Johnny Marr slams "Classically Smiths" in Mojo interview

Johnny Marr slams ex-bandmates - The List
Johnny Marr has slammed the former members of The Smiths who planned to tour a classical version of the group's hits this year

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr has blasted his former Smiths bandmates over their reunion project.

The iconic group announced earlier this year they were to reunite as Classically Smiths without the guitarist and frontman Morrissey for a series of orchestral shows with occasional guitarist Craig Gannon but axed the gigs after bassist Andy Rourke denied his involvement, prompting drummer Mike Joyce to pull out.

And now Johnny has admitted their proposal felt like being "burgled" by a former acquaintance and slammed his ex-bandmates for "plundering" their legacy.

He told MOJO magazine: "What a farce. That was so obviously about money.

"The legacy was being plundered.

"I wasn't consulted and that tells you all you need to know, I think.

"It felt like being burgled by someone you used to know. It's a good job those guys weren't running the band when we were actually together, else we would never have been able to get one concert together."

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
The more I read about JM (on here especially) the more I'm growing to DISLIKE him. He's going to begrudge a few ex members a few quid? I'd have gone to see them to hear how the 'worker Smiths' still sound. Vegan Cro is bang on about DRAMA J :frogface::frogface::frogface::frogface::frogface::frogface::frogface:

Just what has he done since The Smiths??? Oh yeah, THE THE :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::weary:

Well you would think he’s bang on seeing as you are Vegan Cro but a registered version.

Well you would think he’s bang on seeing as you are Vegan Cro but a registered version.

Dear God, he's cloned himself!

I don't think anyone would have a problem if Morrissey said what Johnny is saying, which he would most likely support. I'm sure they didn't ask him either!

There are some great guitarists who rarely get a mention these days: Richard Oakes from Suede. Bernard Butler was the 1990's version of Suede was amazing too. Peter Hook is an amazing bass player. They must get well sick of hearing 'Johnny this and Johnny that', as if there was only one guitarist in the world. Steve Cradock (with Paul Weller) is ace too but never gets a mention.
Jeff Hanneman was a better guitarist and songwriter than Keffy King, opps, wrong forum lol
JM could never do a REAL guitar solo to save his dyed hair.

I'm fed up of the way J Marr, considers himself the spokesperson for the group. Rourke has more talent in his little finger. I don't like Marr, I never have.
For f***'s sake, calm down. Why on earth would you wish death on Johnny Marr, you demented cow?
Not death, just grazed a little bit. Simply because he's taken advantage of a maladjusted person, and portrayed himself in a better light. And because he's talentless.

The more I read about JM (on here especially) the more I'm growing to DISLIKE him. He's going to begrudge a few ex members a few quid? I'd have gone to see them to hear how the 'worker Smiths' still sound. Vegan Cro is bang on about DRAMA J :frogface::frogface::frogface::frogface::frogface:

Just what has he done since The Smiths??? Oh yeah, THE THE :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::weary:

:frogface: has to be 'consulted' As if he were Prime Minister. :laughing:

I would love to have seen how Classically Smiths would have ended up. Johnny is being a bit of a dick here.
I bet seeing and hearing Andy would have had me weeping.
You could put him with a classical orchestra and he would have had me weeping too. I can only think of Paul McCartney in his hey day who came close.

Ah, another row where one person from The Smiths was great and all the others were shit. Johnny was a fantastic composer and his playing wasn't bad either, Andy's parts were generally superb, the band wouldn't have been the same without Joyce, Morrissey was obviously a great lyricist and words have never been delivered with greater sincerity. Because one is good the others don't have to be bad, they were majestic as a unit.

Last edited:
Ah, another row where one person from The Smiths was great and all the others were shit. Johnny was a fantastic composer and his playing wasn't bad either, Andy's parts were generally superb, the band wouldn't have been the same without Joyce, Morrissey was obviously a great lyricist and words have never been delivered with greater sincerity. Because one is good the others dont' have to be bad, they were majestic as a unit.

It amazes me to think that any fan could listen to say, The Queen Is Dead (the track) and say that any of the four were weak or even mediocre on it.

Ah, another row where one person from The Smiths was great and all the others were shit. Johnny was a fantastic composer and his playing wasn't bad either, Andy's parts were generally superb, the band wouldn't have been the same without Joyce, Morrissey was obviously a great lyricist and words have never been delivered with greater sincerity. Because one is good the others dont' have to be bad, they were majestic as a unit.

Well look who magically popped up. Chezz.:straightface: You will usually find Chezz posting right 'behind' lol Skinny or/and "Surface".:tears:

Chezz, if :frogface:is such a wonderful person why didnt he have Andy on his tour or CD? Andy is in Brooklyn and could have used the bread.:hibiscus:

I get it, but who doesn't have a formerly close friend who they now think is a complete and utter bastard? I don't have a personal stake in a band's politics, and I'm of the opinion that Rourke was integral, Joyce- a good drummer, but the drummer is never the star. The classically Smiths thing just seemed off to me. A rhythm section touring the music of:

Bass lines = SUBLIME. Drums, he was no Dave Lombardo was he :squiffy::brows::brows:
He was a punk rock drummer, that's not an apology he was good at what he did and if he hadn't have been there, the drummer that was would have changed the way they sounded, and they wouldn't have been the Smiths.
If the London Philharmonic tomorrow announced a night of Beatles music, with no input from Ringo or Paul, no one would bat an eye, It would sell out and everyone would applaud the effort keeping the legacy rolling, it seems a shame the part these two played in The Smiths is being forever knocked. they where there they did contribute and have as much right as anyone to play cover versions of Smiths songs as anyone else. The Smythes, Smiths Ltd, The mexican chaps all make a living from it, not to mention Morrissey and Marr themselves. Johnny Marrs never jumped up berating The Smythes why this? it's disappointing.

Dear God, he's cloned himself!

I don't think anyone would have a problem if Morrissey said what Johnny is saying, which he would most likely support. I'm sure they didn't ask him either!
Some slugs and other slimy invertebrates resort to asexual reproduction in the absence of a willing mate.
And Veegancro is definitely one that should go f*** themselves, because god knows no one else is lining up to.

Hahahahahaha! f***ing Phil Collins? Hahahahahaha!

Next you'll be showing me Neil Peart and his 72 piece super kit.

If Neil Peart were also Geddy Lee, you would have a point.

Lots of people make money out of Morrissey, the latest lot are just taking the piss now. I won't type their names, they know who they are.

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom