Johnny marr on taking a break from music and his new autobiography

T

Tynamuna

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/...eak-from-music-and-his-upcoming-autobiography

From the article

"After his first two solo albums ‘The Messenger’ and ‘Playland’ were released in quick succession (2013 and ’14 respectively), guitar great Johnny Marr is planning a break from music. But the workaholic former Smiths, Cribs and Modest Mouse icon is only switching his attentions to finishing his autobiography, due to be published by Century in autumn 2016, admitting that touring is too much of a distraction."

Re: Johnny marr on taking a break from music and his new autobiography.

I love him, but idk if i'm that interested in his autobiography. I don't think he will reveal much about The Smith's breakup and that's what i find most interesting. Same thing happened with Moz. Don't get me wrong, i loved his autobiography, but it was a bit of a let down how little time he dedicated to The Smiths in his book.

Something for the Marr-haters around these parts to celebrate.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/...eak-from-music-and-his-upcoming-autobiography

From the article

"After his first two solo albums ‘The Messenger’ and ‘Playland’ were released in quick succession (2013 and ’14 respectively), guitar great Johnny Marr is planning a break from music. But the workaholic former Smiths, Cribs and Modest Mouse icon is only switching his attentions to finishing his autobiography, due to be published by Century in autumn 2016, admitting that touring is too much of a distraction."

...it's never in this year...

*yawn*

Marr's music is his autobiography.

i havent seen any marr haters though ive seen some contrast the suffering muso image that went on for a bit. i cant see how many expected moz to ponder the smiths to much as a unit and not just his role in it. i mean his solo albums at times charted better and were more well known to many and hes been performing solo for way longer than the smiths existed and his stance on many non musical subjects were obviously gonna be talked about a bit as some know him just for being an animal rights activist. marr on the other hand i could see talking about his formative years developing a love of music which im very excited to read about. he might not be the best for factual bios and recalling of musical groups but i love his opinions on the subject as his obvious love of it shines through. im excited to hear about in detail what music influenced hiom and how he came to it. if it ends just as the smiths begin id be fine with that. thats what i want to hear

I'll give this book a try. But in all honest i wasn't even that intrested or keen to read Morrissey auto. Don't get me wrong Morrissey autobio was a masterpiece but........... Why did he need to write it to being with. To clear things up? Well i'm still as confused with the following weeks several statments of moz and the press reactions. Why did Morrissey feel it was neseccery to explain anything to us? Mysterious moz is the best moz. But i think johnnys book will give a happier and more "objective" view on the Smiths. I hope its will be focused on the smiths. Johnny does not have as a exciting solo career as moz, in My opinion. But i Love Johnny despite not listening so much on his solo stuff or the fact that i don't respect him as much as i do morrissey

Last edited by a moderator:

how can anyone hate him? i get not liking his post smith music, but he seems like such a nice person.

I'm eager to read the book but I was kinda hoping for another solo album this year or next year at the rate he's going! I slept on "The Messenger" until about a year after it came out and once I finally listened I was hooked.

I'm eager to read the book but I was kinda hoping for another solo album this year or next year at the rate he's going! I slept on "The Messenger" until about a year after it came out and once I finally listened I was hooked.

The messenger was good! I saw him live and loved it then bought it. Play land wasn't as good though.

Let's crowd-fund for a Jesse autobiography, he might follow Johnny's example and retire from playing guitar!

Back
Top Bottom