Johnny Marr's fantasy super group line-up - NME

Couldn't have said it better myself..

Drums: Stephen Morris, Joy Division/New Order
“He invented a way of playing the drums that has been a bedrock of really great music ever since. People don’t realise this, but no one actually played the drums like that before Stephen came along.”

Your Fantasy Supergroup Line-Up? - NME.com

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr

Singer: Ray Davies, The Kinks

“For his words, but also his voice. He doesn’t croon, and I can’t stand crooning. His singing style is close to talking, and like [Buzzcocks’] Pete Shelley, you can hear the real person there when he sings. Less is more, and I love that.”

Rhythm guitar: Sterling Morrison, The Velvet Underground
“Just because he played like a machine, but a sexy machine that didn’t want too much of the spotlight. That’s the perfect criteria for a rhythm guitarist – or for a musician full-stop.”

Bass: Tina Weymouth, Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club
“She’s a musician who absolutely listens to what’s going on, and is totally unencumbered by macho showing off. I think there are lots of great female bassists for that reason, such as Kim Deal and Kim Gordon.”

Drums: Stephen Morris, Joy Division/New Order
“He invented a way of playing the drums that has been a bedrock of really great music ever since. People don’t realise this, but no one actually played the drums like that before Stephen came along.”

Lead guitar: Johnny Marr.
“Well it’s my band, so why shouldn’t I play in it? Those jingle-jangles aren’t going to write themselves you know! Oh, and by the way, our band would definitely be produced by Nile Rodgers.”

Band name: Marr’s Attacks

Last edited by a moderator:
“For his words, but also his voice. He doesn’t croon, and I can’t stand crooning...”

Sorry Morrissey.

Last edited:
F/O johnny Marr. This guy has had nowhere close to the success of Moz. The Smith's ain't getting back together and sorry, the world is a better place for it. It was a time and place that is now over. If you were too young to experience it, then buy all the tracks and listen now. Also, there is a thing called "video." Good luck to Johnny with his solo career, he'll need it.

Johnny on singing ~ “ Less is more, and I love that.”

Yeah, we've heard the new single; we guessed that :rolleyes:

Yes, a bit of a dig from Johnny there. Morrissey will certainly take that personally. Seems a little uncalled for... I wonder what brought it on?

The last fresh comment I remember Marr saying about Morrissey was that they were very different types. Marr may have wanted to reform The Smiths, for the fans, but he realized Morrissey holds all the power and isn't interested.

Speaking of Johnny's new single, I find it funny that this fluff piece makes it to the front page, while Johnny's single, which has been up on youtube for 3 days now and has garnered 80 thousand views, does not.

Weird priorities at this place.

“For his words, but also his voice. He doesn’t croon, and I can’t stand crooning...”

Wow - this could be the nastiest thing Marr has ever said about Morrissey (the ultimate crooner).
If he hates Morrissey's style of singing so much, why does he perform live so many of his songs that Morrissey sang in the first place?
He could choose from the tons of songs he wrote for others (McColl, Bragg, Sumners etc) that weren't ruined by crooning.
Marr tries to come across as a down-to-earth lovable kinda guy but he can be such a nasty bitch.

Yes, a bit of a dig from Johnny there. Morrissey will certainly take that personally. Seems a little uncalled for... I wonder what brought it on?

Meanwhile Moz can be demeaning to the other Smiths all he wants?

The guy dismisses them like they were positively nothing.

He says they aren't friends. They're strangers (after all those experiences they shared, all that great music they made together etc.). I understanding not liking Mike Joyce but to just summarily erasing the monumental importance of Johnny Marr with a flick of the hand is understandably offensive.

Johnny can take any shot he wants at Morrissey (if, in fact, that's what he might have intentionally done with his "super-group").

Gee.... has Marr ever said Moz was a crooner ? Johnny has stated his love of Moz many times . So he can not like other singers ? Did you just want him to say The Smiths when asked for a group . This is FANTASY ....... asking him to name people he never worked with before . It is wat sells . Very boring to just keep saying Moz, Andy and Mike are his super group.
I liked the article , good fun stuff to see who Johnny likes .

Gee.... has Marr ever said Moz was a crooner ? Johnny has stated his love of Moz many times . So he can not like other singers ? Did you just want him to say The Smiths when asked for a group . This is FANTASY ....... asking him to name people he never worked with before . It is wat sells . Very boring to just keep saying Moz, Andy and Mike are his super group.
I liked the article , good fun stuff to see who Johnny likes .

Moz croons on occasion (ex. Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning), but I wouldn't classify him as a 'crooner'. Crooning is a style of singing, popularized by jazz vocalists like Frank Sinatra, where they sing very softly (almost at a whisper) into the microphone.

I like the article too.

Wow - this could be the nastiest thing Marr has ever said about Morrissey (the ultimate crooner).
If he hates Morrissey's style of singing so much, why does he perform live so many of his songs that Morrissey sang in the first place?
He could choose from the tons of songs he wrote for others (McColl, Bragg, Sumners etc) that weren't ruined by crooning.
Marr tries to come across as a down-to-earth lovable kinda guy but he can be such a nasty bitch.

Totally unlike Morrissey, of course.

P.

P.

Very true, of course. Morrissey can be the bitchiest of the bitches as we know - but we expect it from him and I don't recall him ever aiming criticism at Johnny's solo career. And likewise Johnny hasn't really openly criticised Morrissey solo since the ill-considered remarks of the early Electronic days. So I do find this quite odd and very interesting. It just seems so snidey and underhand.

I mean, I daresay he wasn't complaining when Moz was crooning all over “Last Night I Dreamt...”, for instance. But seriously there's no way he can't expect Morrissey not to take this remark personally. It's like he's slipped out a jibe but without having the guts to openly mention Morrissey by name. I wonder if it's got something do with the "To Give (Is the Reason I Live)" cover.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if and how Morrissey responds. I hope it inspires him to write a really great nasty lyric...

P.

The difference being that a) Morrissey has a reputation for being bitchy and unpleasant and b) he has only ever said positive things about Marr (like dedicating his Ivor Novello award to him, saying how pleased he was at Marr's Modest Mouse success etc).
Marr, conversely,passes himself off as a down-to-earth, likeable kinda guy yet comes out with some really nasty (if thinly veiled) comments about Morrissey.

Johnny on singing ~ “ Less is more, and I love that.”

Yeah, we've heard the new single; we guessed that :rolleyes:

I've nothing against Johnny, except that he does seem to take himself very seriously. In that dreadful video, he looks like an elf in a really bad mood, stomping around the enchanted wood. The song's pretty average too, but I'm sure he's surrounded by people telling him how brilliant he is every time he farts.

The difference being that a) Morrissey has a reputation for being bitchy and unpleasant and b) he has only ever said positive things about Marr (like dedicating his Ivor Novello award to him, saying how pleased he was at Marr's Modest Mouse success etc).
Marr, conversely,passes himself off as a down-to-earth, likeable kinda guy yet comes out with some really nasty (if thinly veiled) comments about Morrissey.

Well, there's a difference betweeen NOT saying something about someone, as in this instance, and actually saying what you call 'some really nasty (if thinly veiled) comments about Morrissey' - maybe you could give some examples?

P.

....But seriously there's no way he can't expect Morrissey not to take this remark personally. It's like he's slipped out a jibe but without having the guts to openly mention Morrissey by name. I wonder if it's got something do with the "To Give (Is the Reason I Live)" cover.

I don't think Johnny was referring to Morrissey (even implicitly) with the crooner comment - some fans just see things that way because we always look at Marr through Morrissey-tinted lenses and not as a standalone artist. Morrissey has never been a typical 'crooner' anyway, and it seems to be a word that is only used to describe his post-Quarry years.

When JM wants to stick it to Morrissey, he does it pretty harshly. Throughout the Modest Mouse period he was positively venomous ("never trust someone whose sideburns are a different colour to the rest of their hair", "I'll never wear a tie on stage", "I'll never have a fringe that faces North instead of South", saying that Ian Curtis could have sung "Hand in Glove" better than Moz etc). But then they met up in '09/10, cleared the air and had that big PR love-in over the Cameron thing and everything was fine for a while. Distance grows between Morrissey & Marr when they don't communicate, and that creates the bitchiness - when they talk it disintegrates.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom