Johnny Marr on The Smiths' legacy and Morrissey: "You can't change history..." - NME

Johnny Marr on The Smiths’ legacy and Morrissey: “You can’t change history. The songs are out there for people to judge” - NME

Excerpt:

Speaking of context, Morrissey has seen his music banned from record stores and posters removed from train stations due to his recent support of For Britain. Are you worried about a generation of people missing out on the music of The Smiths as a result?
“No. I don’t think you can change history. I’ve said that before. I’m not worried. It’s got nothing to do with my world or my life. The songs are out there for people to judge, relate to and hear. I think that’s all going to be forgotten in a few weeks, as these things inevitably are – for better or worse. It’s always been that way. I understand the issue, but I’m used to stuff coming and going. I don’t worry about people missing out on the culture. That would be like saying to a teenage me ‘Are you worried about you and your mates missing out on The Velvet Underground?’ That was never going to happen. I know the way things go. Things come and go.”

While we’re on the subject of Morrissey, did you see the biopic England Is Mine and how you were portrayed?

“I honestly didn’t, and I feel bad because the guy who played me is a really nice guy and was really sincere about it. I just kept forgetting to watch that bit! I didn’t hear great things about the film, though. It just came and went for me. Luckily, I have so many things I want to think about that they distract me from all kinds of stuff.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Top bloke.

“f*** Theresa May. f*** her! Good riddance. I thought Cameron had some front. She’s just a vile, vile human being. Where’s the humanity?”

Chatting the usual bollocks to appeal to the youth. When will he realise that outside of The Smiths and maye Pet Shop Boys/Electronic he has failed to make anything comparable to Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Vauxhall, Southpaw, Maladjusted, Quarry, California son.

Pander to the same group of youths who call Morrissey a racist (Which believe me he is not) and get offended on someone else's behalf

right, like anyone cares what :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: has to say about anything.:crazy:

here he is at the last gig of the financially disastrous comet tour:

cartoon-depressed-guy-holding-out-a-hat-by-toonaday-5679.jpg

poor miserable broke wretch:thumbsdown:

Chatting the usual bollocks to appeal to the youth. When will he realise that outside of The Smiths and maye Pet Shop Boys/Electronic he has failed to make anything comparable to Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Vauxhall, Southpaw, Maladjusted, Quarry, California son.

Pander to the same group of youths who call Morrissey a racist (Which believe me he is not) and get offended on someone else's behalf

Poor miserable twat. 55 year old with neck tatsdoh:
tats on his arms and pupic.doh:
55 years old this Cometic specimen.:lbf:

Johnny Marr on The Smiths’ legacy and Morrissey: “You can’t change history. The songs are out there for people to judge”

Spillers think otherwise. The twats!

Johnny Marr on The Smiths’ legacy and Morrissey: “You can’t change history. The songs are out there for people to judge”

Spillers think otherwise. The twats!

WtF????? o_O
which puppet would ask Mr Cometry about Moz legacy LOL:lbf:

what legacy? MOZ LEGACY FFS:lbf:
Moz wrote the Smiths songs thats why he hasnt written a single decent lyric or melody since
Moz gave him the boot.:thumb:

the sucky european me/comet loony songs are his legacy:lbf:

Top bloke.

“f*** Theresa May. f*** her! Good riddance. I thought Cameron had some front. She’s just a vile, vile human being. Where’s the humanity?”
"I find the Tory Labour, Tory Labour constant switching to be pointless. Guess who said that.
Teresa May was pointless as was Cameron. Who's next? Boris,? LOL.

"I find the Tory Labour, Tory Labour constant switching to be pointless. Guess who said that.
Teresa May was pointless as was Cameron. Who's next? Boris,? LOL.

Moz has a new album next year, LO AND BEHOLD, the day after Moz lets the info out, :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
also has another sucky album coming out next year. Hes a remora
this Cometic one..doh:

I think it's fair to say that Morrissey doesn't really care about the Smiths, but is more into his solo career. Johnny Marr comes off as nonchalant about the Smiths' legacy in interviews, but he is actively reclaiming the Smiths. He is doing this by playing a set laden with songs of the Smiths at a dozen festivals all over Europe this summer in front of hundreds of thousands of people. These are young people who may not even know who Morrissey is, but they love singing along with the songs and will associate them with Johnny. Smart guy.

"I’m not worried. It’s got nothing to do with my world or my life". I've never heard him talk about Moz like that... It makes me sad. But it's the truth.

the peeps at that festival probably think they are listening to Chinese music.:lbf:

after the festival with the captured audience is back to his string of tiny not sold
out club shows.:straightface:

o...and how can we forget, there is 'interest' in a movie based on his sucko book.
they make a movie on Moz right away he has to have one too.(interest from the missus
and hooky) some movie, :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: playing a little boring riff on the :guitar: then off
to that parlor. I guess the part with the comets will make it a blockbuster.:crazy:

Good read that, at least Johnny is still grounded in something approaching reality and looking forwards rather than being insular. Great comments about the youth of today too. I like his positivity, it is a good thing.

Good read that, at least Johnny is still grounded in something approaching reality and looking forwards rather than being insular. Great comments about the youth of today too. I like his positivity, it is a good thing.

:rolleyes:

Grounded in REALITY???:lbf::lbf:

grounded in talking comets, tattoos and wigs.:lbf:
old 57 year old :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: commenting on the youth of today.
Way out there:crazy: maybe too many pizza pops:lbf:

Agreed, love his positivity! Really interested in the movie news. In light of the success of the Queen, Motley Crue and Elton John movies - I'll bet Hollywood is looking for good stories. Johnny's teenage years are particularly adventurous! Unlike "England Is Mine", a movie made with actual input from Johnny would be very interesting.

:rolleyes:

very exciting youth by:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
look at him, he scream excitement:lbf:

sam_1683.jpg

he did smooch with that one dude for damn near 45 min, maybe they can
loop it into a yoko ono movie:lbf:

I think it's fair to say that Morrissey doesn't really care about the Smiths, but is more into his solo career. Johnny Marr comes off as nonchalant about the Smiths' legacy in interviews, but he is actively reclaiming the Smiths. He is doing this by playing a set laden with songs of the Smiths at a dozen festivals all over Europe this summer in front of hundreds of thousands of people. These are young people who may not even know who Morrissey is, but they love singing along with the songs and will associate them with Johnny. Smart guy.

Cool to see so many people singing along! I love the Smiths!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom