Johnny Marr with Dinosaur Jr playing "The Boy With The Thorn..."; other news

Re: Johnny Marr with Dinosaur Jr playing "The boy with the thorn..." and "The Wagon"

Dinosaur Jr? Seriously? I suppose it is his own (half)legacy to piss on, so who am I to judge, other than a human with a fully functioning sense of hearing? And hey, at least J. Mascis sure ain't no crooner...:rolleyes:

Re: Article: Johnny Marr with Dinosaur Jr playing "The Boy With The Thorn..."; other

The drummer doesn't have a clue.

He's the guy principally responsible for raping that song (the bassist isn't much help either).

The best bit is that in the middle when it all starts to fall apart, you can see Johnny panicking a bit and thinking, "Shit, I've got to keep this together because if I stop playing for a split second it will be unrecognisable".

And what is that tosser on the far right actually doing? Because he's not "playing" that guitar, he's just staggering about and massaging his knees with it.

Re: Article: Johnny Marr with Dinosaur Jr playing "The Boy With The Thorn..."; other

The drummer is undeniably shite here - it sounds like a carcrash. I'm presuming this was an unrehearsed last minute thing (it sure as f*** sounds like it), but the drummer can't even stay in time for more than about 3 seconds. Pitiful.

Show some respect for legendary Dale and the mighty Melvins, you Anonomous creep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlKs5_gABsI

Did he even bother to listen/review the song before "performing" it? Sure doesn't seem like it.

If that lousy drummer is (in your apparently warped mind) "legendary" then you're pretty much admitting that you don't know anything about music.

Your opinion is officially VOID.

That was truly awful, I couldn't get a third of the way thru

Schnabster is just a troll from themelvins.net forum site. I don't like the drummer in this video either.

Schnabster is just a troll from themelvins.net forum site. I don't like the drummer in this video either.

Well, not exactly a troll... he/she seems like a good enough person expressing their opinions.

The Melvins (and, of course, J Mascis) have certainly earned their place in the history books. This performance just comes off as a bit under-rehearsed by a strange mix of musicians. It's also not the best recording ever, so perhaps it sounded really amazing if you were there in person.

Harsh Truth I think your correct. The combo of rehearsal (lack of) and odd players makes Johnny scramble just to keep the song from sinking into a sea of thrash .

By the way King Buzzo rules!

Harsh Truth I think your correct. The combo of rehearsal (lack of) and odd players makes Johnny scramble just to keep the song from sinking into a sea of thrash .

By the way King Buzzo rules!

Dinosour Jr was an indie band, or as in the USA 'collage' band

Like Morrissey they never make the hitlist with singles, but only albums

Their songs only on alternative channels

I woud be glad if Morrissey varies with support acts, like Johnny does with
his carreer,no strings:lbf: attached, just take what he liked what Marr gets asked to
do as session, or doing some gigs with another band, artist.

Surely he has his own band/project, ...and the new single is really OK

I like the way Marr has slightly restructured bits and pieces of Smiths songs with this and "Please, Please, Please...", however, there is no excuse for him to keep hitting that same bum note every single time.

350x438px-LL-9eaf3656_son-i-am-disappoint-original.gif

I like the way Marr has slightly restructured bits and pieces of Smiths songs with this and "Please, Please, Please...", however, there is no excuse for him to keep hitting that same bum note every single time.

350x438px-LL-9eaf3656_son-i-am-disappoint-original.gif

You didn't like Please Please...?

Here's New Town Velocity, Viva. Thoughts?

I think it's the most boring thing I've ever heard :straightface:

Last edited by a moderator:

You didn't like Please Please...?

Oh, no...that isn't what I meant...I loved the new versions of 'Boy With The Thorn...' and 'Please, Please, Please...' sans vocals. They are definitely how I'd prefer to hear the songs done live nowadays.

What bothered me was that Johnny sounds like he's hitting a bum note every time he plays the chorus on 'Boy With The Thorn...'

It thoroughly angers me. Why? Because I hear potential in it...and all Johnny manages to do on his own is make it meander for minutes on end and castrate what magic is there with his vocals and lyrics. I'm sure that will be the case with the rest of his solo album as well.

I can't think of any two people in music who need each other more than Morrissey and Marr.

Morrissey needs inspiration. Three minute garage band rock just isn't going to cut it anymore. He needs Marr's music to give him back some subtlety and dignity.
Marr needs Morrissey to regulate his output...to force him to restructure songs and come up with better vocal melodies.

It is endlessly sad to know that their stubbornness to admit they were best when with each other is going to deprive fans of what could be some amazing music.

Morrissey needs inspiration. Three minute garage band rock just isn't going to cut it anymore. He needs Marr's music to give him back some subtlety and dignity.
Marr needs Morrissey to regulate his output...to force him to restructure songs and come up with better vocal melodies.

It is endlessly sad to know that their stubbornness to admit they were best when with each other is going to deprive fans of what could be some amazing music.

Amen!

I quite like it, but what the hell is that random buzzing guitar note doing in the chorus? I know it's just a session track, but it sounds like a f*** up - eg: the riff at 1:50-1:52 there's this weird discordant high guitar note behind the descending riff that sounds like an unintentionally buzzing guitar string that has nothing to do with the riff itself. It's very distracting- please tell me that's not deliberate.

I quite like it, but what the hell is that random buzzing guitar note doing in the chorus? I know it's just a session track, but it sounds like a f*** up - eg: the riff at 1:50-1:52 there's this weird discordant high guitar note behind the descending riff that sounds like an unintentionally buzzing guitar string that has nothing to do with the riff itself. It's very distracting- please tell me that's not deliberate.

I'm hoping it's not deliberate, also!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom