KRISTEENYOUNG at Pianos - My Thoughts

modrevolve

Standard Model
For those of you curious to hear how KY's first post-moz show went ( at least I think it was), I'll give you the rundown. I must first mention that I had caught this band about 8 times or so opening for Moz before her dismissal from the tour. At the time I for one was looking forward to a change in opening acts but after the new girls stepped on stage, I felt quite bad for KY and all the negative publicity. Like many of us in the crowd, I really didn't pay much attention to her but for whatever reason, I wanted to see what it was like to attend one of her shows without the anticipation of a headlining act.

I arrived at Pianos at 8:30 about five minutes before her show started. Was able to grab a beer and a spot close to the stage without anyone pushing or showing. She launched into her first song, and it immediately struck me that I forgot my earplugs! Anyways I instantly recognized the song from seeing her all those times before but instead of cringing and withdrawing from her music into my own world like I normally did, I was actually drawn to her and paid attention to every note. The place filled up to about 50 people; half the capacity of the room, none of whom I recognized from Morrissey shows. These were her fans she was playing in front of and they were all loving every minute of it.

I must admit I was quite captivated by her performance, and really took to a few of her newer songs that displayed a more sensitive side of KY, or as she put it "proof that she actually has a heart" (her words not mine). No word of her incident from the Hammerstein was mentioned. Instead she was very gracious in thanking the crowd numerous times for the support, including one bloke who flew over from Manchester for the show.

So after a very loud and impressive 45 minute set, I purchased her new cd "the Orphans" and made my way over to her for a few minutes of her time. I told her that after catching her numerous times on the world tour, I now wanted to see her in friendlier confines to which she gave me a big smile. She says she has no regrets about anything from the past two years and is very gracious for to Morrissey and of us fans for the opportunity her and Jeff were given and that she's really excited about her upcoming dates with Ted Leo. She was a lot sweeter of a person that I expected. I ended things by giving her a copy of my band's (The Standard Model) disc and parted with a hug and the picture you see below.

So In summary, I'm very glad to have made the trek out to Pianos and giving KRISTEENYOUNG a second chance (ninth actually). Its a lot easier to enjoy her performance when you haven't been standing around for 1 1/2 hours, the volume is turned down and Morrissey isn't on next!

PS - I'm not a blogger and really I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read these ramblings and my pics.

best
Darren

2069939973_44871e8d4d.jpg

2070736334_ee3e7d1dae.jpg

2069959385_eeb453b95c.jpg

2069940893_831c89387b.jpg

That was lovely.
She grew on me. I really disliked her, immensely at first. But as Bob Dylan once said "In order to find things beautiful, I must find them ugly first"...I feel the same way about KY. She's just a musician who is doing her own thing even if it is running head-first into a solid brick wall...and that's something that is very, VERY hard to find these days.

hey thanks for the review, sounds like you had a great time - yay! and you dashing in your pic with KY I might add!

Many thanks for the review and pictures. Im glad you enjoyed Kristeen. She seems like a very nice person. I have always been a fan of hers and I think she is an incredibly talented lady, very pretty too. Like Pandora said, she does her own thing, and thats especially what i like about her. I saw her with Moz but I would love to see her again.
Thanks again modrevolve! :D

Yes but what were her SHOES like? SExy or mumsy?

The shoes she wears with that outfit had us middle-aged ladies in the front row taking notes. They're a very sassy yet sensible pair of red sandals with a stacked heel. I liked them quite a lot until I saw that they have a heart shaped cutout over the instep (get it? red? hearts) and I don't do cutesy. They look like she got them out of the Coldwater Creek catalog. But they look very comfortable and are really kind of cute. Says a middle aged lady.

The shoes she wears with that outfit had us middle-aged ladies in the front row taking notes. They're a very sassy yet sensible pair of red sandals with a stacked heel. I liked them quite a lot until I saw that they have a heart shaped cutout over the instep (get it? red? hearts) and I don't do cutesy. They look like she got them out of the Coldwater Creek catalog. But they look very comfortable and are really kind of cute. Says a middle aged lady.

Oh I saw those - she wore them at one of the Moz shows in NY. Didnt like them much, too sensible. Killer heels win every time for me!

Funny this is the third time now on solo where a thread I was posting in turned into a discussion on womens footwear :)

Great post mod, it's good to see kindhearted and open minded posters here.

Interesting to hear that she sounded better in a different venue. I had seen her twice this year with Moz and honestly she was not my cup of tea. Perhaps over the past year and a half she has been a victim of blue mixing. A common touring practice where opening (read: lesser) bands gets a horrible sound mix compared to the headliner.

In honesty though it was a bit more than her music that left a bad impression with me, so given the chance I probably wouldn't pay to see her perform. But I am very glad that someone did.

I think part of my favorable impression was that her song selection was a bit different..She played the majority of her Morrissey tour set but added a few newer songs which are less abrassive and I think could have gone down better on that tour..

Its really hard for anyone to enjoy an opening act when you've been queueing for several hours in less then favorable weather and then standing for an additional 1 1/2 hours before she came on.

As for sound issues, I agree with you..Both KY and Girl from a Coma were way too loud and caused many of us a bit of discomfort.

Tags
kristeen young
Back
Top Bottom