Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle" line "babies full of rabies" influence on "Neal Cassady Drops Dead"?

Kurt Vonnegut Cats Cradle could easily include the subtitle "world peace is none of your business". It contains the line "babies full of rabies" marking the second time Morrissey has word-lifted from the author.

The first being...

Thanks.

Kurt Vonnegut Cats Cradle could easily include the subtitle "world peace is none of your business". It contains the line "babies full of rabies" marking the second time Morrissey has word-lifted from the author.

Excellent reveal, 21punksalute!

The line is in Chapter 28 of Cat's Cradle:

“That’s very interesting,” sighed Miss Faust. “Now, could we go down?”

“Only way we can go is down,” barked Knowles. “This here’s the top. You ask me to go up and wouldn’t be a thing I could do for you. Yes, yes!”

“So let’s go down,” said Miss Faust.

“Very soon now. This gentleman here been paying his respects to Dr. Hoenikker?”

“Yes,” I said. “Did you know him?”

“Intimately,” he said. “You know what I said when he died?”

“No.”

“I said, ‘Dr. Hoenikker—he ain’t dead.’”

“Oh?”

“Just entered a new dimension. Yes, yes!” He punched a button, and down we went.

“Did you know the Hoenikker children?” I asked him.

“Babies full of rabies,” he said. “Yes, yes!”

I guess the other Vonnegut reference is the take on the "There's more to life than books..." line which originally appeared in Slaughter House Five, but like Detritus said, that's never been confirmed by Moz himself.

Last edited:

Loretta Swit adds details in the thread, "The line is in Chapter 28 of Cat's Cradle..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Babies and rabies rhyme. Why is Morrissey always guilty of tuning into the same rhyming words and declared a plagerist? It's unfair.

Plagiarist. "there's always someone, somewhere with a big nose who knows..."

http://www.smashinglists.com/top-10-beatnik-novels/

"The beat generation established the obscure and the outrageous as primary themes within popular literature in the mid-20[SUP]th[/SUP] century. Coming in to fruition following the end of the Second World War, the work created by those involved in this counterculture movement lives on today inspiring many more writers to adopt the brash and straight forward style.

best
BB

Borrowing a line from Kurt Vonnegut in a song mentioning Allen Ginsberg with 'Neal Cassady' in the title would make sense to me. If anything, Morrissey missed an opportunity to make a Jack Kerouac reference.

Talking in terms of plagiarism, a one-time, one-line lift is more a homage than the wholesale lifting of By Grand Central Station, I Sat Down And Wept he did. Elizabeth Smart needs a co-writing credit to many Smiths songs.

Since the early Smiths days it's not a secret Morrissey uses parts out of published books.[you all know His mum was....librarian]

'and they say he's mentall' ...there's more to life than books you know but not much more...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom