Julie Burchill article in "Spiked" - "Why I still love Morrissey, despite our feud" (January 28, 2022)

A typically entertaining article from the half-crazed mind of Julie Burchill, in defence of Morrissey.

The last few lines:

"Do I agree with everything Morrissey says? No. Does this make me want him vanished? No, because I am not a pathetic scaredy cat, frightened of views different from mine. Morrissey is a niggly, narcissistic diva – but he is also one of the greatest pop stars ever to have graced Planet Earth with his presence, and that’s all that counts."

Julie is not a scaredy cat on a chain!

:rock:💙

:cool:

Strong woman as well seeing as she can rationalise the shitty stuff he said about her as well.

Yep, she loves the man, and recognizes his great talent. What ‘niggly’ Moz said, probably gave her a good laugh and she let it go. Sadly, it seems you can’t let it go.:(

‘When in turn Morrissey published his autobiography in 2013, he gave me a right going over. It didn’t bother me that he described me as fat and plain – I did become fat and plain, but I certainly wasn’t when he met me in my thirties, when I was well foxy – or even that he painted me as being a lonely spinster, whereas I lived in a gorgeous flat in Bloomsbury with my second husband and young son. Typically for a woman of working-class origin, it annoyed me most that he said my flat was dirty. It wasn’t dirty at all, I was extremely house proud – there was just a lot of cocaine everywhere.’

:lbf:(y)

full article here ... definitely worth a read

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't piss on Julie Burchill if she was on fire. At a time like this, though... the article is funny and will soothe Moz a bit. A nice read.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't piss on Julie Burchill if she was on fire.

why don’t you like her? is one of the reasons because she contributes to The Spectator? And so one can assume supports that publication’s views? At least she has something in common with Marr, so she can’t be all that bad.

the article is funny and will soothe Moz a bit. A nice read.

(y)

Last edited:
Julie is not a scaredy cat on a chain!

:rock:💙

:cool:

Ive known Julie and she is everything she seems, a nightmare and a bitch and a kbife in the back merchant but she is also deeply caring and touching at times.
Its true , she wouldn't want to hang around with Morrissey BUT she does adore him. in her own way and THIS is who M needs now, not Fiona, someone who has no insight or intelligence and is merely there for bucks.

Julie like M and some of us, is working class in the old way and there is a bond. that never breaks when you are from that world.

Of course this aritcle is classic Julie, its mainly about her " who I met". "guess what I did"
but there we go.

why you don’t like her? is one of the reasons because she contributes to The Spectator? And so one can assume supports that publication’s views? At least she has something in common with Marr, so she can’t be all that bad.
What a bizarre comment. You haven't got a clue who she is, have you? You haven't got a clue about the Spectator either. It's no sin to be unfamiliar with something, but trying to use those things as 'ammo' against Johnny is silly - because it's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Ive known Julie and she is everything she seems, a nightmare and a bitch and a kbife in the back merchant

I wonder what role cocaine played in her behavior or actions at those times? Though I don’t actually know
if she was using at those times.
but she is also deeply caring and touching at times.
Its true , she wouldn't want to hang around with Morrissey BUT she does adore him. in her own way and THIS is who M needs now, not Fiona, someone who has no insight or intelligence and is merely there for bucks.

Julie like M and some of us, is working class in the old way and there is a bond. that never breaks when you are from that world.

Of course this aritcle is classic Julie, its mainly about her " who I met". "guess what I did"
but there we go.

Thank you for your comment.

What a bizarre comment. You haven't got a clue who she is, have you? You haven't got a clue about the Spectator either. It's no sin to be unfamiliar with something, but trying to use those things as 'ammo' against Johnny is silly - because it's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.
Oh, now you just aiming for fish in a barrel...

KS strikes me as American and we all know the relation to the "heart " and "motivation" of what M is about and the world he came from is none existent

Still, at least he isn't one of them who think Morrissey is Mexican .

No I haven’t a clue.

Educate me. Or is criticizing my ignorance on not knowing who Julie Burchill the only thing you care to do?

Come on Amy, you’re better than that.

KS strikes me as American and we all know the relation to the "heart " and "motivation" of what M is about and the world he came from is none existent

Lol. Only people from the UK and especially Manchester could truly understand our Morrissey. :rolleyes:

Wait!? Whaaaaat ??!! Morrissey’s not Mexican ?

No I haven’t a clue.

Educate me. Or is criticizing my ignorance on not knowing who Julie Burchill the only thing you care to do?

Come on Amy, you’re better than that.
I explicitly said that I wasn't criticising you for unfamiliarity. Julie Burchill is hardly world-famous anyway. I was criticising because even though you didn't have the context/backstory on this topic, you still tried to weaponise the Spectator stuff and suggest some equivalence between Julie and JM. Two people who couldn't be more different if they tried.

I explicitly said that I wasn't criticising you for unfamiliarity. Julie Burchill is hardly world-famous anyway. I was criticising because even though you didn't have the context/backstory on this topic,

What is the context/backstory on this topic? please excuse my ignorance.

you still tried to weaponise the Spectator stuff

Nope. Just reminding folks that Marr is a bit contrary in his actions.

and suggest some equivalence between Julie and JM. Two people who couldn't be more different if they tried.

Of course they’re different. But they both contribute or have contributed to the same publication. And it’s my opinion that a contribution to a publication does benefit that publication, and in turn helps spread their views.

So yes, I could go and read up on her, but that wouldn’t tell me the reasons why you don’t like her.
Which was my initial question to you.

Last edited:

I know what you're saying (I can't think of a more painfully English band than The Smiths), but that's a bit unkind. Music is universal. I know nothing about what it's like to be a Jewish guy growing up in New York, but I still love Paul Simon.

What JB writes is always worth reading. And I'm sure there is some truth in the idea that Moz is still a bit of a lonely teenager in his bedroom. If anyone hasn't read it already, her article about writing her new book - Welcome to the Woke Trials: How #Identity Killed Progressive Politics - is a hoot:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom