Johnny Marr slams "Classically Smiths" in Mojo interview

Johnny Marr slams ex-bandmates - The List
Johnny Marr has slammed the former members of The Smiths who planned to tour a classical version of the group's hits this year

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr has blasted his former Smiths bandmates over their reunion project.

The iconic group announced earlier this year they were to reunite as Classically Smiths without the guitarist and frontman Morrissey for a series of orchestral shows with occasional guitarist Craig Gannon but axed the gigs after bassist Andy Rourke denied his involvement, prompting drummer Mike Joyce to pull out.

And now Johnny has admitted their proposal felt like being "burgled" by a former acquaintance and slammed his ex-bandmates for "plundering" their legacy.

He told MOJO magazine: "What a farce. That was so obviously about money.

"The legacy was being plundered.

"I wasn't consulted and that tells you all you need to know, I think.

"It felt like being burgled by someone you used to know. It's a good job those guys weren't running the band when we were actually together, else we would never have been able to get one concert together."

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a punk rock drummer, that's not an apology he was good at what he did and if he hadn't have been there, the drummer that was would have changed the way they sounded, and they wouldn't have been the Smiths.
If the London Philharmonic tomorrow announced a night of Beatles music, with no input from Ringo or Paul, no one would bat an eye, It would sell out and everyone would applaud the effort keeping the legacy rolling, it seems a shame the part these two played in The Smiths is being forever knocked. they where there they did contribute and have as much right as anyone to play cover versions of Smiths songs as anyone else. The Smythes, Smiths Ltd, The mexican chaps all make a living from it, not to mention Morrissey and Marr themselves. Johnny Marrs never jumped up berating The Smythes why this? it's disappointing.

Agreed big time. It appears that JM just needs the publicity to promote his shoddy music. Does Ringo berate a cover band keeping the Beatles alive?? Doubt it. JM is becoming an insufferable bore, his time was The Smiths and now it's over he wants to somehow 'protect' his royality cheques and cover his arse.
He was a solid drummer, and his lack of tech prowess probably helped the song structures no end. After all it's group effort.

It’s becoming a bit silly, all this talk about “the legacy.”

What legacy?

The Smiths were nothing more than a band that created some decent tunes. They weren’t a bunch of Van Gogh’s painting sunflowers. The Smiths never made it to the big league and Morrissey never became an A-list celebrity.

Legacy, smegacy.

Rush has nothing to do with Phil Collins. So did you really have a point?

G23 never has a point that would make any sense. You ask him something and his reply consists of nonsensical outer space stuff about galactic species.:crazy:

If only they had all been paid properly for their time in the Smiths, this type of idea would probably never have come up.

The drummer is never the star. Even if that "star" is Phil Collins, or a "Starr" like Ringo. Keep up.

There is nothing to keep up with, I’m afraid. Actually, it seems I would have to slow down to an ignorant crawl to even understand how you can contradict yourself from one sentence to the next. Its OK, though, maybe if you use more quotation marks people won’t “notice”.

it ok for johnboy to put the boot in when hes got millions in the bank,least give the guys a few quid to secure their future,the gigs would have been well attended.dont even think M would have acted like this.

Not death, just grazed a little bit. Simply because he's taken advantage of a maladjusted person, and portrayed himself in a better light. And because he's talentless.
Dear heavens. You must really dislike the Smiths. Strange, most people here adore them.

Dear heavens. You must really dislike the Smiths. Strange, most people here adore them.
I love the Smiths as a four piece band, but I've only ever thought that Morrissey and Rourke were the talent. And I'll back Morrissey 100% which you'll see I've done consistently on a MORRISSEY fansite.

This is bad form on Johnny's part. Why couldn't he encourage them to do these shows and wish them luck.
Who or what would they be plundering. Andy had been involved but pulled out mysteriously. Is this the same Johnny that wanted to short change them in a huge way back in the day. They don't have to inform you if they know you'll say no. Bad form Johnny.

it ok for johnboy to put the boot in when hes got millions in the bank,least give the guys a few quid to secure their future,the gigs would have been well attended.dont even think M would have acted like this.

This is about Mike Joyce and Craig Gannon. Andy wasn't involved. You're mistaken if you think Morrissey wouldn't take the opportunity to insult Mike Joyce over this and Craig Gannon for that matter. They both sued the Smiths for money and won.

Marr is being petty here, those guys wanna make some money and if people had wanted to see this without him or Moz?
then that should’ve been it

I love the Smiths as a four piece band, but I've only ever thought that Morrissey and Rourke were the talent. And I'll back Morrissey 100% which you'll see I've done consistently on a MORRISSEY fansite.
I love Mozzer as well. But how on earth do you conceive that he and Rourke were the talents - and not Marr? Since Marr was the one who composed the songs we all love so much. This is baffling, but I am sure you have a completely sane explanation.

There is nothing to keep up with, I’m afraid. Actually, it seems I would have to slow down to an ignorant crawl to even understand how you can contradict yourself from one sentence to the next. Its OK, though, maybe if you use more quotation marks people won’t “notice”.
No, I just don't like you much, so my interactions with you are "civil" at best, though I do think you're a dick.

No, I just don't like you much, so my interactions with you are "civil" at best, though I do think you're a dick.

:rolleyes:
Thats mighty white of you to be SOOOOOOO Civil to Viva Hate.:smilecat:
doh:

Tags
classically smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom