Johnny Marr & Robyn Hitchcock play ‘Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want’

Johnny Marr and Robyn Hitchcock play ‘Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mlt_43QVBs

Saturday night, Johnny Marr brought a special guest on stage for the encore of his concert in Portsmouth, England: Robyn Hitchcock, who helped Marr perform the Smiths classic “Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want” and Hitchcock’s own “Tell Me About Your Drugs.” Video of the “Please, Please, Please” performance — featuring a lengthy guitar duet between the two.

Re: Johnny Marr and Robyn Hitchcock play ‘Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want’

Nice version, Ronnie Wood looks well.

Watch Johnny Marr and Robyn Hitchcock play ‘Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want’ - Slicing Up Eyeballs

Saturday night, Johnny Marr brought a special guest on stage for the encore of his concert in Portsmouth, England: Robyn Hitchcock, who helped Marr perform the Smiths classic “Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want” and Hitchcock’s own “Tell Me About Your Drugs.” Video of the “Please, Please, Please” performance — featuring a lengthy guitar duet between the two at the top — is now available via corlessi.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was great...until they started singing. All of which reminds the world of how perfect Morrissey/Marr were.

It's obvious, but there's just something about Marr's playing that is intrinsically beautiful. It's not a complicated piece technically, but if you asked 10 great guitarists to play it no one would capture the essence quite the same. I could listen to Marr play instrumental versions of Smiths tunes for days.

i used to feel that way until i started noticing that none of marrs playing or should i say writing had that unique quality in the musical arrangements outside of the smiths which i later found out to be morrisseys hand. hes a deft player and i like hearing him play but sometimes i feel like im forcing it a bit as he hasnt done anything outside of the smiths to distinguish himself to me in that way. viva hate proved what i liked about morrisseys music still existed in force outside the smiths right away and im still waiting for marr to do that. i mean why hasnt he done anything in that vein or anything similar to the smiths since he split? its also kinda funny to watch, marrs and morrisseys roles change to the public with morrissey being the ego and marr the workman when in reality it started out the opposite with johnny showing up on morrisseys doorstep hair all done up telling them theyd be stars.

Johnny why are you playing with this misogynistic son of Alan Thicke? Being the son of Alan Thicke is bad enough, but being a talentless misogynistic arse-weasel is surely the final nail in the coffin

Last edited:
i used to feel that way until i started noticing that none of marrs playing or should i say writing had that unique quality in the musical arrangements outside of the smiths which i later found out to be morrisseys hand. hes a deft player and i like hearing him play but sometimes i feel like im forcing it a bit as he hasnt done anything outside of the smiths to distinguish himself to me in that way. viva hate proved what i liked about morrisseys music still existed in force outside the smiths right away and im still waiting for marr to do that. i mean why hasnt he done anything in that vein or anything similar to the smiths since he split? its also kinda funny to watch, marrs and morrisseys roles change to the public with morrissey being the ego and marr the workman when in reality it started out the opposite with johnny showing up on morrisseys doorstep hair all done up telling them theyd be stars.

I think the reason he hasn't had a hand in any great songs is on account of Morrissey - i.e. it was Morrissey who fashioned the music into great songs - but as for the music itself, I'd say it's the absence of John Porter that's the reason he has never emulated that early work. If you think of 'How Soon is Now', 'This Charming Man', 'William, It Was Really Nothing' - all Porter-produced records; even on the later Smiths albums, the music sounds rudimentary compared to the Porter stuff (albeit melodic) let alone what he did post-Smiths. Marr always made out, for years, that he was consciously trying to put the 'jingle-jangle' label behind him, and try new stuff, but the truth is he just couldn't make that music on his own: Electronic's 'For You' is a crass attempt to do so, a kind of lumbering essay in the style of 'This Charming Man' that doesn't come close to that record's subtlety. Porter didn't just do the mixes, he'd splice together bits and pieces of Marr's music to create effectively new music that was as much a revelation to Marr as it was to anyone else. He should have gotten a co-writer credit. But then, so should Rourke - he had as much claim to the music with some of those bass lines, as Marr did for his guitar.

hmm i never thought about the porter connection to the music and can certainly see the change in regards to strangeway and for sure agree with you about rourke as marr himself has said many times that people will come up to him and hum what they think is the guitar and tell him how much they love it only to have to tell them that its actually the bassline theyre singing (ask is a good example of this). ill have to think about that and go back to the albums to see for myself but thats an interesting thought. i remember porter in one of the many smiths doc talking about the cutting up of the music and that makes sense to me. marr writes a lot of great riffs and is for sure a deft player (i dont wanna feel like im talking him down) and it did seem like he was trying to move away from that sound (which in part in do believe was his honest intent) but i also think he was a bit afraid of blowing that rep he accumulated as the smiths guitarist.

One would be hard pressed to sing that song any worse than that... He sounds like a lethargic cat, choking up a sandy hairball.

It's obvious, but there's just something about Marr's playing that is intrinsically beautiful. It's not a complicated piece technically, but if you asked 10 great guitarists to play it no one would capture the essence quite the same. I could listen to Marr play instrumental versions of Smiths tunes for days.

It's not a question of who can capture the essence, yes it might be easy to play but about the fact he came up with it, lots of great pieces aren't complicated, but it took that person to come up with it.

http://diffuser.fm/under-cover-robyn-hitchcock-is-haunted-by-the-psychedelic-furs-ghost/

Under Cover: Robyn Hitchcock Is Haunted by the Psychedelic Furs’ ‘Ghost’
by Dave Swanson, diffuser.fm

(Hitchcock also recently joined former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr onstage for a rendition of the Smiths’ classic 'Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want')

There are so many great covers of Furs (my other other favorite band) songs, but I think Robyn's is my favorite. I think it's wonderful that he's finally done it in studio—he's been performing it live for many years.

Tags
hitchcock marr please

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom