Kristeen Young interview at Ask Me

Originally posted at All You Need Is Morrissey:

There's a very interesting new interview with KY here:
http://www.askmeaskmeask.me/kristeen-young/

via Twitter: @AskMeX3

It also says Johnny Marr will be interviewed next.

Excerpts:

...Do you get nervous before a performance?
Maybe. I get more nervous about talking than singing. Morrissey is always encouraging me to talk more. Hmm. I don’t know why that is……because I go see bands all the time and they rarely speak.

...“Life’s Not Short, It’s Sooo Long” is one of my favorite songs. It touches me because I read the lyrics as being about pining for a different life, wanting to be rescued from one’s circumstances, which I relate to. What were you longing for and have you found it?
Well, that feeling goes way back and has been consistent in my life. Morrissey says it’s my life’s theme song, but I don’t know. I do know that nothing has been quick in my life and I’ve always felt imprisoned by something. When I was living at home it was home and waiting to get the hell out of there, then, as an adult, it turned into other things — waiting to be acknowledged, waiting for kindness. I finally feel like things are starting to open up a bit for me for the first time after all this time.

...Your last two videos, “Fantastic Failure” and “I’ll Get You Back”, were shot in Missouri? How did it feel to be shooting at home? Are you a local celebrity?

No, I’m not a local celebrity. I’m known other places a lot more. I think the press there has issues with me that I don’t understand. When I lived there they treated me like such a joke — making fun of me all the time. Then, when I left and started working with artists they respect, they seemed like they resented it. I remember one time Tony Visconti guested at one of my shows there (in St. Louis). He played bass on a couple of songs. The press said “Are we supposed to be impressed and feel privileged that she brought some big time producer to play with her.” Umm, maybe I just thought it would be a treat because so many tours skip St. Louis completely. So, I guess, YES, you were meant to enjoy it. I learned my lesson. Never again.

It’s puzzling. In 2009, I think, Morrissey played there. I wasn’t opening, but he complimented me (on stage) and the press reported it as being sarcastic. I mean, it was such a leap to say that it was sarcastic. That’s the old hometown. Everyone has one. I can deal with it. There are worse things.

...You’ve toured quite a bit with Morrissey. How have you changed since first meeting him? Has he influenced your work?
Oh, gosh. I was a mess when I met him. I don’t know what he saw in me and I’m sure many feel the same way. He’s taught me so much — how to talk to people, how to talk at all. I was always a decent writer, but I had problems with actual speaking. Also, life had been so hard for so many years — I was always on the defensive — just ready for the shit to be slung — always ready for the fight. I was a wild thing. He dealt with me in a very loving way and I became warm again. Strange how that works. Also, the validation I feel from him has changed my life. I am stronger.

Last edited:
[

Last edited:
Well for those who havent seen kristeen young in concert, ur in for a plesant surprise! :)

shes fantastic!

Morrissey will NEVER let "her go" shes actually a star in her own rite! and he knows it! she will allways be in concert with him HORRAYYY! :) shes brilliant! and as morrissey puts it there are "no true friends in modern life" but morrissey is a true loyal friend, and he will be to her as she will be to him! morrissey wears his heart on his sleeve, what u see if what u get, a rare attribute these days! i know from his words and music, i can tell these things! and she is also the same, !
Its allways the same with honest and truthfull people like morrissey and kristeen, they become targets for those who want to bring the light into the darkness, but the honest ones dont care, as they stand in truth! and 2 hell with the critisisim and consequences!

Morrissey and kristeen were meant 2 be! and weather it b on a phisical plane or just a purly platonic freindship thats there buisness!

I dont think she's a 'star' by any stretch of the imagination. She has talent, yes, but she's already shoeboxed herself in and will go no further. She needs to branch out on her own, not be a hanger on with Morrissey. Morrissey may be a true, loyal friend as you claim, we'll never know since he rarely speaks about any aspect of his personal life (we'll have to see what his autobio says if and when it comes out) so we are left wondering about his true relationship. However, a true and loyal friend wouldn't fire you for a comment made--probably chew your ass out for the comment but never really fire you. So I wonder how "loyal" he really is. She's a passing fancy that has lasted too long, but that tends to happen when someone with ocd focuses on something--usually to noone's benefit.

Last edited:

Do u honestly really belive that morrissey "did" or "will" fire kristeen young from the world tour ? not a chance! shes just fantastic live in concert ! :) The remarks she made on stage did nothing LESS than strengthen there freindship! morrissey does not suffer fools gladly, hes made that crystal clear on many occation! and so if anyone else had made those remarks about him, THEY WOULD OF BEEN fired instantly! and not taken back! but as it was kristeen young its a different matter!
I can really see what he sees in her! a true talent, a mystery, quite outspoken, different 2 the norm, an imigma just as morriseey is himself! has anyone actually bought and listened to her albums? there BRILILIANT ! her vocal range is simply breathtaking! and the music is incredible and compliments her perfectly!
Why do you think everyone talks about kristeen young so much? as you are yourself! even if a lot of it is negative, thats irrelevant! in fact the more abuse and negativity she gets the greater she becomes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) bad and negative pubclity is the best and most usefull publicity you can hope 4!
When all is said and done both morrissey and kristeen young are fantastic stars in there own rites and compliment each other perfectly! well thats my oipnion anyways!

I agrea tho we need 2 read morrisseys auto biogrpphy, if it ever comes out! as we STILL dont really know a thing about him! well thats all part of the charm! that is if the book ever comes out, weve been waiting for ages 4 it! But as its morrissey, hes forgiven lol only kidding! :)

Well im off now, i need 2 try and get this "niteowl" sleep disorder sorted out, were Im awake all thru the nite! Its not an ideal situation one finds oneself in! specially when u need 2 drink a good few wines 2 make u go 2 sleep!!!!!!!! :(

Goodnite everyone ! :)

do you actually have her albums?...THEN I FEEL BAD FOR YOU SON, CAUSE I GOT 99 PROBLEMS BUT KRISTEEN YOUNG'S ALBUMS AIN'T 1!

Well for those who havent seen kristeen young in concert, ur in for a plesant surprise! :)

shes fantastic!

Morrissey will NEVER let "her go" shes actually a star in her own rite! and he knows it! she will allways be in concert with him HORRAYYY! :) shes brilliant! and as morrissey puts it there are "no true friends in modern life" but morrissey is a true loyal friend, and he will be to her as she will be to him! morrissey wears his heart on his sleeve, what u see if what u get, a rare attribute these days! i know from his words and music, i can tell these things! and she is also the same, !
Its allways the same with honest and truthfull people like morrissey and kristeen, they become targets for those who want to bring the light into the darkness, but the honest ones dont care, as they stand in truth! and 2 hell with the critisisim and consequences!

Morrissey and kristeen were meant 2 be! and weather it b on a phisical plane or just a purly platonic freindship thats there buisness!

Obvious troll is obvious etc.

Last edited:
yep got "music for strippers hookers and the on odd on looker" and also "v the vocanic", im buying the other ones soonish, its somthing 2 look forward 2! :)
its the same when i buy morrisseys albums, i never listen 2 all the tracks, only the first few so it leaves me wiv somthing 2 look forward 2!
How clever i am ! :)
i do of course have all of morrissey albums, including all the vinal lps and singles! I rush out 2 the shops 2 get them the very day they are released!
Hey bet the vinal lps and singles ect are worth a few bob these days? But mine are not for sale !
But i think kristeen young wud sell more copies of her cds ect , assuming thats her goal! If they were more readily available 2 buy in the uk !!!!!!!!! You can of course purchase the tracks off her website ect but i dont want 2 buy downloads i want the cds! I had some problems getting my copies of her cds i can tell ya that much! Had 2 order mine from switzerland!

But back on topic! A few words from morissey himself! (im listening to the track now as i write! :) )

"why dew u think i let u get away, wiv all those things u said 2 me, (kristeen young) cud it be i like u? Its so shamefull of me but i like u, your not quite rite in the head but nor am i, cud it be a like u? I like u? I like u, your not not quite rite in the head but nor am i, but i like u, i like u, i like u "

what more can one say? :)

im going to re-read the kristeen young interview at ask me again, think ive only read the excerpts from the interview so far and not the full interview, shame on me i know! And then get back !! Its just theres so many interviews by morrissey and kristeen, it takes time 2 read and listen 2 everything!!!!!!!!!!!! Im here almost 4 ever as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!! And ive got some work 2 do of great importance! ! :)

nice try kristeen young.

Last edited:
awww YOU WISH !

But anyways read the full interview proper now, a completly facsinating, open, frank, insperational, touching, and heart warming, If a somewhat harrowing and distressing in parts, interview by an unimaginabally gifted and talented superstar ! :)

Id of liked 2 of commented on a few things about what she said in the interview ie about some of the negative relationships/experiences ect shes had/been thru ect, but Im not sure its the time nor the place 4 me 2 say such things!
I must have "some" self control over some of the stuff I say on internet forums!

But the good news however is that kristeen young is soon 2 release a new album and she says its her best stuff yet!!!!!!!!!!!!! if its anywere near as briiliant as her last stuff we are in for one big treat! yea its gunna be fantastic !!!!!!!! :) plus we have morrisseys new album coming soon 2!!!!!!!!!!!!! and we all KNOW its gunna be fantastic just like it allways is! :)
Happy days 2 come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but we mustent be greedy, we have the manchester concert 2 look forward 2 at the moment, the countdown is on!!!!!!!!!

Tell u what this evening has certainly crept up on us again! 3.50 am already! tis time for a little glass of wine again me thinks ! A nice red merlot!
My sence of dark/light nite/day is a little bit screwed up at moment, but i can allways tell when its time for a little nite cap when the sunny morning daylite is about 2 loom in (well it will do shortly!) and our little feathered friends outside all start singing charming love songs 2 each other in the hope of attracting a mate! :)
There as quite as little mice all evening and just as im about 2 retire, they start ! LOL :)
Cant wait for the winter 2 return !

Anyways tis time for my departure!, I must make good my escape !

Just 4 morrissey - allways and forever! :)

Ur an 88.

Do u honestly really belive that morrissey "did" or "will" fire kristeen young from the world tour ? not a chance! shes just fantastic live in concert ! :) The remarks she made on stage did nothing LESS than strengthen there freindship! morrissey does not suffer fools gladly, hes made that crystal clear on many occation! and so if anyone else had made those remarks about him, THEY WOULD OF BEEN fired instantly! and not taken back! but as it was kristeen young its a different matter!
I can really see what he sees in her! a true talent, a mystery, quite outspoken, different 2 the norm, an imigma just as morriseey is himself! has anyone actually bought and listened to her albums? there BRILILIANT ! her vocal range is simply breathtaking! and the music is incredible and compliments her perfectly!
Why do you think everyone talks about kristeen young so much? as you are yourself! even if a lot of it is negative, thats irrelevant! in fact the more abuse and negativity she gets the greater she becomes!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) bad and negative pubclity is the best and most usefull publicity you can hope 4!
When all is said and done both morrissey and kristeen young are fantastic stars in there own rites and compliment each other perfectly! well thats my oipnion anyways!

I agrea tho we need 2 read morrisseys auto biogrpphy, if it ever comes out! as we STILL dont really know a thing about him! well thats all part of the charm! that is if the book ever comes out, weve been waiting for ages 4 it! But as its morrissey, hes forgiven lol only kidding! :)

Well im off now, i need 2 try and get this "niteowl" sleep disorder sorted out, were Im awake all thru the nite! Its not an ideal situation one finds oneself in! specially when u need 2 drink a good few wines 2 make u go 2 sleep!!!!!!!! :(

Goodnite everyone ! :)

He DID fire her back in 2007, I doubt he will in the future tho, unless she REALLY screws up again. He may feel he's stuck with her and doesn't know what else to do with her. He may just really feel sorry and is trapped in this situation with her. Maybe he hopes his fans will TOTALLY embrace her and love her just as much as he says he does. Maybe he thinks he has more pull or power than he actually does and is hoping that someone will pick her up just based on the fact that she is "with" him. Who knows? He's not very open about such things and we are left guessing. I'm not impressed by her all that much, I can never understand what she is singing and I don't much care for her piano playing. I still don't feel she is a star. Morrissey however IS one. KY can only hope and dream and wish to be like Morrissey, even with all her posturing to mimic him.

Kirsteen's a no talent hack? Morrissey's been writing the same song for over 30 years!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom