Johnny Marr on new Neil Finn album

Morning Star

For Eurocommunism!
From The Australian, 17/11/08:

CROWDED House frontman Neil Finn is donating all profits from his next album to Oxfam.

New Zealander Finn is assembling an all-star cast, including members of Radiohead, Modest Mouse and Wilco, to complete the album at his recording studio in Auckland over Christmas and early in the new year.

The project is a follow-up to the live album Seven Worlds Collide, released in 2001, which featured material recorded at a series of concerts by Finn and an international musical guest list in Auckland.

Many of the same Finn friends, such as former Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr and Radiohead's Ed O'Brien and Phil Selway, are involved in the new album, as are four members of US roots rock innovators Wilco, including singer and songwriter Jeff Tweedy.

Finn, who has performed concerts to raise money for Oxfam in the past, said that supporting the aid organisation would "make these sessions particularly meaningful".

"The Seven Worlds Collide concerts were an amazing experience for all of us, and we're delighted to have found an opportunity to gather again, this time to expand the concept and the line-up."

Oxfam Australia's acting executive director, James Ensor, welcomed Finn's initiative.

"We're delighted artists of this calibre are supporting the work we do," he said.

"At a time when the number of people living in extreme poverty is growing, funds generated from this project will be vital."

Crowded House will be in Australia later this month for a short series of shows.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24661250-16947,00.html

He covered the shit out of There Is A Light, and I approved, so this could be good. I'm an unapologetic fan of all Neil's stuff, from way back. I can remember when Split Enz split up, and I've been following him since. The police don't know a thing.

Johnny performing live in Aukland New Zealand

Johnny will be performing in Aukland New Zealand as part of the new '7 WORLDS Collide' project with Neil Finn and friends. The event is part of an Oxfam charity benefit which echoes the previous 7 Worlds project Johnny played in 2001 and involves members of Radiohead and Wilko.

The live dates are:

Monday January 5th, 2009 - at The Powerstation, Mt Eden Road, Auckland, NZ.
Tuesday January 6th, 2009 - at The Powerstation, Mt Eden Road, Auckland, NZ.
Wednesday January 7th, 2009 - at The Powerstation, Mt Eden Road, Auckland, NZ.

CROWDED House frontman Neil Finn is donating all profits from his next album to Oxfam.

I just wanted to say I think that's:clap::sweet::clap:

(hint hint hint hint hint wink wink nudge nudge happy birthday/ cough/ oh that's a cute baby/ I'd download them songs/ save the planet/ help the homeless/ do something nice for once/ you don't need that money anyway/ stop being such a selfish b- etc.)

I just wanted to say I think that's:clap::sweet::clap:

(hint hint hint hint hint wink wink nudge nudge happy birthday/ cough/ oh that's a cute baby/ I'd download them songs/ save the planet/ help the homeless/ do something nice for once/ you don't need that money anyway/ stop being such a selfish b- etc.)

I agree. The money will be going to a worthy cause. :clap:

I agree. The money will be going to a worthy cause. :clap:

...If only Morrissey could stop seeing himself as a worthy cause! :p
...Then the world would be a better place.

"Does Boz Boorer know it's Christmas"? (Er. I'd say he does.)

PS:in case you're preparing donations to crapeta and the abnormal liberation front just to piss people off now Morrissey, don't bother.:rolleyes:

The day Morrissey joins the happy clappy "look what I'm doing for charity, aren't I a nice bloke, where's the next charity concert I can get my mug seen on" brigade is the day I lose interest.

The day Morrissey joins the happy clappy "look what I'm doing for charity, aren't I a nice bloke, where's the next charity concert I can get my mug seen on" brigade is the day I lose interest.

He wouldn't have to say anything! He could become the Benefactor and wear a mask and a very tight costume:horny: , operate at night and nobody would have to know he's just ol' boring Morrissey in the daytime!

Noone would suspect him to be The Benefactor either because he never does anything selfless!:eek:

Flawless plan.:cool: All we have to do now is convince him.

(Ok forget it.)

New Zealander Finn is assembling an all-star cast, including members of Radiohead, Modest Mouse and Wilco, to complete the album at his recording studio in Auckland over Christmas and early in the new year.

The project is a follow-up to the live album Seven Worlds Collide, released in 2001, which featured material recorded at a series of concerts by Finn and an international musical guest list in Auckland.

Many of the same Finn friends, such as former Smiths' guitarist Johnny Marr and Radiohead's Ed O'Brien and Phil Selway, are involved in the new album, as are four members of US roots rock innovators Wilco, including singer and songwriter Jeff Tweedy.

Finn, who has performed concerts to raise money for Oxfam in the past, said that supporting the aid organisation would "make these sessions particularly meaningful".

"The Seven Worlds Collide concerts were an amazing experience for all of us, and we're delighted to have found an opportunity to gather again, this time to expand the concept and the line-up."

Oxfam Australia's acting executive director, James Ensor, welcomed Finn's initiative.

"We're delighted artists of this calibre are supporting the work we do," he said.

"At a time when the number of people living in extreme poverty is growing, funds generated from this project will be vital."

Crowded House will be in Australia later this month for a short series of shows.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24661250-16947,00.html

A few years ago I was lucky enough to see Neil Finn play here in San Diego at The House Of Blues- and Johnny Marr was his *guest* for the evening. I overheard two guys talking about it as I didn't know who the guest musician was going to be, and when they uttered Marr's name, I had to go up to them to have them tell me more! It was a great show. Johnny sang, "Down On The Corner" but he looked a little sad. After he finished the song, he said, jokingly, "Is anybody depressed?" (but unfortunately few people got the joke.) Neil Finn is one of my very favorite musicians and I applaud him for his donation to Oxfam.

He covered the shit out of There Is A Light, and I approved, so this could be good. I'm an unapologetic fan of all Neil's stuff, from way back. I can remember when Split Enz split up, and I've been following him since. The police don't know a thing.

I'm glad you liked Split Enz too- I saw them in 1981-2 and back then, Tim Finn was the frontman, (Neil looked so nervous!) for the True Colours album. Neil Finn comes in as a second to Morrissey with me, definitely.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom