Ken Dodd dies at age 90 (Morrissey's "favourite comedian" - 1984)

Ken Dodd, what a career he had, carrying on virtually right to the end. He married his partner of 40 years just 2 days ago.

(originally posted in the Book of Condolence Thread)

Posted by Famous when dead:

Morrissey - 3rd of March, 1984

42569_morrissey_ken_dodd_1984.jpg

Obituary: Sir Ken Dodd - BBC News
12 March 2018
His swept-up hair, protruding teeth and expression of lunatic bewilderment made Sir Ken Dodd one of Britain's most recognisable entertainers.

42570_ken_dodd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say I was an ugly baby but my dummy had a 12inch flange.....mine was the only pram that had shutters......I always had a bad chest, the other kids used to wipe their ham sandwiches across my mustard plaster......one good thing about my shows, it's light when you go home. My half - remembered jokes.

Just read a great story about Ken from Linda Nolan (of 1980s Irish singing popsicles, the Nolan sisters), speaking about the time she went bankrupt in 1992:
"The night my bankruptcy story broke I was due to do a private gig at Warwick Castle. And who was I on stage with? None other than Ken Dodd, who had been cleared of tax evasion a few years earlier. If anyone knew all about public humiliation over money matters, it was him.

The thought of going out on stage when everyone in the audience would know I was on my uppers was utterly humiliating, but I desperately needed the fee.

Ken told me to go on stage and say, “yes, I’m the bankrupt Nolan. My mistake was having Ken Dodd as my financial adviser”. I loved him for that. When I told the joke, the audience instantly applauded and I knew the evening would be OK."

Lovely, generous gesture. And very funny, naturally.

I'm so old, I can remember when income tax was 2p in the pound......I thought it still was.

"Please, Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone" is something that I recall Morrissey used to say at the end of a gig. I've only just discovered that "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone" is a song that Ken Dodd used to sing - Sinatra too.

Back
Top Bottom