Last album theory

A

Anonymous

When REM released their album Collapse Into Now they knew it was going to be their last, although they hadn't made that fact public. The album contained quite a few musical references to their back-catalogue, almost like they were reminiscing over their career, and the cover had a visual clue (Michael Stipe waving goodbye).

Morrissey's new album also has quite a few musical references to his past. Istanbul seems to reference Jack The Ripper. Kick the Bride Down the Aisle references Please, Please, Please (listen at around 4 minutes), Oboe Concerto references Death Of a Disco Dancer. The beginning of Staircase At The University sounds like the beginning to National Front Disco (OK, maybe this is pushing it). Also, if you look at the sleeve, the visual clue might be that the writing is, literally, on the wall.

Am I on to anything here? Or am I just a moron? Or are the two not mutually exclusive?

Well, he is signed to a contract that offers all of us one more album. so....

Even if you don't buy the specific theory, it's interesting that there are so many nods to his legacy on this album, isn't it?

Well, he is signed to a contract that offers all of us one more album. so....

Rank Mk II

Nah, I think we'll see the second Harvest album (especially considering the relative excitement surrounding this one), but if that disc doesn't at the very least equal this disc (or it's some shoddy B-sides/other compilation), who knows if he'll get this kind of chance to secure another album deal to his liking again.

Yeah, especially since he obviously can't tour anymore and hasn't done any promotion for this album, after the next one I don't know if he will just retire.

I do not hear Jack the Ripper in Istanbul - not at all. Where are you getting this?

I do hear a bit of a Smiths jingle here and there in some of the songs, but I think this is more Morrissey trying to go back to a sound that is loved by many while also trying to make it different and new.

And, no. I don't think this is the end of his career.

It’s a neat theory, for sure. But I don’t necessarily agree with it.

When REM released their album Collapse Into Now they knew it was going to be their last, although they hadn't made that fact public. The album contained quite a few musical references to their back-catalogue, almost like they were reminiscing over their career, and the cover had a visual clue (Michael Stipe waving goodbye).

Morrissey's new album also has quite a few musical references to his past. Istanbul seems to reference Jack The Ripper. Kick the Bride Down the Aisle references Please, Please, Please (listen at around 4 minutes), Oboe Concerto references Death Of a Disco Dancer. The beginning of Staircase At The University sounds like the beginning to National Front Disco (OK, maybe this is pushing it). Also, if you look at the sleeve, the visual clue might be that the writing is, literally, on the wall.

Am I on to anything here? Or am I just a moron? Or are the two not mutually exclusive?

I hear Jack the ripper in Istanbul and a little bit of black cloud with smidgen of November.

Moz has signed a two-album deal - however, looking at his past history he usually ends up issuing another Greatest Hits/B Side compilation/live cash-in to wangle his way out of his record contract. Look for 'Morrissey - The Definitive Collection' to arrive in time for Xmas next year. Hopefully it will have a couple of new tracks, but otherwise I'd say it's 50/50 that 'World Peace' could be his final 'proper' album. I guess it will all depend on sales, and whether Moz falls out with Harvest or not over the next 12 months.

Moz has signed a two-album deal - however, looking at his past history he usually ends up issuing another Greatest Hits/B Side compilation/live cash-in to wangle his way out of his record contract. Look for 'Morrissey - The Definitive Collection' to arrive in time for Xmas next year. Hopefully it will have a couple of new tracks, but otherwise I'd say it's 50/50 that 'World Peace' could be his final 'proper' album. I guess it will all depend on sales, and whether Moz falls out with Harvest or not over the next 12 months.

This new album could breathe new life into him creatively though too. It took seven years to get from “Maladjusted” to “Quarry” and then a little under 2 years later we got “Ringleader”.

This new album could breathe new life into him creatively though too. It took seven years to get from “Maladjusted” to “Quarry” and then a little under 2 years later we got “Ringleader”.

Very good point

The sad truth is that any true artist should by nature treat each album as his or her last. None of us are promised tomorrow.

i very much agree and have thought this for a while now and mentioned it on the suede forum quite a bit. lots of things about this album remind me of his past lyrics and songs, even just the lexicon. university, kiss me, bride down the isle etc all seem to kinda reference the viva hate bona drag era a bit to me. when r.e.m did this they did it in two albums with accelerate (one of there best albums) clearly referenced there eighties period while collapse referenced there last decade of output. i do have a feeling that this is gonna be the end or at least very close to it. one last referential album and one final statement seems a very morrissey thing to do. also when he was interviewed by npr around the time he was writing the auto biography he stated that he maybe had one more album in him before he was done. things change and people say what they think at the time which is of course fair but it does have me worried a little i confess.

World Peace takes a snatch of melody from I Have Forgiven Jesus ("...for all the desire...").

Back
Top Bottom