Johnny Marr performs "Please, Please, Please..." on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon"

Gorgeous intro. Johnny does really sing with his heart. The only words I can think of to describe this video clip is soothing & peaceful.

Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Johnny Marr: Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want -" Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" video
Musical guest Johnny Marr performs "Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want" as a web exclusive.

<iframe src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=n43317" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. Wrong voice.

Also, isn't it generally agreed upon it's a song about longing for companionship and love? He's been married his whole life. Did he write the song? Yes. Why is he singing it now? Cashing in on the sorrow.

Last edited:
brilliant song, beautifully played :)

Johnny Marr ! What a brilliant version that was, well done and with dignity as well unlike those other muppets who never fail to bastardise the old classics, watch and learn muppet band.

Benny-the-Butcher

Sorry. Wrong voice.

Also, isn't it generally agreed upon it's a song about longing for companionship and love? He's been married his whole life. Did he write the song? Yes. Why is he singing it now? Cashing in on the sorrow.

Sorry, it's not often I swear here, but this whole comment is f***ing ridiculous.
A lovely rendition by Johnny.

Aaaahhhh! This is just superb. Well done Johnny Marr and his band for such a beautiful performance.

Sorry. Wrong voice.

Weren't you at this show? I was at the last show in Portland a few nights later, and thought this song was given a very poor treatment. The drum sound, the plodding pace, the overly sentimental goopiness, and don't even get me started on the guitar outro...

Let Johnny have a go. His voice has actually gotten loads better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. Wrong voice.

This is the single dumbest thing you have said on these forums to date.

1. Johnny wrote the music to this song. It was a collaboration between he and Moz. There would be no lyrics if the music had not inspired them. So that makes Johnny's contribution first and foremost salient to the birth of this song.

2. If Morrissey can sing it and have his band play Johnny's music, then why can't and shouldn't Johnny play it and SING it as well. He's doing both. That makes it doubly special in my book.

3. Where the hell is it written that this song is about wanting love, marriage, or a long-term romantic relationship? Projection anyone? It can be about yearning for anything. Happiness, for one thing.

4. I guess Morrissey should never cover songs about topis he has no direct experience with, according to your logic? Hello! Not all songs are autobiographical--especially covers.

5. Cashing in? Try pleasing his fans.

Last edited:
Sorry, it's not often I swear here, but this whole comment is f***ing ridiculous.

Totally agree! It's beautiful and heartfelt.

And to say that Johnny is "cashing in" on a song that he wrote is hilarious. You want to talk about cashing in? Lou Reed was still warm when Moz began negotiations to release that live cover of "Satellite of Love."

Ridiculous is what she does best.I left this site because of her pathetic contributions. Just needed to distance myself from people who claim to be fans and yet don't have the intellect to understand the very thing they claim to adore. 90% of her posts are hilarious (but not in a good way) Johnny has every right to perform this song. Particularly when he does it so beautifully.

He plays with such finesse. I know I know it can never be the same but when I listen to Morrissey's band there is too much reverb on this song and they play it too rocky. It requires a delicate touch even hearing the tamborine instead of the piano used by Moz's crew. They've had long enough now and it's still not good enough. (Having said that I only really like two tracks on 'Messenger' was mucho disappointed)

- - - Updated - - -

It's nice that Boz likes Johnny.

CrystalGeezer has a point. The song was originally sung by Morrissey in his 20's and the sentiment was from a perspective quite different to that being sung by Johnny today. The performance is good but to overlook the context and criticize those who comment upon it is unfair

CrystalGeezer has a point. The song was originally sung by Morrissey in his 20's and the sentiment was from a perspective quite different to that being sung by Johnny today. The performance is good but to overlook the context and criticize those who comment upon it is unfair

She is talking out of her ample backside.
And so are you.
(And I mean out of hers).

MORRIZSEY, I see your point, but then wouldn't this disqualify 54-year-old Morrissey from singing it as well? He is no longer the young man who has never experienced real love. He's said as much in Autobiography.

I do generally enjoy Moz's band, but this is one song they clobber to death, beating the subtlety and quiet beauty out of it. Johnny's band does it justice, and his vocals are lovely.

I think Johnny's rendition is absolutely beautiful.

Johnny perfectly understands the context.
She criticised him got married in his twenties which showed her comment was UNFAIR and pathetic.

That is hogwash. A great song is timeless and has universal themes that we can all relate to. Please, please, please is one of these songs. 100 years from now--long after Moz and Johnny are gone--someone can record this song and it would be loved and understood in the same way as it is today. One wouldn't need the back story to get this song. No explanation or history lesson needed.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom