Johnny Marr podcast feat. 'Whether he worries about Morrissey ruining The Smiths’ legacy' - WFPK

Consequence of Sound present a podcast featuring Johnny via Kyle Meredith.
Kyle Meredith With… is an interview series in which WFPK’s Kyle Meredith speaks to a wide breadth of musicians.

Johnny Marr On Why He Turned Down The The’s Reunion and Whether He Worries About Morrissey Ruining The Smiths’ Legacy.

He also discusses his new solo album and future collaborations with Hans Zimmer.

Podcast (17:00 - box set discussion leading in to the 'legacy' question):

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/06/kyle-meredith-johnny-marr/

There are various formats for this audio interview - YouTube was the easiest to share.
Regards,
FWD.

(just seen this link in the Hi Hello/Marr thread after posting - it didn't show in similar articles - hence repeat info. Included in 'general' as it directly relates to Morrissey).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting, preesh. Why is the sound so bad? Johnny sounds like he is on a payphone in 1993. I mean, don't these people do this for a living - f***ing jokes.

It feels odd to hear Johnny say that his guitar “guesting” days are over. To go from sessioning for so long to suddenly striking out for a solo career – it’s interesting and disorientating, the reverse of most career trajectories. I wonder what prompted the sea change in his head; why did he want to start over at 50?

It feels odd to hear Johnny say that his guitar “guesting” days are over. To go from sessioning for so long to suddenly striking out for a solo career – it’s interesting and disorientating, the reverse of most career trajectories. I wonder what prompted the sea change in his head; why did he want to start over at 50?

Well he didn't say he was done collaborating, I think it was more along the lines of he wasn't going to be in someone else's band like he was in Modest Mouse or the Cribs. Which makes sense. He can still write songs with bands without being a touring member.

What time does Johnny speak on Moz/Smiths? It's pretty loud where I am right now, so I don't have the luxury of listening to the whole thing and skimming, I didn't hear anything about it.

What time does Johnny speak on Moz/Smiths? It's pretty loud where I am right now, so I don't have the luxury of listening to the whole thing and skimming, I didn't hear anything about it.
17:00 - box set discussion leading in to the 'legacy' question.
Regards,
FWD.

' Ruining The Smiths’ Legacy' :rolleyes: :drama:

or as Kyle actually said 'take away from'. really ? :lbf:

'get a grip' Kyle.

tut.

' it's my legacy to ruin my own way '

:cool:

Anyways, IT IS MORRISSEY WHO IS keeping the legacy
alive and protecting it by continuing to carry the torch that made The Smiths great. It's everyone else (media, public opinion)who seem to be doing everything to harm it or interviewers like this trying hard to to stir the pot when there isn't even a pot. Johnny can care less, he's living his life doing his thing.

Marr's a phenomenal guitarist, but to me only phenomenal when collaborating with an interesting front man
and there's only two that come to mind 1 Morrissey and 2 Matt Johnson.

' same old joke since 1982'

:lbf: oh Johnny ! Sounds great, though in my opinion Johnny knows what pleases the audience ( and why not?) but, as his lyric change reveals he knows
playing those songs, going through the motions... it's just an old joke rehashed. When did he start wearing his guitar so low?

' Ruining The Smiths’ Legacy' :rolleyes: :drama:

or as Kyle actually said 'take away from'. really ? :lbf:

'get a grip' Kyle.

tut.

' it's my legacy to ruin my own way '

:cool:

Anyways, IT IS MORRISSEY WHO IS keeping the legacy
alive and protecting it by continuing to carry the torch that made The Smiths great. It's everyone else (media, public opinion)who seem to be doing everything to harm it or interviewers like this trying hard to to stir the pot when there isn't even a pot. Johnny can care less, he's living his life doing his thing.

Marr's a phenomenal guitarist, but to me only phenomenal when collaborating with an interesting front man
and there's only two that come to mind 1 Morrissey and 2 Matt Johnson.

Yeah, that's why he can't sell out smaller venues anymore, musicians are lining up to pan his racist views, and, let's face it, EVERYONE loves that chug by numbers he churns out these days. Get a f***ing grip and have a word with yourself. The internal conflict must be painful.

Last edited:
' same old joke since 1982'

:lbf: oh Johnny ! Sounds great, though in my opinion Johnny knows what pleases the audience ( and why not?) but, as his lyric change reveals he knows
playing those songs, going through the motions... it's just an old joke rehashed. When did he start wearing his guitar so low?

Your defend-at-all-costs position is risible. But maybe I'm being unfair - maybe you like racist arseholes - maybe you ARE one, and maybe you LIKE tuneless shite.

Yeah, that's why he can't sell out smaller venues anymore, musicians are lining up to pan his racist views, and, let's face it, EVERYONE loves that chug by numbers he churns out these days. Get a f***ing grip and have a word with yourself. The internal conflict musty be painful.

It must be quite a shock for him not to sell those small venues out on day 1, no doubt they will be full by the time of the gig but hopefully this will send a message to him. He should have also only played one night at Castlefield as well, going to be weird going there if its not as sell out as the 3 occasions I have been in the past (James twice and New Order) the place has been rammed.

It looks and sounds amazing...

Do you really think that? Give him your autograph Mr Maher lol. He knows he can’t get the attention of the Main Man lol. #Anythingwilldowhenoldanddesperateololo.

Your defend-at-all-costs position is risible. But maybe I'm being unfair - maybe you like racist arseholes - maybe you ARE one, and maybe you LIKE tuneless shite.
Your grandchildren will call you a racist within 30 years, that I can assure you. Now go and enjoy your terrific horrific life :crazy::lbf:

How did a post informing the faithful that Johnny Marr has released a podcast turn into a Skinny focused wank-fest once again? Ignore the boring f***er. He's a twat. Everyone knows he's a twat. His only source of amusement in his pathetic little shit-stained life is getting a response on here. Don't feed the f***er!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom