Julie Burchill article from 1994

Tingle3

Does anyone have the Morrissey/ Julie Burchill interview from 1994? I have Googled a bit and and can't find it. There's a reference to it in an article by Andrew Harrison of Select (1994):

"It's a bad day at Hook End. The reason, as ever: the press. Morrissey's personal assistant-cum-chief of staff Jake - a stocky ex-boxer at the 20s-30s crossroads, with a skinhead crop, a white Fred Perry-style shirt and hard blue eyes - is furious about a "stitch-up" of Morrissey by Julie Burchill in that morning's Sunday Times. He had had to go on a ten-mile run that morning "to work off the aggression", he says, and he makes it clear that Burchill should count herself lucky she's not a man, otherwise... "

Previously I've linked to an article from 2005 where Burchill mentions Morrissey, but I've not seen the article that Morrissey and Jake appear to have been upset about in 1994. I'm just interested again because I'm reading one of Julie's books novels.... or is it simply her diary?

From Amazon: About the Author
Julie Burchill is 53 and has written more than a dozen books. Her hobbies include spite, luncheon, philanthropy, writing short stories and torch songs, and learning Modern Hebrew. She is married and lives in Brighton.

Does anyone have the Morrissey/ Julie Burchill interview from 1994? I have Googled a bit and and can't find it. There's a reference to it in an article by Andrew Harrison of Select (1994):

"It's a bad day at Hook End. The reason, as ever: the press. Morrissey's personal assistant-cum-chief of staff Jake - a stocky ex-boxer at the 20s-30s crossroads, with a skinhead crop, a white Fred Perry-style shirt and hard blue eyes - is furious about a "stitch-up" of Morrissey by Julie Burchill in that morning's Sunday Times. He had had to go on a ten-mile run that morning "to work off the aggression", he says, and he makes it clear that Burchill should count herself lucky she's not a man, otherwise... "

Previously I've linked to an article from 2005 where Burchill mentions Morrissey, but I've not seen the article that Morrissey and Jake appear to have been upset about in 1994. I'm just interested again because I'm reading one of Julie's books novels.... or is it simply her diary?

Julie Burchill is 53 and has written more than a dozen books. Her hobbies include spite, luncheon, philanthropy, writing short stories and torch songs, and learning Modern Hebrew. She is married and lives in Brighton.

I'll ask Brighton Morrissey (Worlds best lookalike and amazingly like Morrissey in personalty, in some someways) he knows Bruchill, I can't stand her, evil woman.
He hasn't spoke to me since I blabbbed about his old *friendship* with Kristeen (prickly f***er). So I maybe sometime

I can remember reading this but have no idea where to find it online. If I'm thinking of the right one, Morrissey turned up at Burchill's house when she was hungover and recovering from a late night booze/coke session; she got her husband to make tea and pleasantries and then he pretty much left them to it. She needled Morrissey on his sexuality and how she thought his image was contrived, but I don't think it was a case of him storming outside in tears or demanding she be beheaded.

Basically Julie was unprepared, lacked a "filter" for her mouth, managed to hash up the interview by making Morrissey feel persecuted and embarrassed, and then tried to salvage it by typing up a largely narrative character assassination once he'd gone home.
It was typical Burchill narcissism, taking caring to mention how he'd declared endless love for her as a teenager and written saucy letters to the NME telling her the things he wanted to do to her. I think they love to hate each other, don't they?

I think the article used to be on Morrissey-Scans.com, which now appears to be defunct. I haven't had any luck finding it elsewhere, unfortunately, but I do remember the gist of it.

This is the same article that Morrissey bemoans in his book. As I recall, Burchill wrote that she had been up for several days doing cocaine and was in a sour mood when he showed up at her door accompanied by Murray Chalmers. She didn't see Morrissey at first, so she slammed the door on them which seemed to set the tone for the rest of their meeting. She assumed Chalmers was Morrissey's boyfriend, which she proceeded to interrogate him about and was just generally antagonistic toward him the entire time. The article was bizarrely hot/cold, with her alternating between resentment and a fawning school girl crush.

Edit: Amy posted while I was composing my message, so this is now redundant. Oops. :o

Last edited:

I advise you to look up morrisseyscans.com from http://archive.org/web/web.php

Special thanks to MozRecording. :bow:

The only way I know to access it is through the web archive http://archive.org/web/web.php

Search for http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com and it will show you the various snapshots of the site that they took.

Last edited:
I can remember reading this but have no idea where to find it online. If I'm thinking of the right one, Morrissey turned up at Burchill's house when she was hungover and recovering from a late night booze/coke session; she got her husband to make tea and pleasantries and then he pretty much left them to it. She needled Morrissey on his sexuality and how she thought his image was contrived, but I don't think it was a case of him storming outside in tears or demanding she be beheaded.

Basically Julie was unprepared, lacked a "filter" for her mouth, managed to hash up the interview by making Morrissey feel persecuted and embarrassed, and then tried to salvage it by typing up a largely narrative character assassination once he'd gone home.
It was typical Burchill narcissism, taking caring to mention how he'd declared endless love for her as a teenager and written saucy letters to the NME telling her the things he wanted to do to her. I think they love to hate each other, don't they?

I thought he did have an affair with Chalmers.

An interesting footnote to this piece is that Johnny Ro gan, he of the Severed Alliance book, attempted to sue The Sunday Times/ Burchill for plagiarism. I remember reading the article (it was in the Sunday Times magazine from memory) and being rather taken aback by the wholescale lifting of paragraphs from the Severed Alliance.

It was Murray Chalmers who he went to the house with. Not Jake.

I think the interview ended with Morrissey leaving a can of coke when he flounced off and Julie sipping from the can at which point her husband said something along the lines of you need to be careful that's how religions start.

She probably made this up for dramatic licence.

Old bones groan / And the scans below say / Throw your Skinny body down, son.....on the settee..for the weekend! ;)

15384953714_1191108c5c_o.jpg

16007216015_2ed3340304_o.jpg

15387594513_e84f74c7c5_o.jpg

15821470487_904f757622_o.jpg

16007221195_a5b5eea0c1_o.jpg

Old bones groan / And the scans below say / Throw your Skinny body down, son.....on the settee..for the weekend! ;)

Well played matey. Well played indeed.

As for the bones, things get visited upon us. A friend of mine posted a pic today on FB of him after chemo with no hair. My daughter was very, very ill when she was younger. And my bones are f***ed. We never, ever know what will happen to us tomorrow. Never. Live for the moment, do your best, decrease entropy.

P.

Well played matey. Well played indeed.

As for the bones, things get visited upon us. A friend of mine posted a pic today on FB of him after chemo with no hair. My daughter was very, very ill when she was younger. And my bones are f***ed. We never, ever know what will happen to us tomorrow. Never. Live for the moment, do your best, decrease entropy.

P.

Word.

2 years back my brother-in-law went from the sweetest, strongest man I ever knew to gone, by his own hand, via 3 weeks of mental turmoil. I'm still trying, everyday, to hold the shattered pieces of my sister together.
While everything that my mum was is being slowly stripped away by dementia.

Spinning plates, etc.

Life can turn on a pin-head. In a heartbeat.

Who's running the goddam show? No-one. Or someone with a sick sense of humour.

Love is the only thing that lasts.

Back
Top Bottom