Lack of Alain Whyte songs in current setlists

Bluebirds

Just saying likes. Wonder why that is?

He is singing Trouble Loves Me so I can't be a concious thought to exclude Alain's songs.

It's probably just a case of Morrissey wanting to promote his latest work, most of the songs are from World Peace and when you throw in a few Smiths songs there isn't a lot of room to fit in.

Trouble Loves Me, Certain People I Know - both Alain songs.

His focus is the new album.

I genuinely dont think he gives too much thought to co-writers when picking songs for a setlist. We as fans give it more thought than he ever would.

Tobias struggles with any songs that aren't based on clumpy power-chords...

Tobias struggles with any songs that aren't based on clumpy power-chords...

That's unfair. I agree with many in that Jesse isn't my favourite Morrissey co-writer but to imply that he can't handle playing Alain's song is rubbish, he can certainly play guitar.

That's unfair. I agree with many in that Jesse isn't my favourite Morrissey co-writer but to imply that he can't handle playing Alain's song is rubbish, he can certainly play guitar.

I'm with you on this. Tobias is not a great songwriter, though he has steadily improved from ROTT onwards in my opinion. To me, when I have seen Morrissey in concert and Jesse attempts any Boz/Alain or even Johnny song I haven't heard any major discrepancies. I'm sure someone can dig up a Youtube video where he played a bum note on some obscure album track from a gig in Buttf***, Idaho or whatever to explemify how terrible he is but, for me, he does the job required.

well as was just stated his im not a man got more tens than any so hes doing something right imo

While I grant you that Jesse shows more songwriting range on WPINOYB (FINALLY, after all these years), it is irrefutable that he has done hard by some of Alain's songs/guitar parts in live settings past, e.g., First of the Gang To Die, Reader Meet Author (the "solo," ye gods...and it's not a difficult part), You're The One For Me, Fatty, Best Friend on the Payroll. I understand he wants to make his own mark, but you don't throw the whole template out the window.

While I grant you that Jesse shows more songwriting range on WPINOYB (FINALLY, after all these years), it is irrefutable that he has done hard by some of Alain's songs/guitar parts in live settings past, e.g., First of the Gang To Die, Reader Meet Author (the "solo," ye gods...and it's not a difficult part), You're The One For Me, Fatty, Best Friend on the Payroll. I understand he wants to make his own mark, but you don't throw the whole template out the window.

I completely agree. I think the closest Jesse stayed true to Alain's original riffs was during the Quarry tour back in 2004. It really wasn't until the following tour (Ringleader) when he was allowed a bit more freedom in improvising certain notes more to his liking. I assume this was because he was considered the permanent lead guitarist by then.

If we are doing things from a technical point of view, how many times has Morrissey gone off key, hit a bum note, etc etc - the whole performance, for want of a triter phrase, is perfectly above board and enjoyable and the same goes for the backing band.

But I'm not a musician myself, so I suppose my opinion doesn't hold much water.

If we are doing things from a technical point of view, how many times has Morrissey gone off key, hit a bum note, etc etc - the whole performance, for want of a triter phrase, is perfectly above board and enjoyable and the same goes for the backing band.

But I'm not a musician myself, so I suppose my opinion doesn't hold much water.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with a little imperfection. Perfection is for those who buy into all that modern auto tune bollocks.

Exactly, if I wanted note perfect replication I'd go to see a Smiths tribute band.

Or Interpol live.

Back
Top Bottom