Leeds - First Direct Arena (Feb. 24, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / Suedehead / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / Home Is A Question Mark / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Jack The Ripper / Back On The Chain Gang / I Bury The Living / When You Open Your Legs / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Hold On To Your Friends / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

Last edited:
The question : will moz attempt the final note of Home live??

Maybe I'm reading it too literally, but I thought his actions during If you don't like me... were a deliberate play on the lyrics since he hardly looked at the crowd once during the whole song - he was just staring off to the side of the stage (i.e. he doesn't like us so he's not looking at us). I was right in the centre about 2 people deep though so I don't know if something was kicking off over on that side of the crowd. Security did seem a bit heavy-handed at times but to be fair there were some absolute idiots in the crowd last night.

Other than that the crowd was actually incredibly sedate, probably more so than any other Moz crowd I've been in. Strange really, because the setlist was decent and the performance was flawless. That's just arenas I guess.

“Morrissey shows have always been built on crowd interaction- the relationship between artist and fan is unlike no other. But if the world’s greatest frontman on top form cannot get the partisan crowd bouncing, and he continues to remain so loyal to his newer material, he may have to turn his back on the arenas and call the theatres home again.”

This!!! When I think back to my favourite gigs they were the smaller ones like Manchester Apollo and Halifax Victoria theatre. That said, I did really enjoy the last Manchester Arena one, but that had a much more engaged crowd.

You're welcome. From my basement in suburban NYC.
Lol I saw that after I went to video but I remember the great job you did at NYC gig so it's always great to have other eyes looking for VIDEOS....again lotta of good people on this sight once you weed out....well everyone knows who they are.

Unfortunately there were man united thugs who specifically went to leeds to fight. it seemed crazy to have a gig on when leeds were at home knowing there would be lots of Mancs travelling over. The Munich air disaster song seemed to trigger it and the security were helpless.

It will be the Leeds fans who caused the trouble. They are well known for that. Animals

I felt hugely embarrassed being up in the first tier. It was like being amongst a bunch of bored zombies. If anyone so much as dared to stand up or sing you got looked at like some kind of lunatic. Moz deserved so, so much better. His voice was incredible, as was his performance.
Morrissey-719644455

Last edited:
Thank you for your post. I wish I could muster the desire again like I had when I was young. The recent set lists leave me in a state of inertia. I fear being truly disappointed by attending a concert of his new music that I simply do not enjoy would ruin the memories. Just me of course. Not a call out to others who like the newer stuff. In some ways I want to protect my memories of him and his music and what it meant to me wayyyy back when. I would hold my breath if I thought for a second that he he might ever choose to do a little spring cleaning and dust off the hits, and then I would return in a second. I am a realist at heart though and so that would seem a precarious decision given his nature. Miserabilist at heart I guess.

Still I am here ever observant and interested in others views on the here and now. If not the present, then what? Looking back and looking ahead is time better well spent on the present. I am guilty of this sin as are many I am sure.

“Miserablist at heart I guess”.

Maybe, but one with an almost aggressive compassion and heartfelt emotion getting it across and touching his fans deeply.

Which contradicts the miserablist tag.
It brings up the question, well at least with me, as to how a miserablist at heart even can drag himself up on that stage and just go through the motions.

For money? And for money only?
He doesn’t have to and can live a very, very comfortable life but he wants to be on that stage for it gives him more satisfaction than living that very comfortable life.

I felt hugely embarrassed being up in the first tier. It was like being amongst a bunch of bored zombies. If anyone so much as dared to stand up or sing you got looked at like some kind of lunatic. Moz deserved so, so much better. His voice was incredible, as was his performance.

Also, it's a long shot, but a good friend down in General Admission managed to give my portrait to Morrissey just after 'Spent The Day In Bed' - he looked quite impressed and took it off to the drum kit - does anyone happen to have any footage of it? It was between STDIB and 'My Love I'd Do Anything For You.'
View attachment 43825
Morrissey-719644455
Agree.
I stood up twice and the couple behind told me if I did it once more, “I’d get decked...”
They seemed more interested in their Arena meal deal than the show. Terrible crowd last night. He deserved so much better, especially on a Saturday evening.

I was up dancing and singing and also got some odd looks! Great drawing btw.

Really agree with what some others have said. 'You'll be gone', should be gone, why block a set list with covers at the expense of 'Speedway' and I'm not sorry' which I believe got an airing the other night and is one of his very best. Crowd doesn't warm to most of the LIHS stuff, and 'If you don't like...' was flat as a witches' tit!

I actually found MAD1958 quite emotional and poignant with the footage behind. Perhaps it's just because its just been the anniversary.

To the bell-end saying it looks like half an arena, that's the design, like an indoor ampitheatre/half circle shape. There's no more arena hidden behind the stage. It was an impressive crowd, given the reception to LIHS material I was surprised so many were there.

For the record, I was sat in the same block as an earlier photograph and there was even fighting there among the seated folk. Maybe that's just the way in Leeds(!), but to see two middle aged women being pulled apart kind of put a dampner on an already drab set!

Highlights for me: Suedehead, I Started, HSIN?, Jack the ripper, HIAQM... & no MIM!

Negatives: I Bury, If you don't like, Elvis karaoke and Pretenders nonsense.

I was in block 212 and those two ladies put on one hell of a scrap. I’d give it a draw on points overall.

Moz was superb. Nice to hear Prince get a pre concert spin.

Agree.
I stood up twice and the couple behind told me if I did it once more, “I’d get decked...”
They seemed more interested in their Arena meal deal than the show. Terrible crowd last night. He deserved so much better, especially on a Saturday evening.

No one said those words, specifically, to me, but that's very much the impression I got, too. Awful, wasn't it? I felt mortified for both Moz and myself. Although he performed beautifully, I felt like the crowd and the atmosphere were such drainers. I didn't care so much about all that after he took the drawing, though - then I just couldn't stop beaming and did my own thing, regardless.

Girl Racer - such a shame, wasn't it? And thanks so much!

View attachment 43818

Click 'spoiler' to see the exact scene from the film:
This one? Yes, it was - the whole film is bizarre.
This image / footage appears after 'El Dedo's' image of sugar skull Moz.
It is from Jean Cocteau's very surreal (1932) 'The Blood of a Poet' (Le sang d'un poète).

View attachment 43819
Regards,
FWD.
I heard a woman at the Dublin gig complaining that Moz was encouraging suicide with that part of the video. Like we're all zombies waiting to walk off a cliff for Moz. Daft bint.

Regards,
FWD.

“Miserablist at heart I guess”.

Maybe, but one with an almost aggressive compassion and heartfelt emotion getting it across and touching his fans deeply.

Which contradicts the miserablist tag.
It brings up the question, well at least with me, as to how a miserablist at heart even can drag himself up on that stage and just go through the motions.

For money? And for money only?
He doesn’t have to and can live a very, very comfortable life but he wants to be on that stage for it gives him more satisfaction than living that very comfortable life.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant myself there. Meaning that I put myself through the hope there will be a time he will "come to his senses" and play the music I want to hear, which only leads to me feeling miserable, but still taking it to heart.

He seems to have an equal ability to walk away from his musical past as he does from those who helped create it. Interesting this. Another conversation though. Just wanted to clear this up.

I heard a woman at the Dublin gig complaining that Moz was encouraging suicide with that part of the video. Like we're all zombies waiting to walk off a cliff for Moz. Daft bint.

Or maybe a rush and push from behind? ;)

Really enjoyed it, a great show for hardcore fans. His voice has never been better and he was even working his hips and dancing around. Got to admire the fact that he can fearlessly sell out a big arena and only play a couple of songs that the majority will recognise. He even prevents the singalong aspect of Everyday is Like Sunday with the “quando” replacement.

Anyone else pick up on him singing “Quando, Quando, Quando” during Everyday Is Like Sunday?
Made me chuckle.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom