Johnny Marr on his autobiography, admits he hasn't read Morrissey's - MOJO

Johnny Marr On His Memoir: “I’ve Got An Amazing Memory!” - MOJO
The former Smith updates MOJO about progress on his autobiography. Top Of The Pops, drugs and falling off roofs all figure.

Excerpt:

The former Smith speaks about his new live album Adrenalin Baby and the book, due out next summer, in our new issue, (December 15 / #265) which is on sale now in the UK.

...Of course Marr’s is not the first memoir concerning The Smiths, though it seems unlikely there will be too many similarities between the guitarist’s literary endeavours and those published by the band’s singer.

“I honestly haven’t read Morrissey’s book,” Marr admits. “I really don’t feel like I need to. I’ve heard about what it’s like and that’s fine.”

Also:

Johnny Marr vows to keep memoir fun - new! magazine

Excerpt:

Morrissey's tome received huge critical praise for its candid narrative, but some critics took aim at the singer for using the book to launch scathing attacks on his old enemies in the music industry and even his former bandmates.

Marr is a quarter of the way through penning his life story and he is making a determined effort to avoid criticising those he has worked with, insisting he will not be giving fans any "crass sensationalism".

He tells Mojo magazine, "I honestly haven't read Morrissey's book. I really don't feel like I need to. I've heard about what it's like and that's fine. Not all of what I've been though, like anyone's life, can be dressed up to be something cheery when it wasn't. That's all right too.

"I'd like to say there's a lot of reappraisal, 'cos that would imply a certain kind of wisdom, but in the case of what happened with The Smiths, there's not really that much reappraisal. But crass sensationalism isn't really my thing, nor am I particularly interested in being nasty."

Last edited:
I think the "bloodless" quality, as you describe, stems largely from the drums, which are either recorded so dry as to be tinder ("You've Got Everything Now") or compressed and boomy ("Miserable Lie," "What Difference Does It Make?"). The drums on "This Charming Man," recorded at a separate session, stand out vibrantly in comparison with closer to a "room" sound. In terms of overall sonic quality, I think "Still Ill" and "Suffer Little Children" are most successfully realized. You also can't overlook the fact that Stephen Street started engineering their sessions with "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now." I think there is a sea change in their sound beginning with that single and the subsequent two. He seemed to sharpen Porter's productions. "Please Please Please..." is widescreen and panoramic while most of the first album sounds canned and thin.

I've found that if I like the recording on Hatful of Hollow I tend to dislike the counterpart version on The Smiths and vice versa. E.g., the Peel Session version of "What Difference Does It Make" swings more while the harmonica intro on "Still Ill" is jarring and out of place. I despise the drum sound on the studio "Reel Around The Fountain," but the arrangement is better in that key, rather than the higher key on the Peel Session where Morrissey is still learning his vocal range on the job.

Johnny actually added some heft and clarity to the debut on the remaster a few years ago. The separation of the guitars is fairly stunning in spots. Some subtler moments jump out in the new mix.

:thumb:yes a lack sharpness.And the drums, the room/overhead mics and how they capture the rooms ambiance can really dictate the vibe of a song. Have yet to here the remaster of the first. So it's really worth it? thanks.

Last edited:
Not-Negative LOTL Review in Same Issue of MOJO Shock

First LOTL not-negative review shock! (That Times review was less negative but certainly not positive.)

Urgh, I had to wade through nine pages of people discussing the merits of Johnny Marr in the old who's-better debate to check to be sure, but... it seems that nobody noticed that on page 110 of the very same issue of MOJO (#265, December 2015) there is a three-out-of-five-star review of List of the Lost by one Roy Wilkinson, who says the book has "a similar crazed power" [to Sparks, who were apparently saluted by our Moz for having a lyrical take on sex].

Key phrase: "Hurtling out of the blocks full of blue-skied homoeroticism, it's as if Kenneth Williams is doing a voiceover for a US branch of Bona Books of Soho. Then, hints of Carson McCullers and the inner dialogue of some firebrand teenage vegan goth add to a mad cavalcade of authorial voices."

The reviewer seems to be as confused about the book as most us of, but he does not deride it in any way and concludes, "But, part a literary answer to B-movie lodestar Plan 9 From Outer Space and part a now-or-never collection of philosophical aperçus, it is not dull."

Anyway, since I was dulled by the aforementioned useless debate, it could well be I missed that somebody had already mentioned it. In that case, apologies.

Last edited:
I haven't read the Mojo review, but I'm not sure that a comparison to Plan 9 From Outer Space is really a compliment.

wow smh @ this comment!!! also, lol plz explain why Angie is the real cause of the Smiths breakup?

Besides being jealous of Morrissey and his relationship with Johnny and a bitch? She was a conniving little c*** that falsely convinced Johnny that he was better than The Smiths and she was clearly wrong. The breakup of The Smiths can be blamed squarely on her c***y ass. Does that explain it enough for you, powerbottom, or do you need to be pounded some more?

- - - Updated - - -

What are you? A fiften year old psycho. Ease up on moz-mania. Because ill tell you a secret: Morrissey doesnt give to shits if you live or die

And I give less shits about you. And yes, I am indeed a fifteen year old psycho, what are you, a sane paedophile?

- - - Updated - - -

Johnny Marr is a complete asshole with a taste for the little ones. ]

I didn't know Johnny had a predilection for midgets. What's your evidence? While you're at it could you tell us how the moon landings were fake? Or are you just a complete asshole c*** lying f***tard?

I am translating this message to mean that you want to have sex with me. Am I off here? Next time just be more direct.

Lovingly In Your Holes,
Poet

Besides being jealous of Morrissey and his relationship with Johnny and a bitch? She was a conniving little c*** that falsely convinced Johnny that he was better than The Smiths and she was clearly wrong. The breakup of The Smiths can be blamed squarely on her c***y ass. Does that explain it enough for you, powerbottom, or do you need to be pounded some more?

- - - Updated - - -

And I give less shits about you. And yes, I am indeed a fifteen year old psycho, what are you, a sane paedophile?

- - - Updated - - -

I am translating this message to mean that you want to have sex with me. Am I off here? Next time just be more direct.

Lovingly In Your Holes,
Poet

oh the madness ! :lbf: more please.

sweet, mzbts intersecting with themselves. not keeping track of what username it was using at the time.
i guess cicada will soon appear to round out the trio.
nobody wants to have sex with mzbts fhs.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Lovingly In Your Holes,
Poet

lmao plz you sound like one of those nutjobs on tumblr who think moz and marr had something going on or that moz fancied Johnny :crazy:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom