Johnny Marr tweets response to Smiths reunion rumours

Link via @ordinaryboy86:

Johnny Marr scotches Smiths reunion rumours: 'Nigel Farage on guitar'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...smiths-reunion-rumours-nigel-farage-on-guitar

Johnny Marr responds to Smiths reunion rumours with swipe at Morrissey's political stance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...n-morrissey-nigel-farage-guitar-a9189001.html

"Nigel Farage on guitar": Johnny Marr responds to The Smiths reunion rumours

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/the-smiths/johnny-marr-responds-reunion-rumours-nigel-farage/

Johnny Marr has quashed rumours The Smiths are set to reunite

http://www.music-news.com/news/UK/1...quashed-rumours-The-Smiths-are-set-to-reunite

Johnny Marr commnets on rumours of The Smiths reunion with right-wing Morrissey jibe

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-reunion-morrissey-johnny-marr/

Johnny Marr Shoots Down Rumors of a Smiths Reunion with Morrissey

http://floodmagazine.com/71141/johnny-marr-shoots-down-rumors-of-a-smiths-reunion-with-morrissey/

Johnny Marr breaks silence on Smiths reunion rumours with Nigel Farage jibe

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-breaks-silence-smiths-17216239.amp

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of you are are in denial. You can't save the reputation of The Smiths (the only thing Marr has any type of fame for) if Morrissey becomes a hated pariah. Eventually no one alive will remember that anyone ever thought well of him, so why would they think well of the band he wrote the lyrics for? They'll be the lyrics a racist wrote.

If you like The Smiths & Marr, you should want Morrissey to get out of this, one way or another.

Time will tell.

Eric Clapton made much worse racist comments during a live gig in the late 70’s; Bowie made nazi salutes & made favourable comments about fascism.

Their music is what people remember.

yeah, but we live in a very different world now. People can’t get away with that behavior any longer, nor should they. Bottom line is people are holding Morrissey accountable because what he chose to put out in the world is unacceptable. No rational person can truly deny that. As a result, we have certain users on here feeling empowered to be openly racist and hateful on a regular basis. Morrissey started this, he did this, and f*** him for that! Morrissey has gone down the wrong path, and it’s sad all around. At this rate, his legacy will be the “ disgraced former Smiths singer”.

Mr Trump ... Bowie gave no Nazi salute. The photo in question caught him mid-wave This guff was debunked quite some time ago.

Strange that you should defend Morrissey by alluding to misrepresentation of fact.

Secondly, if it were true that Bowie gave a Nazi salute (whuch he did not) you are adding fuel to the Morrissey far-right fire. Had you but thought for the merest of seconds you could have avoided looking so foolish.
Bowie was caught on film doing it. vile.

Because neither the guitar player, drummer or bass player were racist and should not be tarnished by association with the singers singular, personal views.
None of the three have ever said anything remarkable to warrant any debate or interest in them outside of being members of The Smiths. Morrissey certainly isn't dull not is he racist, but I do agree he should stop talking politics and winding people up. There are idiots out there who take everything he says literally, at face value , out of context and interpreted by the MSM, they who love to have a "villain" to sell their headlines for them.
As for the twitter twits .....do any of the Khardasians have an opinion, we haven't heard from them yet.

I'm afraid you speak with conviction about matters you know little about. "That's how fame works". Fame works how you see it does it? Well, no. Fame is a fickle thing and is significantly more complex than your naivety. Morrissey did give The Smiths a unique identity with his looks and his lyrics - also how he sang. None of that would have occured without the music of Johnny Marr. Johnny Marr was the sound of the Smiths - he was the one in the studio perfecting the music and vocals with the producers. Yeah, nobody remembers the intro to How Soon Is Now. I mean nobody wants to hear it. Is that why Morrissey has played it live at just about every show since 2004!?

You also seem to fail to understand that some of the worlds most well know 'stars' who sing are also musicians. They write the songs they sing. To you that is unimportant. How would you describe Bowie? He wrote his songs, sung them and was also very much involved in the studio production. Do you just reduce him and those like him to singer?

I'm in PR, I absolutely know how fame works. It's fickle & it can land on unlikely people. But if Marr was my client, I know I'm selling The Smiths & some angle related to Morrissey. The audience for his guitar skills is there, but it's niche. Whereas with Morrissey I would be selling Morrissey & it wouldn't matter if he was loved, hated or ridiculed, selling well or badly, he'd be the centre of the story.

Moz knows how fickle it all is too:

The teenagers
Who love you
They will wake up, yawn and kill you

The critics who
Can't break you
Unwittingly they make you

He knows how it all works.

Moz knows how fickle it all is too:

The teenagers
Who love you
They will wake up, yawn and kill you

The critics who
Can't break you
Unwittingly they make you

He knows how it all works.

He does! But he can't make himself comply with it.

I'm in PR, I absolutely know how fame works. It's fickle & it can land on unlikely people. But if Marr was my client, I know I'm selling The Smiths & some angle related to Morrissey. The audience for his guitar skills is there, but it's niche. Whereas with Morrissey I would be selling Morrissey & it wouldn't matter if he was loved, hated or ridiculed, selling well or badly, he'd be the centre of the story.

Skinny, why dont just say you are in nuclear fission?

yeah, but we live in a very different world now. People can’t get away with that behavior any longer, nor should they. Bottom line is people are holding Morrissey accountable because what he chose to put out in the world is unacceptable. No rational person can truly deny that. As a result, we have certain users on here feeling empowered to be openly racist and hateful on a regular basis. Morrissey started this, he did this, and f*** him for that! Morrissey has gone down the wrong path, and it’s sad all around. At this rate, his legacy will be the “ disgraced former Smiths singer”.

A Crumb of Skinny.

I think a lot of you are are in denial. You can't save the reputation of The Smiths (the only thing Marr has any type of fame for) if Morrissey becomes a hated pariah. Eventually no one alive will remember that anyone ever thought well of him, so why would they think well of the band he wrote the lyrics for? They'll be the lyrics a racist wrote.

If you like The Smiths & Marr, you should want Morrissey to get out of this, one way or another.

Skinny now you are giving trolling advice?

None of the three have ever said anything remarkable to warrant any debate or interest in them outside of being members of The Smiths. Morrissey certainly isn't dull not [sic] is he racist, but I do agree he should stop talking politics and winding people up. There are idiots out there who take everything he says literally, at face value , out of context and interpreted by the MSM, they who love to have a "villain" to sell their headlines for them..

*nor

This is true, but like you say, it gives them headlines to use ...for years and years and years they drone on - one example being, the 'subspecies' one is almost 10 years old, and still it gets replayed.
No-one wants to know the context in which it might have been said or intended...their view is, it was in The Guardian, Independent, or some other blurt-rag, so it must be true.
People are just fickle & thick at times.
The press play the same 'twisted-out-of-context' game with whatever they're reporting on, doesn't matter if it's a politician, Brexit, some disaster somewhere, or music artist, so long as they get clicks with the story then their job is done, mission accomplished.

It is the wrong path, but we're quietly losing a lot of unlikely people down it. I know a lot of gay men think that if it came to a clash between them & something Muslim activists wanted that we'd chuck them under the bus. In the wake of Charlie Hebdo it was a real mistake to prosecute people for criticising Islam. It's created this false impression that liberals will do anything to appease fundamentalists.

Skinny, why dont just say you are in nuclear fission?

It's a completely normal profession. We're in every large company. There's a wide variety of agencies, from big & posh to local & scrappy. There's freelancers. You can hire us to do a few tweets or a huge campaign. I've done stuff for a cutlery factory, a Railway company, a local council, run Twitter accounts, put posters in cafes & shops... it's an ordinary job.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom