Johnny Marr supports Morrissey over Kimmel / Duck Dynasty squabble

Dalfan sends the link:

Interview: Johnny Marr On ‘The Messenger,’ Morrissey & Writing For Teenagers - radio.com

Excerpt:

As most know, the early part of Marr’s career was spent accompanying Morrissey’s signature vocals with equally iconic guitar lines. These days, however, the two have been known to trade barbs. Despite this, Marr seemed to have Moz’s back when asked what he thought of his former bandmate’s recent drama with Jimmy Kimmel. The ardently anti-meat Moz canceled his appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! earlier this month because he would have been appearing alongside guests from the hunting reality show Duck Dynasty. Moz told Kimmel he’d appear if he ditched Duck Dynasty, a demand Marr – himself a vegan – told us sounded “reasonable.”

Last edited:
Obviously The Smiths are reuniting. Otherwise this would be totally irrelevant, wouldn't it.

Obviously The Smiths are reuniting. Otherwise this would be totally irrelevant, wouldn't it.

I fear you may be right. It does seem to me more likely now than ever. Morrissey has been touring in ridiculously small venues and there's only one real reason for that, and it isn't the love of it, while Marr's solo album came and went with a deserved whimper.

A Smiths reunion would be an horrendous error of judgement. I pray it doesn't happen.

I fear you may be right. It does seem to me more likely now than ever. Morrissey has been touring in ridiculously small venues and there's only one real reason for that, and it isn't the love of it, while Marr's solo album came and went with a deserved whimper.

A Smiths reunion would be an horrendous error of judgement. I pray it doesn't happen.

Well ... since Moz has announced his retirement from singing, due to ill health, I don't a reunion is in the frame, do you?

I think our friend ANON is joking.

I don't want to see a Smiths reunion either, but I don't see it happening.

Morrissey's tour (aside from the cancellations of course) was very successful. The medium size theaters were (mostly) perfect venues for him. It's silly to think because he's not filling stadiums he's not popular enough.

Well ... since Moz has announced his retirement from singing, due to ill health, I don't a reunion is in the frame, do you?

Wow. That's news to me, and everyone except you. Source please.

The criticism of Morrissey's playing smaller venues is ridiculous. Yes, there are many bands that can fill enormous stadiums,but their music is trivial. The masses generally prefer mediocrity; they are attracted to vapid, unintelligent music that is catchy but that does nothing to inspire thought or emotion. Morrissey has thankfully never been that type of artist, and playing smaller venues allows him to connect on a more personal level with his audience. I love the fact that so many of us can get close to him during the concert; if I want to see him from afar, I will watch a video on You-tube. Morrissey's interaction with his fans at concerts has been one of the crucial driving forces that has kept so many loyal to him over the years, sustaining the career of a brilliant man in an extremely shallow and fickle industry. I admire him because he writes like a poet; his lyrics contain the important elements of great literature: vivid imagery, intricate story-telling, thoughtful use of language, and the keen ability to articulate universal emotions in a way that truly moves his audience. If I wanted to follow someone who could fill a stadium with mindless dolts, I would be on the Coldplay fan site.

Actually, Morrissey does love performing in small venues. He prefers the intimacy of it.

The criticism of Morrissey's playing smaller venues is ridiculous. Yes, there are many bands that can fill enormous stadiums,but their music is trivial. The masses generally prefer mediocrity; they are attracted to vapid, unintelligent music that is catchy but that does nothing to inspire thought or emotion. Morrissey has thankfully never been that type of artist, and playing smaller venues allows him to connect on a more personal level with his audience. I love the fact that so many of us can get close to him during the concert; if I want to see him from afar, I will watch a video on You-tube. Morrissey's interaction with his fans at concerts has been one of the crucial driving forces that has kept so many loyal to him over the years, sustaining the career of a brilliant man in an extremely shallow and fickle industry. I admire him because he writes like a poet; his lyrics contain the important elements of great literature: vivid imagery, intricate story-telling, thoughtful use of language, and the keen ability to articulate universal emotions in a way that truly moves his audience. If I wanted to follow someone who could fill a stadium with mindless dolts, I would be on the Coldplay fan site.

Thank you, Anonymous, whoever you are. Well said and true. :thumb:

I've said it here hundreds of times and been ridiculed for it, but I still say it could happen, and I'll be at the ticket office when it opens.

P.

Last edited:
I love how out of the whole Johnny Marr interview they can't even get a fully functioning sentence to quote regarding Morrissey - just ONE single word: 'reasonable' - and yet somehow this throwaway comment becomes headline news on So Low.

I've said it here hundreds of times and been ridiculed for it, but I still say it could happen, and I'll be at the ticket office when it opens.

P.

I'll be real honest. I dont think it will happen but if it does, of course I will be first in line for tickets! Who am I kidden!:D

P.

I sure hope so and I hope Mike & Andy will be with them!

I'll be real honest. I dont think it will happen but if it does, of course I will be first in line for tickets! Who am I kidden!:D

Hahaha! We would all be online for tix!

I just dont think its the right move for Morrissey. I dint think he would do it, but if he did it would not end well I fear. I also want to keep my memory of the Smiths untainted.

I would love to see Moz come back with a kick ass solo record and his autobiography.......when hes ready. I feel he has another "comeback" in him!

Back
Top Bottom