can't really worry about it. What he does, says or sings, doesn't interest me. And please note: even he can not rewrite our history. I do not recognize anything in him what we once stood for as a band. "

Last edited by a moderator:
My dude, give it up. Johnny Marr is popular, well-respected, articulate and immensely talented. You're embarrassing yourself, even more than usual.
:crazy:

Drama J WELL RESPECTED?:crazy: IMMENSELY TALENTED:mock:
with the :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:. the tats:partypooper: and the:bouquet: shirts?:rofl:

You only need to watch Moz' reaction on Colbert after the sentence "Welcome Johnny Marr" to know that Moz is far away from 'not caring'.

Had to seek it out to remind myself. Not sure I see much is his reaction though? Mildly amused?

I agree about the friendship aspect, but this kind of "We were just colleagues really" talk is a million miles from Morrissey's perspective, isn't it? I wonder if Marr was telling the truth when he said he'd never read Autobiography. It also sticks in my craw for other reasons, such as his continued fawning over Matt Johnson and others.

As for the last part - huh? The extract is sad precisely because it highlights the situation of their complete estrangement. "Nothing he says/does/sings interests me." Ouch.

Weren't friends? Okay. "I had as intimate a relationship as you could have without it actually being physical with my songwriting partner, who I loved and who I thought was a great frontman". Johnny Marr, Set the Boy Free: The Autobiography, 2016. :cry:

Weren't friends? Okay. "I had as intimate a relationship as you could have without it actually being physical with my songwriting partner, who I loved and who I thought was a great frontman". Johnny Marr, Set the Boy Free: The Autobiography, 2016. :cry:

Wonderful quote. He's said similar before, too - "we were as close as you can be without being lovers" - in the Guardian.

Wonderful quote. He's said similar before, too - "we were as close as you can be without being lovers" - in the Guardian.
Yes, it's wonderful. But now everything is poisoned, and I still can't believe it turned out this way.

I'm thinking this may be a translation error of the Dutch article. Maybe "we aren't friends"??

I will believe Marr told it if he says it publicly. Then it remains the discussion about the veracity of those sayings. Morrissey is under attack.

My recollection is that Morrissey said some nice things about Mohammed Ali shortly after he had passed away.
So Moz's opinion on Ali is harsh as the above quote suggests, if at all it is correct.

I watched an interview on youtube, yesterday, with Marr and he said he was f***in heartbroken when he was forced to leave The Smiths. The youtube video is only a matter of weeks old I think and was something to do with Radio X. Dont know how many times I have either read or watched conflicting interviews talking about the same subject. Wouldnt surprise me if none of these stories are actually the truth...

Last edited:
sorry i can’t relate to mean people. i can understand not being openly friendly but how can you go out of your way to actively be so mean….on purpose….for fun….aren’t u exhausted …
Why do you think I retired at the age of 41?

I'm thinking this may be a translation error of the Dutch article. Maybe "we aren't friends"??
Possibly, but my educated guess is "we hadn't been friends [prior to the Smiths]" (or, maybe he did use the phrase "we weren't friends", but the "prior to the Smiths" bit would have been understood in context). I don't think it's plausible that he is trying to make out that they weren't friends during their time together.

That said, I do suspect the extent of the closeness between the two is partly mythmaking by the band hand-in-hand with the music press.

Makes me sad reading this. I've become disillusioned with Morrissey now and I was a die-hard. Johnny seemed to put the Smiths' problems behind him in his autobiography but recent events with Moz have obviously tipped the balance. To read they weren't friends and so on... makes me feel as though there's no point even listening to The Smiths anymore, they were baseless, it was all a front, meaningless. Makes me feel sadly conned. They are killing their own legacy.

does it make a difference though, whether "it was all a front"?
no, i can see of course, how author's intentions and circumstances can be important to a fan. still though, being very calculated and authentic is not mutually exclusive in a piece of art.

"And please note: even he can not rewrite our history. I do not recognize anything in him what we once stood for as a band. "

Wow.....

Drama J wrote 0 lyrics so how can he claim he had anything to do with what the band stood for. Moz solely defined what the Smiths stood for. Drama J was a lawnmower with portfolio FFS:lbf:

It wasn't just Morrissey's lyrics though. It was their visual image: the necklaces, the bouffant hairdo, women's blouses. Also the gigs they played the Red Wedge show, the Jobs for Change festival in 1984, Glastonbury. Even Johnny's avoidance of macho guitar posturing - it all went into what the Smiths stood for.

And Morrissey didn't seem that keen on the Red Wedge tour, did he? For most of it, including the Manchester Apollo show I was at, it was just Johnny and Andy participating.

and yet I Imagine if Morrissey called Johnny tomorrow and said lets get The Smiths back together Ive written a song called "Britain First" Johnny would say OK great what key is it in....?

and yet I Imagine if Morrissey called Johnny tomorrow and said lets get The Smiths back together Ive written a song called "Britain First" Johnny would say OK great what key is it in....?
You're talking shit. Johnny is actually playing the shows he sets up, distancing himself from Morrissey, etc.
The only thing he'd get out of something like that is the satisfaction of saying he turned him down.

Highly doubtful! Johnny wouldn't touch Morrissey's toxicity with a bargepole at this point. Johnny's on his way to sainthood in the UK press, as the rightful heir to the Smiths' legacy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom