Johnny Marr talks about the Smiths breakup in Rolling Stone Music Now podcast

It's a shame The Smiths will never reunite. They're getting up in age to where time is running out and they should reunite and do a grand worldwide farewell tour. I know the split had to do with Marr & Morrissey's creative differences, Andy's prior drug issues, Morrissey becoming a premadonna with his self proclaimed Elvis level of fame, and ultimately the lawsuit. I've spoken with some of Morrissey's current and former bandmates and they've all said it's Morrissey's show. If he's not in creative control and in control of everything else, he's besides himself.

Why shouldn't it be his show? It's always been his show. He's made it his show since the beginning. That's how he's gotten where he is. When you know you deserve and can command that level of power and authority, your choices are to be what you are or kowtow to the wishes of those with smaller intellects and compromise your vision. He's always avoided that. I say more power to him, regardless of whether you like his solo output or not. The guy does not suffer fools.

One thing that needs to happen for sure is Morrissey and Blue October going on tour together. Justin Furstenfeld is the version of Morrissey had he gotten married, had children, gotten a divorce, etc. I just met Boz before the Morrissey concert last November and asked if he had heard of Blue October and said that he did and loved Justin's admiration for Morrissey. I met Justin just a couple weeks ago and asked if he had tried to work with Morrissey for a tour and he said he had tried so many times but failed. It's sad Morrissey isolates himself so much from the world. I hope things change for the better soon .

Morrissey has never made a secret of any band/artist, current or past, whose work he adores. So I would say that if the Blue October guy has been shot down time and again, it's because Morrissey isn't feeling it. I would not call that "isolating himself from the world." I'd call it maintaining quality control.

You mean apart from being in the middle of a rapturously received tour promoting his highly-reviewed album Call the Comet? Releasing a new single "Spiral Cities" imminently, already getting BBC airplay? Having just received a Lifetime Achievement award from GQ? Releasing his signature Fender Jaguar in Lake Placid Blue this year?

Also it's his birthday today, be nice!
I want to like Call The Comet but the only song I like is Hi Hello which is a rip off of There Is A Light which is a rip off of a Patty Smith song. I think I just chewed on my own tail there.

I want to like Call The Comet but the only song I like is Hi Hello which is a rip off of There Is A Light which is a rip off of a Patty Smith song. I think I just chewed on my own tail there.

Which Patti Smith song, please?

That's cool, I tried to listen to LIHS and just could not get into it at all and I even owned 3 copies. At least we are listening and giving things a chance!

What about A Different Gun? That's my favorite from Call the Comet, it has a particularly beautiful vocal.

Dancing Barefoot from the album Wave. Incidentally the first words of the first song (Frederick) from that album is "Hi hello".

Thank you. I'm not familiar with Ms Smith's so I'll check it out.

It's a shame The Smiths will never reunite. They're getting up in age to where time is running out and they should reunite and do a grand worldwide farewell tour. I know the split had to do with Marr & Morrissey's creative differences, Andy's prior drug issues, Morrissey becoming a premadonna with his self proclaimed Elvis level of fame, and ultimately the lawsuit. I've spoken with some of Morrissey's current and former bandmates and they've all said it's Morrissey's show. If he's not in creative control and in control of everything else, he's besides himself.

I will say on the contrary, Morrissey has had a fantastic solo career and maybe it was a happy ending in disguise. Morrissey and Marr had outgrown The Smiths and had enough talent and material to start their own projects and so they did.

One thing that needs to happen for sure is Morrissey and Blue October going on tour together. Justin Furstenfeld is the version of Morrissey had he gotten married, had children, gotten a divorce, etc. I just met Boz before the Morrissey concert last November and asked if he had heard of Blue October and said that he did and loved Justin's admiration for Morrissey. I met Justin just a couple weeks ago and asked if he had tried to work with Morrissey for a tour and he said he had tried so many times but failed. It's sad Morrissey isolates himself so much from the world. I hope things change for the better soon .

It's prima donna not "premadonna" you dimwit.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom