"Johnny Marr tells us about his upcoming January album", louderthanwar.com

From louderthanwar.com :-

The coolest guitar player in town (when he is in town) and the walking rock n roll encyclopedia Johnny Marr dropped by to tell us about his upcoming album. We heard some of the songs when he headlined in Manchester a year ago at a great gig.

Johnny Marr gave us a brief comment on his new up coming album with 3 song titles and a release time, asking the guitarist last week on his new release he sent this;

The new record is under my own name as I hadn't decided on a final line up for the band whilst I was doing it. Also, it was feeling more like a personal venture. I recorded it in Manchester and Berlin. Some songs are : “The Right Thing Right”, “European Me”, “Lockdown”. It's out on Warner Brothers end of January.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Often wondered myself why Amy is so hard on Johnny whenever a posting comes up dealing with him . Just enjoy what he has given us over the years . All of us have bad days, months or even a bad year . We have the luxury of no one knowing of it but for the small group of friends/kin we are surrounded by.

Re: Article: "Johnny Marr tells us about his upcoming January album", louderthanwar.c

Often wondered myself why Amy is so hard on Johnny whenever a posting comes up dealing with him . Just enjoy what he has given us over the years . All of us have bad days, months or even a bad year . We have the luxury of no one knowing of it but for the small group of friends/kin we are surrounded by.

I'll try to answer this and the avatar thing together. I love Johnny for being the man behind the Smiths, as far as I'm concerned he was a genius in those days and his talent absolutely unparalleled. But that was then. Until this recent album, he hadn't done anything in the last 20+ years that I would bother listening to twice - he just became a sideman, marketing his own range of clothing/sunglasses/signature guitar etc to keep the money coming in. Johnny has coasted on past successes for the vast majority of his career and now that we're hearing truly exciting Smiths-esque stuff from him again, he's too stubborn to admit obvious weaknesses (his lyrics and singing) and look for an equal collaborator. Ultimately, I'm just happy that he's recording something new under his own wheels and not being a hired hand for another useless indie band:thumb:

Re: Article: "Johnny Marr tells us about his upcoming January album", louderthanwar.c

Why does Amy have a Marr avatar if she is so critical of Johnny? :squiffy:

I don't think even his most obsessive fan could deny that his singing voice and lyrical abilities aren't up to much. Then again...:cool:

You make valid points Amy. I understand n0w where the view you take comes from. I think of Marr's journey as him getting too anixous or russless with one group. Always wanting new vistas to explore. The Smiths just the first and best of the long road . Let's delight in the new stuff and hope its not a mirage !

I don't think even his most obsessive fan could deny that his singing voice and lyrical abilities aren't up to much. Then again...:cool:

Thanks for responding without becoming defensive. You really could have bitten back hard. And honestly, you don't need to explain yourself anyhow. I was just curious why you chose Johnny as your avatar if you weren't a sycophant. Most people who use Moz as theirs are obsessive sycophants--not all, I'm sure, but most. Maybe you are hopeful? Faithful that he still has his next masterpiece in him? I get that. :)

I'm not an obsessive by any means - his lyrics are piss-poor. However, I've never really understood the backlash against his singing voice. It's certainly no Morrissey, but it's not meant to be. I quite like it.

Thanks for responding without becoming defensive. You really could have bitten back hard. And honestly, you don't need to explain yourself anyhow. I was just curious why you chose Johnny as your avatar if you weren't a sycophant. Most people who use Moz as theirs are obsessive sycophants--not all, I'm sure, but most. Maybe you are hopeful? Faithful that he still has his next masterpiece in him? I get that. :)

'Sycophant' is one word I don't think anyone could use to describe me, I hope.

I'm not sure whether Moz or Johnny still have a 'masterpiece' in them, but I'm always hopeful. I think the trouble for each of them is finding someone else who can push their limits and keep them motivated. Morrissey's collection of writers don't seem much bothered about his "art" as long as they get paid, and I don't think Johnny wants to share songwriting duties now that he's finally got a solo deal. It's a strange situation.

I'm not an obsessive by any means - his lyrics are piss-poor. However, I've never really understood the backlash against his singing voice. It's certainly no Morrissey, but it's not meant to be. I quite like it.

His singing voice is... passable but very flat. Did you go to the Healers gigs last year? He definitely sounds better than he did on Boomslang, but that isn't saying a lot.

'Sycophant' is one word I don't think anyone could use to describe me, I hope.

Good to know. ;)

I'm not sure whether Moz or Johnny still have a 'masterpiece' in them, but I'm always hopeful. I think the trouble for each of them is finding someone else who can push their limits and keep them motivated. Morrissey's collection of writers don't seem much bothered about his "art" as long as they get paid, and I don't think Johnny wants to share songwriting duties now that he's finally got a solo deal. It's a strange situation.

Very nicely stated. :)

Back
Top Bottom