Johnny Marr interview in SPIN mentions why The Smiths won't reunite, Classically Smiths

Shoplifterromo sends the link:

Johnny Marr on His New Solo Album, Why the Smiths Won’t Reunite, and the Time He Almost Fell in a Volcano - SPIN
Maggie Serota // September 25, 2018

Excerpt:

I’m not going to ask you if the Smiths are ever going to reunite, because I know the answer is no. What I will ask is, do you feel like you dodged a bullet not reuniting given the political positions Morrissey has taken recently?

I don’t know whether I dodged a bullet because of that. I just feel like we never reformed because we shouldn’t have reformed. I don’t like ‘dodging the bullet,’ because there’s so many reasons why we haven’t reformed. I think that’s fair to say, and I don’t think that would come as any kind of puzzle or surprise to anybody. I don’t feel like I dodged any bullets. And also we never really got close to reforming, except for a conversation that happened quite a long time ago.

What did you think of that “Classically Smiths” event that kind of fell apart very quickly with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce?

There wasn’t really much time to think anything of it. I heard about it when everybody else heard about it, which tells you all you need to know, really. It was particularly disrespectful that I wasn’t consulted, and I kind of feel it was a farce in the way it went down, really. I thought about it how I imagine everybody else thought about it, that it was really kind of sketchy. That is disappointing to me, that the band gets chained to that kind of sketchiness. It’s a good thing those guys weren’t organizing the gigs when we were together, otherwise we would’ve never gone on the stage.

That’s the original one, looks like he’s returned after flogging a dead horse for many months.
Yes, I was just thinking that. Must be a bit of a shock to come back and find you've been out-trolled by somebody who's hijacked your on-screen name.

I've got to say, that is a slightly ridiculous assertion from a grown man. Did Morrissey rush to congratulate Johnny on his post-Smiths work?

I dunno. I recall Morrissey once being asked to comment on Marr's post-Smiths work and he stated something along the lines of (paraphrasing): "He's wasting his music with bad singers". Does anyone have the exact quote? I remember that, as I remember agreeing (after having wasted my money on various post-Smiths Johnny Marr stuff). This was probably around the time Marr was giving his music to Matt Johnson of The The, perhaps also Bernard Sumner of New Order.
I'm not as versed as all you on every intricate detail of the history, as I spend most of my time with the MUSIC, enjoying Morrissey's records. (As far as Morrissey's memoirs, I liked the first part about his childhood and then found the rest too dull to finish.)
Some things stick out in my mind beyond the music. Like when Morrissey mentioned somewhere (I have no idea where) that it hurt his feelings Johnny never said a good word about his solo music. This was probably in the early to mid-9o's. I really felt for him and it bothered me that Marr had no good will towards him at that time, and wasn't cheering him on.
And when Morrissey said Marr was wasting his music on unworthy singers. Which was another way of saying he should have stuck with Morrissey. Which I thought was Morrissey's way of saying he wished Johnny hadn't abandoned him. But it's okay, Morrissey survived, and the only reason anyone goes to a Johnny Marr show is to hear a Smiths song (badly done).

Last edited:
It's interesting when you look at this SPIN cover as the other artists, with the exception of PJ Harvey, are either dead or over. Meanwhile Morrissey recently put out another masterpiece, "Low in High School".

That's not really an attack on the other artists. The music biz is TOUGH. But Morrissey's still standing like a champ when almost everyone else is finished.

Look how long ago that was. They were going on about Dan Quayle. That's like a century ago. I vaguely remember Dan Quayle, he couldn't spell potato. LOL That's like a million years ago. Well, Morrissey had a masterpiece out then, and he's continued to put great stuff out all these years later. Very few music artists manage that.

Maybe Morrissey should have took a leaf out of REM's book. They collectively agreed to stop what they were doing at a time when they still sold out arenas and had album sales that Morrissey could only dream about. The masterpiece you talk about had pitiful sales.

Maybe Morrissey should have took a leaf out of REM's book. They collectively agreed to stop what they were doing at a time when they still sold out arenas and had album sales that Morrissey could only dream about. The masterpiece you talk about had pitiful sales.

Sales have no bearing on whether anything is a masterpiece. Many great works of art in whatever sphere you want to name have been absolute commercial (and critical) failures.

As for REM, they have openly admitted regretting the more commercial choices they made, and were pretty much creatively shot as a band by the time they ended it. As to how "collective" that decision was, well, some band members were more keen than others.

Sales have nothing to do with whether something is a masterpiece. You should know better than that. REM "sold out" to get their sales. "Shiny Happy People"? Come on, man.
What REM album ever was as good as the best albums Morrissey has put out in just the 21st century? "You Are The Quarry", 'Ringleader of the Tormenters" or "Low in High School" are better than anything REM ever did even in their peak. That's not even getting into The Smiths masterpieces that Michael Stipe himself worshipped, or the fantastic Morrissey stuff of the '90's.
You can go on about sales as if you don't know the whole game was rigged by those in charge of record companies and radio empires. See, I don't live in Los Angeles, and I only ever heard two songs by Morrissey played on a commercial radio station, ever. It's amazing he got as big as he did with no support. I heard 'We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" played exactly one time on a Sunday night wasteland show when few people listen, and I heard "The More Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" played a bunch of times on one of those "alternative rock stations". Other than that, Morrissey got zero airplay in my city. Yet when Morrissey came to town on tour, there were lots of people.
Anyway, I really don't want to discuss what a "masterpiece" is with someone who immediately starts discussing arenas and sales. I'm talking about artistic value. What are you talking about? "Low In High School" is a great album from first track to last.

Yes, I was just thinking that. Must be a bit of a shock to come back and find you've been out-trolled by somebody who's hijacked your on-screen name.
i hope this doesn't mean the end of vegan cro spirit! where else will I get my daily lols?

Sales have nothing to do with whether something is a masterpiece. You should know better than that. REM "sold out" to get their sales. "Shiny Happy People"? Come on, man.
What REM album ever was as good as the best albums Morrissey has put out in just the 21st century? "You Are The Quarry", 'Ringleader of the Tormenters" or "Low in High School" are better than anything REM ever did even in their peak. That's not even getting into The Smiths masterpieces that Michael Stipe himself worshipped, or the fantastic Morrissey stuff of the '90's.
You can go on about sales as if you don't know the whole game was rigged by those in charge of record companies and radio empires. See, I don't live in Los Angeles, and I only ever heard two songs by Morrissey played on a commercial radio station, ever. It's amazing he got as big as he did with no support. I heard 'We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" played exactly one time on a Sunday night wasteland show when few people listen, and I heard "The More Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" played a bunch of times on one of those "alternative rock stations". Other than that, Morrissey got zero airplay in my city. Yet when Morrissey came to town on tour, there were lots of people.
Anyway, I really don't want to discuss what a "masterpiece" is with someone who immediately starts discussing arenas and sales. I'm talking about artistic value. What are you talking about? "Low In High School" is a great album from first track to last.

Well everyone has their own opinion and 85 million people chose to buy an REM album over the years, unfortunately not many thought Low In High School was worth parting with their cash for.

Last edited:
Well everyone has their own opinion and and 85 million people chose to buy an REM album over the years, unfortunately not many thought Low In High School was worth parting with their cash for.

REM hasn't put out an album in many years. Morrissey will sing his life for life.
If you took all the best REM songs, you'd barely be able to fill up one single CD.
If you took all the best Smiths/Morrissey songs, you'd need a boxed set.

REM hasn't put out an album in many years. Morrissey will sing his life for life.
If you took all the best REM songs, you'd barely be able to fill up one single CD.
If you took all the best Smiths/Morrissey songs, you'd need a boxed set.

As i said, everyone has an opinion, mine is that Morrissey's recent material has been poor. You mentioned arenas and sales not being important, to Morrissey they are very important. He is quick to point out when he sells out a venue and quick to cancel when he doesn't. He is quick to point out when he has a high chart position and quick to blame everyone else when he doesn't.

Gotta love this REM fan. Um...why ain't you on an REM message board? LOL Go to an an REM board and tell them how "Shiny Happy People" was a song for the ages. REM jumped the shark when they went into the tank for MoveOn.org, a group set up to tell America to "move on" from being concerned about Clinton corruption and Bill Clinton's sex crimes. LOL Last I saw, Michael Stipe had some sort of goofy ISIS beard going on.

Last edited:
Gotta love this REM fan. Um...why ain't you on an REM message board? LOL Go to an an REM board and tell them how "Shiny Happy People" was a song for the ages. REM jumped the shark when they went into the tank for MoveOn.org, a group set up to tell America to "move on" from Clinton corruption and Bill Clinton's sex crimes. LOL Last I saw, Michael Stipe had some sort of goofy ISIS beard going on.

Bit similar to when Morrissey came out in support of Anne Marie Walters and Tommy Robinson. Difference being is that Morrisseys career tanked in the Uk whereas REM’s continued to soar.

Bit similar to when Morrissey came out in support of Anne Marie Walters and Tommy Robinson. Difference being is that Morrisseys career tanked in the Uk whereas REM’s continued to soar.

Morrissey supporting Freedom of Speech and being opposed to rape gangs targeting girls is similar to Michael Stipe supporting Bill Clinton's corruption and sex crimes? :confused:
See, Freedom of Speech is something Britain once led the world on. It was like their biggest claim to fame as a nation, so it is tragic that today they're hellbent on crushing that basic human right. Morrissey will take whatever abuse you have for him for his stance in support of human rights (or animal rights). Tommy Robinson was tossed into prison without any due process or proper representation and in violation of the law and basic universal rights, and that was done by a crooked judge who was thankfully overruled. But before the appeal was heard Tommy was tortured and starved in that jail. Which you're cool with because you're a follower of the mainstream propaganda unlike Morrissey.
Morrissey's on the side of angels, as usual.

The real question is, how come Morrissey was the only artist who gave a damn about the abuses inflicted on Tommy Robinson? The rest are a bunch of scared cowards.
Michael Stipe stuck his nose out for the most powerful man in the world when he was rightfully facing investigations for his deep corruption and sex crimes. How noble of Michael Stipe, sucking up to the most powerful criminals of the world. Morrissey doesn't do that. He sticks up for the victims of those wielding power.

Last edited:
This REM guy thinks Michael Stipe was big hero when he stood up for the most powerful man in the world when he was facing corruption investigations. What a hero to people! But Morrissey's a scumbag because he thinks working class people should have freedom of speech. LOL You're so confused, dude, you don't even know. I feel sorry for you.

I dunno. I recall Morrissey once being asked to comment on Marr's post-Smiths work and he stated something along the lines of (paraphrasing): "He's wasting his music with bad singers". Does anyone have the exact quote? I remember that, as I remember agreeing (after having wasted my money on various post-Smiths Johnny Marr stuff). This was probably around the time Marr was giving his music to Matt Johnson of The The, perhaps also Bernard Sumner of New Order.
I'm not as versed as all you on every intricate detail of the history, as I spend most of my time with the MUSIC, enjoying Morrissey's records. (As far as Morrissey's memoirs, I liked the first part about his childhood and then found the rest too dull to finish.)
Some things stick out in my mind beyond the music. Like when Morrissey mentioned somewhere (I have no idea where) that it hurt his feelings Johnny never said a good word about his solo music. This was probably in the early to mid-9o's. I really felt for him and it bothered me that Marr had no good will towards him at that time, and wasn't cheering him on.
And when Morrissey said Marr was wasting his music on unworthy singers. Which was another way of saying he should have stuck with Morrissey. Which I thought was Morrissey's way of saying he wished Johnny hadn't abandoned him. But it's okay, Morrissey survived, and the only reason anyone goes to a Johnny Marr show is to hear a Smiths song (badly done).

WtF?? Peppy wants MOZ to congratulate :frogface: on his sucky:frogface: cds??
I think that Peppy post wants a troll ranking for sure.

Congratulate :frogface: on European Me of the sucko Comet? Insane.:crazy:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom