Kirsty Young on giving Morrissey vodka to relax

Sir David ‘fave guest’ of Desert Discs host - Herald Scotland

Excerpt:

Young, 48, added that she would often go to extra lengths to try to relax interviewees, including sharing a bottle of vodka with ex-Smiths frontman Morrissey.

She said: “I try and make my castaway at ease. Once people relax, they’re more likely to open up.

“And we had it on good authority that Morrissey drinks neat vodka, so we made sure we had a bottle.

“When my producer said: ‘Would you like some tea or coffee... or vodka?’ “Morrissey said: ‘Vodka.’ I had one as well. I wasn’t going to have a cup of tea when Morrissey was having a vodka.

“I didn’t drink it. He did.”

Jason also sends the link to the article in The Guardian:

Roll over Beethoven: Desert Island Discs stars pick pop over classical - The Guardian

39574_1867.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can keep trying but he ain't going to take the bait.
That is all you have to say about the good times, shame on you, really.

You can keep trying but he ain't going to take the bait.
That is all you have to say about the good times, shame on you, really.

It's a story about Morrissey in the news. You are free to redress this perceived slight by finding whatever story you like and posting it. It seems you dislike stories that don't fit your image of the man. Do something about it. Find a story in the news about Morrissey you like and post it. No one will stop you.

It's a story about Morrissey in the news. You are free to redress this perceived slight by finding whatever story you like and posting it. It seems you dislike stories that don't fit your image of the man. Do something about it. Find a story in the news about Morrissey you like and post it. No one will stop you.
I was referring to Kristeen's comments, not you posting it.

I shall send an email to the BBC political affairs programme Question Time and inform David Dimbleby to get a case of grey goose in. They've been trying to get our very opinionated pop performer Steven on the show for years but he refuses every invitation, ( he probably wants the questions emailed to him in advance :cool: but it don't work like that :rolleyes: ).
Now we know how to loosen his tongue and give him some Dutch courage this should be funnier than ever. :guitar:

God save the Queen.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Thank you for posting this link. It shows the awful way Morrissey is treated in his own country. Those bootlickers never miss a single opportunity to win some points with the establishment.
That article says more about the interviewer than about him. We all know he doesn't like interviews and he is not abstemious, so it's understandable he accepted the drink he was offered. Time has shown he wasn't between friends, so he had all the reasons to be nervous and in need of something to relax him.
It's not ladylike making comments about what did consume or didn't consume a guest. If an interviewer makes that it's unethical. If they considered it was weird to drink vodka, they shouldn't have offered it, or asked for it like she did. I only hope he was offered a good quality vodka and that it helped him to tolerate the time he had to spend with those people.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this link. It shows the awful way Morrissey is treated in his own country. Those bootlickers never miss a single opportunity to win some points with the establishment.
That article says more about the interviewer than about him. We all know he doesn't like interviews and he is not abstemious, so it's understandable he accepted the drink he was offered. Time has shown he wasn't between friends, so he had all the reasons to be nervous and in need of something to relax him.
It's not ladylike making comments about what did consume or didn't consume a guest. If an interviewer makes that it's unethical. If they considered it was weird to drink vodka, they shouldn't have offered it, or asked for it like she did. I only hope he was offered a good quality vodka and that it helped him to tolerate the time he had to spend with those people.

I don't get your point. Moz generally likes a drink (nothing wrong with that), has nothing to do with being nervous. The article states that the BBC people THOUGHT he needed a drink to relax and not that he actually needs a drink to relax.

Me reckon no wonder why Uncle Steve hates "the UK". I reckon this is all bull ox anyway. Everyone knows Uncle Steve only drinks Corona with lime. What a bunch of wackers tossey.

Can we just delete this thread and start again? It seems to have gone very strange very quickly...

Thanks for posting the original article.

Can we just delete this thread and start again? It seems to have gone very strange very quickly...

Thanks for posting the original article.

A bit like Steve's career of late don't you think ? :thumb:

Give it a rest. He is not Robert Shaw. He is free to drink just like anybody else. Who cares?

Boz has his own branded beer - what we need now is Mporium to start selling Morrissey-branded vodka. Just whack a picture of his face on the bottles, and "I drank too much and I said too much" and watch the money roll in!

A bit like Steve's career of late don't you think ? :thumb:

No, not really. I guess it depends upon how you define 'strange', I suppose.

On a different subject, I remember that you were very vocal in stating how Johnny Marr's autobiography would give the 'bots' sleepless nights and it would reveal the supposedly hideous truth about Morrissey and his behaviour. I've just finished reading it and all I could detect was that Marr absolutely loved Morrissey and doesn't have a single bad word to say against him. Have I missed something that you picked up on?

I'm not being confrontational and I'm certainly not a 'bot' (despite how the above may read) I'm just interested in understanding your reading of things.

Cheers.

i remember when Kirsty was presenting the Scottish news a long time ago,shes done well for herself.never known a scot not to finish a drink.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom