Johnny Marr wins lifetime achievement award - GQ magazine

44217_44216_1920.jpeg

Johnny Marr - Lifetime Achievement.

"As one of the founding members of The Smiths, Johnny Marr was responsible for reinventing guitar music for a new generation. And since then, it’s perhaps easier to list the artists he hasn’t collaborated with rather than the ones he has – no joke, there’s an entire Wikipedia page devoted to it, from Bryan Ferry to Paul McCartney, Talking Heads to The Pet Shop Boys."

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/gallery/gq-awards-2018-winners

2.38372256.jpg

Johnny Marr vows to never retire as he picks up GQ Award.

"The former Smiths guitarist said it would be a waste of his famous haircut if he were to call it a day in the music industry."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/johnny-marr-vows-never-retire-15117215.amp?

Regards,
FWD.

UPDATE Sep. 7:

Video of acceptance speech posted by Zoinks:

He did thank the other Smiths. To be fair, I think if he mentioned Morrissey by name in this crowd, it might have gotten some boos.

Boy, does Kylie seem to really like him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe on boomslang. I’m aware of his collaborations and I’m a fan of his but it, the paragraph, felt like the it was reaching. Mentioning McCartney says t me maybe the person who wrote it doesn’t know his collaborative work very well

Yes, I see, but McCartney is such a big name. Johnny did play at the Concert for Linda McCartney with Chrissie Hynde and Marianne Faithfull.

Yes, I see, but McCartney is such a big name. Johnny did play at the Concert for Linda McCartney with Chrissie Hynde and Marianne Faithfull.

Yes a big name he did not collaborate with. Might as well thrown out every big name he’s ever had a conversation with

Id give DramaJ some grief about the leather jacket, like the haters give Moz, but then realized its rented, for the event. Same as that shiny wool suit. GQ paid for it since down on his luck DramaJ has been low on funds since the disastrous CALL THE COMET:drama: CD release. Nobody bought because they heard the clips and thought it was chinese music:china:

I'm not a vegan myself, but I'd happily shame Johnny for being a fake one :swear...I'm big on shaming peeps on da net.
Only I can't, because I'm totally distracted by his nicely buttoned shirt.

And the fact that Kylie doesn't seem to mind being next to someone who's bound to attract comets, which could be a bit dangerous.
Look at her. Doesn't look worried at all. Doesn't even care that he sings in Chinese.

Isn't life terribly unfair?!

I don't think there's room in an article for all he's done. It really boggles the mind how much amazing music this man has made in his solo career and his bands the Smiths, Electronic, the The, Modest Mouse and the Cribs.

Here's the Wikipedia page on his collaborations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Marr_guest_musician_recordings

He's worked as a producer for Marion and Haven, that's not on this list.

Also not mentioned are the musicians he's played with on stage: REM, Paul Weller, Nile Rodgers, Ron Wood, Last Shadow Puppets, Broken Social Scene, etc. etc.

For people to say he's done nothing since the Smiths is just plain ignorant! There are also his book, his signature Jaguar guitar and he does speaking engagements. His work ethic and creativity are incredible.

Few have composed as much gorgeous music as Marr. I’m glad he won. Well deserved, to say the least.

I absolutely agree, although I think it is fair to say his output dipped after 23rd August 1987. I think it’s a shame he didn’t have the courage to launch his solo career quickly after The Smiths. I wonder if he regrets that now? He has a decent if unremarkable voice which could have been developed earlier.

Had he done so rather than wait a couple of decades we might have seen him grow as an artist. As it is I wouldn’t rate too much of his post Smiths stuff. A couple of middling Electronic singles isn’t much of a return for a man who is without doubt in my opinion the greatest guitarist of his generation.

I’ve changed my mind about the Smiths in recent years. Morrissey & Marr drove the band, but Morrissey’s unique voice and lyrics gave it the real impetus, as proved by his largely successful solo career.

It seems it is easier for a great lyricist to find a guitarist than it is for a great guitarist to find a lyricist.

I'm glad for him!! Always good to be recognised with an award. No that he needs it anyway! However, it would have been even better if it was coming from a music magazine or Brit Awards, Grammy or any other music award institution.

Yes Rolling Stone Magazine is removing The Queen is Dead from its greatest albums ever list and replacing it with World Peace is None of Your Business. The only scandal here is what took them so long to see the umm...genius...of the album

Well deserved award for a wonderful man. And doesn't he look fantastic?

Another user here - I can't remember exactly who, forgive me - said something a while back along the lines of, "Johnny Marr could go on a murder spree and release nothing good for the rest of his life, and he'd still be a guitar god." Exactly that. :guitar:

I absolutely agree, although I think it is fair to say his output dipped after 23rd August 1987. I think it’s a shame he didn’t have the courage to launch his solo career quickly after The Smiths. I wonder if he regrets that now? He has a decent if unremarkable voice which could have been developed earlier.

Had he done so rather than wait a couple of decades we might have seen him grow as an artist. As it is I wouldn’t rate too much of his post Smiths stuff. A couple of middling Electronic singles isn’t much of a return for a man who is without doubt in my opinion the greatest guitarist of his generation.

It would have been awesome if he launched his solo career after the first Electronic album (but still did the occasional collaboration). However, after reading "Set the Boy Free," it's clear he never wanted to be a frontman. I guess after the burnout he felt after The Smiths, the idea of being the main guy responsible for everything just did not appeal to him.

It would have been awesome if he launched his solo career after the first Electronic album (but still did the occasional collaboration). However, after reading "Set the Boy Free," it's clear he never wanted to be a frontman. I guess after the burnout he felt after The Smiths, the idea of being the main guy responsible for everything just did not appeal to him.

I wish he'd started more projects like electronic meaning him and a frontman creating original music. When you join something established like the talking heads for a min it's hard to see what he's contributing and to give him appropriate credit. Probably a blast but it doesn't feel like he's expressing himself as a songwriter in those collaborations

As one of the founding members of The Smiths, Johnny Marr has worked with Paul McCartney – no joke, there’s an entire Wikipedia page devoted to his collaborations.

God, please save us! When a journalist who lies from GQ cites as the ultimate source for information, without double checking the facts first, we know what it means. Hang the writer !

That broody photo of Marr sitting beside the guitar makes me think he wouldn't look out of place skulking in a cobwebbed corner of a secluded studio recording Disintegration 2 with Robert Smith. Let's get a petition started to get Johnny invited to The Cure recording sessions currently happening.
That would be a weird, weird collaboration, since the Cure have always struck me as a layering of simple parts to create a subtle and complex whole. That would be like having Les Claypool join New Order.

Maybe on boomslang. I’m aware of his collaborations and I’m a fan of his but it, the paragraph, felt like the it was reaching. Mentioning McCartney says t me maybe the person who wrote it doesn’t know his collaborative work very well

From what I've read, Paul McCartney was looking for a guitar player and was interested in Johnny. It was an audition as well as a jam. Maybe Johnny reminded Paul of young Jimmy McCulloch. For whatever reason, McCartney settled on Robbie McIntosh - who coincidentally Johnny replaced in the Pretenders.

On one hand, I can see it would have been a career-stifling move for Johnny. But one wonders what a McCartney-Marr composition would have been like.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom