Johnny Marr wins lifetime achievement award - GQ magazine

44217_44216_1920.jpeg

Johnny Marr - Lifetime Achievement.

"As one of the founding members of The Smiths, Johnny Marr was responsible for reinventing guitar music for a new generation. And since then, it’s perhaps easier to list the artists he hasn’t collaborated with rather than the ones he has – no joke, there’s an entire Wikipedia page devoted to it, from Bryan Ferry to Paul McCartney, Talking Heads to The Pet Shop Boys."

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/gq-awards-2018-winners

2.38372256.jpg

Johnny Marr vows to never retire as he picks up GQ Award.

"The former Smiths guitarist said it would be a waste of his famous haircut if he were to call it a day in the music industry."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-vows-never-retire-15117215.amp?

Regards,
FWD.

UPDATE Sep. 7:

Video of acceptance speech posted by Zoinks:

He did thank the other Smiths. To be fair, I think if he mentioned Morrissey by name in this crowd, it might have gotten some boos.

Boy, does Kylie seem to really like him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting back to basics listening to Indie from the 80's 'now that the Smiths have split
Geoff Travis says we could be it' Pooh Sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That broody photo of Marr sitting beside the guitar makes me think he wouldn't look out of place skulking in a cobwebbed corner of a secluded studio recording Disintegration 2 with Robert Smith. Let's get a petition started to get Johnny invited to The Cure recording sessions currently happening.
Oh please, go back to you Cure bullshits nonsense, Robert Smith is a big turd. He recently said in a Meltdown interview on youtube that he's leaving a normal life. What a moron ! If selling out 3 stadiums of 80,000 in a row in Mexico like he did a few years ago is normal, then what are the normal things? His keyboardist Roger O'Donnell drives a red Ferrari, is interviewed in posh Ferrari magazine and attends grand prix of Formule 1 at a Ferrari stand.

I reckon John Maher's all "dude, I need to get back home to Portland, Oregon and GQ Brittin wouldn't even pay for a first class flight and shoot some hoops in my backyard basketball court because when I go down to LA and play Steve in the Nike 1:1 B-Ball Championship at the Venice Beach courts, he is going to kick my ass bro.

Steve Wiltern.jpg

Where is Morrisseys? (Correct me if he has one) Or even Alain Whyte?

Johhny played and composed guitar very well, but I think we all know who contributed the most to The Smiths. Maybe Johhny should get a backstabber award?

Johhny played and composed guitar very well, but I think we all know who contributed the most to The Smiths. Maybe Johhny should get a backstabber award?[/QUOTE]

The first comment on the thread and just look at the bitterness. Imagine being the sort of person that feels the need to write this, let alone actually write it .

A friend of mine said this about the Smiths and Johnny , I agree 100%
" The singer usually goes on to more success than the music people in the background, thats expected but the guitar players rarely go on to have a career like Marr's.
Marr is respected around the world and can write , play music , sing, produce and has now done it all to great acclaim. He is quite obviously the backbone and brains behind the smiths. That is not meant to belittle M, who was the spirit , the wit and imagination and heart. It was Morrisseys world but his world delivered by Marr. Marr who got the band together, Marr who rescued Morrissey from being a bedroom hostage. Marr who stayed in the studio making sure things were done, Marr who booked vans, paid bills and was the "go to " person. Mostly it was Marr who was M's greatest muse . Watch him in interviews with Johnny, watch him on stage with Johnny , watch and listen to him sing to Johnnys music . There hasn't been one person to light his fire like that since, at least not musically speaking. In since Jesse appeared M has looked bored at lots of gigs, his writing and vocal lines haven't quite had the same motivation as in the Smiths with Johnny or even with Alain. Lots of of records that have been successful for M have been ones where musically they ape Johnny's writing , even Alain admitted when he wrote a song for M, he would go off and do something Smithy"

I copy and pasted this as for me Johnny deserves his award, if only for giving the world Morrissey

Marr is the only dignified member of The Smiths that is left.

Morrissey has become an ordinary boy.

Time opens all wounds.

I copy and pasted this as for me Johnny deserves his award, if only for giving the world Morrissey

Ditto, that’s a wonderful statement

The Morrissey cult is so traumatized by the backlash against him that they've taken to attacking Marr simply for being the classy one.

It's like watching derelicts rooting for the bad guy. Pathetic.

Whenever Johnny is in the News it's for something positive. Whenever Moz is in the news it is for something negative. Most of which Moz brings on himself. Fair dues to Johnny.
Mr Nice Guy plays the game well. Morrissey is honest, and that’s the last thing people want :rock:

A friend of mine said this about the Smiths and Johnny , I agree 100%
" The singer usually goes on to more success than the music people in the background, thats expected but the guitar players rarely go on to have a career like Marr's.
Marr is respected around the world and can write , play music , sing, produce and has now done it all to great acclaim. He is quite obviously the backbone and brains behind the smiths. That is not meant to belittle M, who was the spirit , the wit and imagination and heart. It was Morrisseys world but his world delivered by Marr. Marr who got the band together, Marr who rescued Morrissey from being a bedroom hostage. Marr who stayed in the studio making sure things were done, Marr who booked vans, paid bills and was the "go to " person. Mostly it was Marr who was M's greatest muse . Watch him in interviews with Johnny, watch him on stage with Johnny , watch and listen to him sing to Johnnys music . There hasn't been one person to light his fire like that since, at least not musically speaking. In since Jesse appeared M has looked bored at lots of gigs, his writing and vocal lines haven't quite had the same motivation as in the Smiths with Johnny or even with Alain. Lots of of records that have been successful for M have been ones where musically they ape Johnny's writing , even Alain admitted when he wrote a song for M, he would go off and do something Smithy"

I had to pick one rating, but I wish I could've rated your post: Like, Interesting, Insightful and Informative.

Mr Nice Guy plays the game well. Morrissey is honest, and that’s the last thing people want :rock:

"Honest" as in that time he denied saying controversial things in an interview and the interviewer produced a tape as proof he actually said those things. Morrissey has always been an embellisher of the truth. Honesty is not important to him.

Before Johnny gets too excited GQ also announced David Lammy as politician of the year and he thinks Henry VII succeeded Henry VIII.

Quite. A man who thinks it's ok to play politics with the Grenfell tragedy. He's a total slime-ball. Politician of the year?

Marr who stayed in the studio making sure things were done, Marr who booked vans, paid bills and was the "go to " person.

Marr was many things but he wasn't THE "go to" person. At least not for Rough Trade. Geoff Travis admitted as much. He said he mostly dealt with Moz and that he regrets that now. Even Johnny Marr said that many things, like tours, were planed and overseen by Moz.

"Honest" as in that time he denied saying controversial things in an interview and the interviewer produced a tape as proof he actually said those things. Morrissey has always been an embellisher of the truth. Honesty is not important to him.

Or, when he claimed he was held at gunpoint and 100 people witnessed it, yet in the digital age there wasn't a single photo or any video of the event?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...as-held-at-gunpoint-by-police-officer-in-rome

Quite. A man who thinks it's ok to play politics with the Grenfell tragedy. He's a total slime-ball. Politician of the year?

Like Marr said, he can regard it as a pat on the back and as a sign that people are saying 'we like you'.
Likewise Prince charlie.
Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Don't it.

Marr was many things but he wasn't THE "go to" person. At least not for Rough Trade. Geoff Travis admitted as much. He said he mostly dealt with Moz and that he regrets that now. Even Johnny Marr said that many things, like tours, were planed and overseen by Moz.

By planned and overseen - do you mean bungled and cancelled?

Johnny Marr's introduction in Autobiography is nothing short of hallowed. This will never be said about Jesse:

"I am shaken when I hear Johnny play guitar, because he is quite obviously gifted and almost unnaturally multi-talented. Since he shows an exact perspective on all things, I can't help but wonder, what is he doing here with me? Why has Johnny not already sprayed his mark - elsewhere, with others less scarred and less complicated than I am? It seemed to me that Johnny had enough spark and determination to push his way in amongst Manchester's headhunters - yet here he was, with someone whose natural bearing discouraged openness."

It certainly wasn’t the eyebrows that won it for him. Whoever drew those on him had a bad case of the shakes :eyes::eyes::eyes:

True. They also covered up that ridiculous TaT on his neck as if it didnt exist.o_O
From :oldman: to:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: equals GQ:trophy:!!!

I see Prince Charles won the HRH The Prince of Wales -Editor's Lifetime Achievement Award For Services To Philanthropy at the same shindig. Oh dear.

And Rita Ora got her breasts out in her outfit or something. Sounds a classy night

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom