Johnny Marr's fantasy super group line-up - NME

Couldn't have said it better myself..

Drums: Stephen Morris, Joy Division/New Order
“He invented a way of playing the drums that has been a bedrock of really great music ever since. People don’t realise this, but no one actually played the drums like that before Stephen came along.”

Morrissey once said this site isn't about him and his solo work. I guess this silly article about Johnny's fantasy super rock band proves him right - as usual. Reporting by the NME, too, of course. :rolleyes:

I just made an obvious statement. No need to jump into troll mode. I've been here as long as you have - maybe even longer, so get off my nuts.

I don't agree with your obvious statement. The site is about Morrissey and the Smiths with a focus on Morrissey's solo career. If you look at this single news story I suppose you could make the argument but if you take into account all the other articles on the site would you agree the site actually is about him and his solo work?

A (mildly amusing) thought has just occurred to me.
What we need is for Morrissey to be asked for his fantasy super-group line-up.
When choosing a guitarist he could then say:
"I really like (whoever's) style of guitar playing. He never plays in that bloody awful 80's-indie jangly style.
God, I can't stand guitarists who jangle. They make me feel sick!"

"I really like (whoever's) style of guitar playing. He never plays in that bloody awful 80's-indie jangly style.

His answer though would be Jessie Tobias. Who certainly doesn't jingle-jangle judging by his unique interpretation of Smiths songs.

Although he may have jingle-jangled Morrissey in other ways.

:lbf: and sling in a few comments about not liking people who dye their hair and dress like teenagers...

I don't agree with your obvious statement. The site is about Morrissey and the Smiths with a focus on Morrissey's solo career. If you look at this single news story I suppose you could make the argument but if you take into account all the other articles on the site would you agree the site actually is about him and his solo work?

I can't remember where I read it, or heard it, but I know Morrissey commented on the fact that the site isn't about him because there are stories about people who are related to him through music - like Marr, Rouke, Joyce, etc. These stories shouldn't be on front page. They should be listed in the forum under "other music" or "off topic". I don't recall Sing Your Life being about The Smiths - it was always about Morrissey, and I think that's how Morrissey-solo should be. So, to answer your question - No. I don't think it's actually about him. I mean, if the site is "about Morrissey and the Smiths with a focus on Morrissey's solo career" then why is it called MORRISSEY-SOLO? It should be named for his whole career.

I brought it up because I've seen it happen a lot over the years and this story just reminded me of the comment, so I mentioned it here in this thread...

Yeah, ignore the thread, better than admitting the uselessness of your stance.

I went to dinner with some friends and then watched The Walking Dead. I would have answered David's question sooner, but you know, I'm not glued to this site 24/7 - like you are so you can get the last word in. And, yes, I was done with this thread, but not because I can't explain where I stand on the subject.

There's nothing to admit here, darling. Proof is in the pudding. Have a good night.

I went to dinner with some friends and then watched The Walking Dead. I would have answered David's question sooner, but you know, I'm not glued to this site 24/7 - like you are so you can get the last word in. And, yes, I was done with this thread, but not because I can't explain where I stand on the subject.

There's nothing to admit here, darling. Proof is in the pudding. Have a good night.

I thought you were done with this thread?

His answer though would be Jessie Tobias. Who certainly doesn't jingle-jangle judging by his unique interpretation of Smiths songs.

Although he may have jingle-jangled Morrissey in other ways.

Jingle jangle! Goodness gracious me what have we here??

Heres a letter from Manchester "dear Jim please can you put my old band back together again"
From M Joyce

I can't remember where I read it, or heard it, but I know Morrissey commented on the fact that the site isn't about him because there are stories about people who are related to him through music - like Marr, Rouke, Joyce, etc. These stories shouldn't be on front page. They should be listed in the forum under "other music" or "off topic". I don't recall Sing Your Life being about The Smiths - it was always about Morrissey, and I think that's how Morrissey-solo should be. So, to answer your question - No. I don't think it's actually about him. I mean, if the site is "about Morrissey and the Smiths with a focus on Morrissey's solo career" then why is it called MORRISSEY-SOLO? It should be named for his whole career.

I brought it up because I've seen it happen a lot over the years and this story just reminded me of the comment, so I mentioned it here in this thread...

When I started the site in 1996 I named the site Morrissey-solo to show it was focused on the current, his solo career as at the time just about all sites that existed were focused on The Smiths, so it's ironic the choice of the name is being used against me in a sense, now.

The quote you are probably referring to is from the Greek interview LIFO back in July. In the previous thread I have commented how I don't think anything Morrissey said about the site in that interview is true, but you are free to believe what you want.

Last edited:
I don't think it was aimed at Morrissey, he has never described him as a crooner. recently he said he doesn't like Frank Sinatra's songs(well My Way. but seemed to be off him in general). he is more likely thinking of him than Moz.

I don't think Johnny was referring to Morrissey (even implicitly) with the crooner comment - some fans just see things that way because we always look at Marr through Morrissey-tinted lenses and not as a standalone artist. Morrissey has never been a typical 'crooner' anyway, and it seems to be a word that is only used to describe his post-Quarry years.

When JM wants to stick it to Morrissey, he does it pretty harshly. Throughout the Modest Mouse period he was positively venomous ("never trust someone whose sideburns are a different colour to the rest of their hair", "I'll never wear a tie on stage", "I'll never have a fringe that faces North instead of South", saying that Ian Curtis could have sung "Hand in Glove" better than Moz etc). But then they met up in '09/10, cleared the air and had that big PR love-in over the Cameron thing and everything was fine for a while. Distance grows between Morrissey & Marr when they don't communicate, and that creates the bitchiness - when they talk it disintegrates.

thanks so much for simply rehashing everything we already know and have heard
you forgot to mention how Successful marr has been since the smiths "its really laughable"

thanks so much for simply rehashing everything we already know and have heard
you forgot to mention how Successful marr has been since the smiths "its really laughable"

Oh, here we go again, Markmustb1. Even when I'm criticizing Johnny, you want to pick a fight.
I get that you're still pissed because he left your favourite band and everything... but it was 25 years ago. Get over it.

As for his post-Smiths success - or lack thereof - it's only relevant in the sense that it could give some insight into Marr's feelings towards the estrangement. I'm certainly in the camp that believes JM's bitchiness to be a symptom of his bitterness over Morrissey's success, but that's as far as it goes. Discussing the relative merits of "Twisted Tenderness" and "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" isn't really anything to do with that.

Last edited:
Oh, here we go again, Markmustb1. Even when I'm criticizing Johnny, you want to pick a fight.
I get that you're still pissed because he left your favourite band and everything... but it was 25 years ago. Get over it.

As for his post-Smiths success - or lack thereof - it's only relevant in the sense that it could give some insight into Marr's feelings towards the estrangement. I'm certainly in the camp that believes JM's bitchiness to be a symptom of his bitterness over Morrissey's success, but that's as far as it goes. Discussing the relative merits of "Twisted Tenderness" and "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" isn't really anything to do with that.

Sorry for starting in on you again-should be the last time...
you're passionate and knowledgeable."London" for example,just kills~ because of J.M
But it has always been about Morrissey - that's it ,the end (and lose the j.m avatar-lol)

Amy is that tattoo picture real ? That is so cool if it is. By the way Don't change the avatar ...... I love it !

Amy is that tattoo picture real ? That is so cool if it is. By the way Don't change the avatar ...... I love it !

The picture is real, but it's not a proper tattoo. Bernard wanted Johnny to get an EX-SMITH tattoo for the sake of the photograph, but JM wouldn't go through with it so Bernard drew it on in marker pen instead. Incidentally, Smiths photographer Kevin Cummins took this photo; interesting to wonder how he felt about it, because at the time he was working with Marr and Morrissey simultaneously - flying back and forth between Electronic shoots and promo for Kill Uncle. He stayed friends with both of them for many years after the split.

The tattoo pic is from 1990. Here's an alternate shot.

I wouldn't really blame Morrissey if he wanted to bust JM's nose after seeing this pic.

Last edited:
I want to hang out with Bernard Sumner in Hollywood in 1990...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom