Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps my favorite post-Smiths song he’s done. Guitar tone at times is very Strangeways like.

Yes. This is it. Stunning. On par with European Me, the peak of his solo career. If only Moz would be doing this sort of music.

Last edited:
Portland, Oregon's own and B-Baller John Maher trying to sound like The Byrds again. Can't you foreigners get your own guitar sound to steal from? No wonder why Malibu Steve will never play with him again.

The strings at 1:42 totally remind me of the ending of "Dancing Barefoot" -- exact same melody as the "oh God I fell for you" line.

Nothing wrong with that. Just an observation. I like the song.

Yes, something that speaks to the universal struggle of the spirit. Something like: "Once again I am asked to leave this club in Tel Aviv."

Fantastic riposte :)
Morrissey's lyrics have been as dull as dishwater for the last 20 years at least. And that's without wading through the paranoid farrightwingery.

Bungalow

Yes. This is it. Stunning. On par with European son, the peak of his solo career. If only Moz would be doing this sort of music.

I absolutely adored "New Town Velocity" and "The Messenger" from his debut solo album as well.
They dwarf pap like "Jackie's Gone all Far Right" and "All The Young People Who Voted Remain are Loonie Lefties".

Bungalow

He sings in too high a register for my tastes on this one a bit. I think it would have had a bit more gravity and sounded a bit less airy-fairy and lightweight had he sang it lower.

Last edited:
He's getting much better at using his voice. A very smiths like songs that also brought to mind the better parts of electronics second album. Album is shaping up pretty nicely. I'm officially looking forward now

Nice guitars, great sound but dull melody and vocals. As usual. And this is his third solo album. I believe that, at this stage, he will never surprise me anymore.

This is brilliant. Could easily been music written for the Smiths. His vocals are really good as well. Johnny himself says it’s remeinds him of Dancing Barefoot and There’s A Light That Never Goes Out.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom