Kristeen Young

Yes, there are rules. You can break them if the audience is there to see you. Kristeen's problem is that she is an artist and not an entertainer and she seems to have an issue with the fact that not everyone is bowled over by her. So as talented and unique as she is, she irritates people that are there to enjoy Morrissey and pretty much indifferent about who opens the show.

About this "professional" question, unfortunately some musicians are to blame for the idea that it's all a free for all, but that's really disrespectful to all of the professional musicians that show up on time, sober, or at least not drunken or stoned, rehearsed and ready to perform, who are happy that someone bought a ticket and will do their best to entertain.

I don't claim any inside information but I've heard again and again that people get hired because they are professional, have a good attitude and are easy to work with. You don't get to live out your Pete Doherty fantasies until the people are there to see you.

And with the feedback that Kristeen has gotten, of which Morrissey is surely aware, "disrespectful to the audience" "temper tantrums" and so on, most unknown, unsigned opening acts would have been dropped.

Kristeen has had so much handed to her and she is like a spoiled child in her attitude towards the audience. I didn't go see to see her, but presumably some of the money I spent on tickets wound up in her pocket, and I did not appreciate being treated to sarcasm by a person that I really don't care about at all. They could have NO opening act at all and it would amount to the same thing in my opinion. I recognize her talent, but I don't enjoy her music or her performance, and she should just be happy she is getting this exposure before this audience.

Yes, she worked hard. Yes, she has talent, and yes, she is, if not unique, at least unusual, but that is true of many musicians. They all work hard, unless they believe this thing that the music business is all a big party. Many of them are talented and different, but they don't all get the chance to play at the Hollywood Bowl, be on television, be part of a successful tour, and get all of the attention she has received thanks to Morrissey. She should THANK the people that are watching her perform.

That word is key. It's a performance. If you want people to appreciate you as an artist do the Kristeen Young tour and be true to that. Don't open for someone with an intensely loyal fanbase and expect them to accept bad behaviour.

Well, see, I said it so much nicer earlier. :p Sorry, I'll try not to talk about her again.

Guruji Dave strikes again!

I agree with you Dave. That was really well put. But it must be HELL to open for Morrissey...especially as many times as she did. Is she his longest opening act? Because reading about previous tours before he got her, he seemed to change people around quite frequently. If she is the longest...props to her. It must get quite disappointing to constantly show your art to a bunch of people who just don't care. It really knocks one's self worth...

That sexual comment seemed a bit...I don't know. It didn't really sit well with me...it's almost like it is really rude to say something like that about Morrissey when he is listening, especially because he has very much expressed discomfort with sexuality, and was quite ambiguous regarding that question for a while...
She probably forgot to separate the 'pal' Morrissey that she can joke around with behind the scenes, with professional Morrissey....hence the comment that would have been funny off-stage, which turned into not-so-funny on stage...

hah! I can appreciate a speck of her lyrics now, since i had no blinking idea what the f*** she was singing gthe last few times i heard her. i cant stand her but "life stealing baby gun" gets kudos from me regardless of my personal KY feelings!

amen...

and regarding KY. Well, I suppose if I were in Moz's position I would fire her for saying I gave good head ONLY if I were in fact in any way sexually involved with her... in that case I might not even let her finish her set... I would come out there and unplug her keyboard and put on the video.

otherwise - I mean if I weren't sexually involved with the person commenting - I really don't know how I would handle it because it is not my job and I have no experience... and of course I do not know Morrissey on a personal level so I really don't know what he thinks about such comments and I doubt anybody here or perhaps anybody but he does.

Last edited:
amen...

and regarding KY. Well, I suppose if I were in Moz's position I would fire her for saying I gave good head, if I were in fact in any way sexually involved with her... in that case I might not even let her finish her set... I would come out there and unplug her keyboard and put on the video.

otherwise - I mean if I weren't sexually involved with the person commenting - I really don't know how I would handle it because it is not my job and I have no experience... and of course I do not know Morrissey on a personal level so I really don't know what he thinks about such comments and I doubt anybody here or perhaps anybody but he does.

You basically just said nothing, so I guess in a strange way, I have to agree with you.

David is about to post an article under the category RUMOUR asking if anyone can confirm that KY is off the tour b/c of the oral sex joke.

I don't think it was the oral sex comment that is responsible for her leaving. Maybe she's just tired of having to face an indifferent at best crowd night after night.

:confused: how'd you know davidt was about to post this before it was actually added to the main board?

I ask this question because on Brooklynvegan's blog, he has commented that she is dropping off the tour because her vocals are shot..the guy is not one to start rumors and usually has decent sources..

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2007/10/more_morrissey.html

it is rather curious that this comment by brooklynvegan popped up on the same day that davidt got the anonymous submission that she is off the tour ---- but for a different reason (fired vs. impaired voice.

good mystery here we go... until tomorrow.

my opinion on her remark tuesday night? way inappropriate; i don't find anything redeeming or witty about it. especially saying that in front of morrissey's sister/nephews? not that she necessarily knew they were there (assuming that was really them, as the reports say), but still, any of his family/relatives could be in the audience at any time. and even if they weren't - STILL ill-judgment. don't understand what in the world could cause that to spill out of her mouth... true or untrue, not prudent, imo.

lol, it seems you actually do, reading your tour reviews.. :)

how far in advance do you get to see them?

Hah hah, flattery will get you everywhere! ;)

I think we get to see the articles an hour in advance. I'm not sure. It just depends upon when I happen to look at the mainpage. I'm sure the faq on subscriptions addresses it. I was an accidental subscriber, so I don't know the ins & outs of how it works.

now that I think about it...whats the big deal...at least she didnt say he gives BAD head....

I think what annoyed people (well, what annoyed me anyway) is the fact that realistically i don't think any of us want to hear some other person saying quite vulgar things like that about him. Like someone mentioned earlier, moz was always quite uncomfortable on the subject of sex and sexuality. Maybe he's not anymore, we don't know but does anyone really wanna hear her saying things like that about him??

I think what annoyed people (well, what annoyed me anyway) is the fact that realistically i don't think any of us want to hear some other person saying quite vulgar things like that about him. Like someone mentioned earlier, moz was always quite uncomfortable on the subject of sex and sexuality. Maybe he's not anymore, we don't know but does anyone really wanna hear her saying things like that about him??

But don't you think people took it way too seriously? It was just a silly glib comment. Personally I think it's because some of them fear that something is going on between Kristeen and Morrissey and they really hate the idea. I don't think they have anything to freak out about though, Morrissey and Kristeen arriving at that hotel the other night hours apart tells you all you need to know.

Well, I suppose we would have heard something official by now, either from TTY or from Kristeen's Myspace/homepage.

As for the comment itself, I can't believe people are getting so worked up about it. It didn't strike me as particularly offensive. Granted, it wasn't very ladylike (for lack of a better word), but that's not what Kristeen is about. There are almost 400 posts on the main page, and most of them about this comment. It really isn't such a big deal, she probably just blurted it out without thinking, something that Moz himself is prone to do. Morrissey's nephews and sister probably weren't overjoyed to hear it, but I don't think it's any worse than the explosive kegs line for example.

But don't you think people took it way too seriously? It was just a silly glib comment. Personally I think it's because some of them fear that something is going on between Kristeen and Morrissey and they really hate the idea. I don't think they have anything to freak out about though, Morrissey and Kristeen arriving at that hotel the other night hours apart tells you all you need to know.

Exactly.

The comment doesn't bother me. Kristeen has been antagonistic and so then when she makes a remark like this, some people might be genuinely offended, and others are just tired of her.

As far as one line in my earlier rant being picked out, about her being "criticized for being sarcastic", well, Morrissey's sarcasm is witty and and when it is directed at the audience it's coming from someone some of us see almost as an old friend. It goes down much easier. (so to speak)

Sorry, but I have to disagree. If he doesn't want other people talking about it, then he shouldn't call attention to it by singing songs about being entered and having explosive kegs. This is Morrissey, not The Singing Nun.

This is the best news!!! I don't have to listen to her again!!!! Listening to her, makes you wish you were deaf! Great timing. I'm seeing Moz Oct 30. Maybe Moz should play music videos before the show.

now that I think about it...whats the big deal...at least she didnt say he gives BAD head....

LMFAO! :D

Seriously though, I am amazed that this kind of off-color comment is getting the kind of attention it is. People talking about offending Moz or his uncomfortability with his sexuality. He is a grown man not a priest or a saint...and has never really shown himself to be this fragile little boy that the media makes him out to be. He has often shown a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor himself. He has never had any problems throwing out sexual inuendos in his own lyrics. Personally, I doubt the comment is anything that would have really upset him. But what do I know? I met the man once for an autograph signing and was so awestruck that I could barely form a complete sentence. So I don't know what truly makes him tick. I would like to think that someone like Kristeen, who despite being somewhat antagonistic doesn't come across as being incredibly stupid, has been on the road with Moz long enough to know what is okay to say and what isn't. Why would she blow this opportunity by biting the hand that feeds her?
I guess we'll see tonight.

i am amazed at how many times people make reference to this explosive keg thing... and as for being entered - there is more than one way to be entered (most of which are not sexual in meaning.) I for one was amazed when I saw moz singing DGPHM - I CRINGED when people wooed and cheered when he sang those words. it was so embarrassing and somehow seemed so disrespectful as he stand up there apparently and perhaps singing about something quite close to his rather sensitive and seemingly big heart... funny how those words provoke so much. its not really a big deal guys -not in the least bit vulgar or offensive or even rude. There is a totally different feel when it is about oneself anyway.

suparni-while normally I'd back your theory on the "entered" thing...think ahead a verse where he's crooning about "spreading your legs with mine in between" and well....yeah.

Tags
kristeen young
Back
Top Bottom