Late Steven Wells ridiculed Morrissey Fan

Re: International Fascist Brotherhood of Hyper-uncritical White Supremacist Morrissey

Wha? :crazy:

Re: International Fascist Brotherhood of Hyper-uncritical White Supremacist Morrissey

My thoughts entirely... :confused: Is he dead or did I just make that up?

Your post confused me and possibly the other person posting, because the link doesn't work and also I'm not sure exactly what you're saying about the link. Here's a link that may work better:

http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/morrissey-attack/

Yes, that writing made no sense to me at all, and yes, wikipedia says he died this year, as does one or more previous Solo threads here according to Google. Disliking Morrissey but revering Belle and Sebastian??

found this Morrissey quote, he was speaking to Sean Hughes and discussing the jouralists who accused his of been racist for walking on stage carrying union Jack flag and then the same journalists championed Brit Pop a few years later with imagery of the same flag all over various artist (thickos)

...Now I wanna talk about this purely just to get it out of the way, but, after the Madness thing and the Union Jack. Which rightly it's been pointed out that every other band has jumped on it and it's been called Britpop, after that...
M: Exactly, yes, yes.

S: But you were totally tortured over that.
M: Yes, yes. But once again, initially it was the same old journalists who were torturing me anyway, so finally, they saw that they had a cause to do it... and they would've jumped on anything at the time, regardless of what I'd done. But immediately Britpop started and every single, y'know... artist connected with Britpop was, y'know, Union Jack-ing, and nobody was ever-- Union Jack-ing, that sounds awful... and nobody was castigated.

S: I'm having that word for the next novel. "I was out Union Jack-ing last night... [M laughs] With a couple of friends, we were bored..." See the thing I don't understand is... because I think it was nonsense, saying you're a racist...
M: Yes, yes.

S: And I think there is a certain amount of dignity in remaining silent. But I couldn't understand at the same time you just saying "Look, I'm not..." [trails off]
M: You can't do it with the British music press, because even if they're nice to you they never print what you say. And even if they like you, they don't print what you say. So if there's a confrontation, they will never print what you say. I mean, at the time... David Bowie did an interview with the NME, and I think it was Steven Wells he did the interview with... and Bowie actually came to me with the NME, he was on the cover, he'd done the interview, and he was saying to me: "what's this? Steven Wells says, 'how could you go on tour with this racist Morrissey?'" and Bowie was saying to me that Steven Wells never said that.. or the journalist, I'm sure it was Steven Wells...

(Imagine your childhood hero asking you too explain why they are calling you a racist) I guess it's really true....The only good journalist is a dead journalist

9015.jpg

When Screaming Lord Sutch made his record with Jimmy Page with his Union Jack car and Union Jack coats, nobody ever accused him of being racist.
What the hell is wrong with a Union Jack?
Nobody accuses us yanks of being racist when waving American flags.
It seems we now live in a society where the most sensitive of us wind up making rules for the rest of us..:tears:

When Screaming Lord Sutch made his record with Jimmy Page with his Union Jack car and Union Jack coats, nobody ever accused him of being racist.

But no less reprehensible than if he were.

S: And I think there is a certain amount of dignity in remaining silent. But I couldn't understand at the same time you just saying "Look, I'm not..." [trails off]
M: You can't do it with the British music press, because even if they're nice to you they never print what you say. And even if they like you, they don't print what you say. So if there's a confrontation, they will never print what you say. I mean, at the time... David Bowie did an interview with the NME, and I think it was Steven Wells he did the interview with... and Bowie actually came to me with the NME, he was on the cover, he'd done the interview, and he was saying to me: "what's this? Steven Wells says, 'how could you go on tour with this racist Morrissey?'" and Bowie was saying to me that Steven Wells never said that.. or the journalist, I'm sure it was Steven Wells...

(Imagine your childhood hero asking you too explain why they are calling you a racist) I guess it's really true....The only good journalist is a dead journalist
Oh. My. God. I have never seen that before.... What a horrible, bitter little man he must have been.

Back
Top Bottom