Leeds - First Direct Arena (Feb. 24, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / Suedehead / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / Home Is A Question Mark / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Jack The Ripper / Back On The Chain Gang / I Bury The Living / When You Open Your Legs / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Hold On To Your Friends / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

Last edited:
I bet you live on your own sniffing 1970's spunk off your mother's knickers, wondering what life could have been like if you weren't aborted.

There’s more goodness in this crusty, spunk-stained pair of my mom’s old knickers than in the collective works of Morrissey, since 1995.

You’ll have to do better than this, if you wanna transcend pissing with the puppies to roll with the grown-ups, l’il shooter.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant myself there. Meaning that I put myself through the hope there will be a time he will "come to his senses" and play the music I want to hear, which only leads to me feeling miserable, but still taking it to heart.

He seems to have an equal ability to walk away from his musical past as he does from those who helped create it. Interesting this. Another conversation though. Just wanted to clear this up.

Allright evennow but you don’t come across to me as a miserablist at heart either!

Maybe you are just a tiny, a little bit, too nostalgic as you realised at that moment, how great it all was to experience.

I guess you are not the only one and sensitive people are maybe more vulnerable for the nostalgia trap.
But a real miserablist at heart would dismiss that feeling too, don’t you think so?

Morrissey was class in Leeds last night. Best performance I've seen from him for a while but the crowd were so stale with some dickheads popping up here & there. One lashed a drink over the people at the front. Thankfully he moved before he got told to get f***ed. Then 2 middle aged women started a shoving match.

Lovely stuff. Perhaps it didn't help having a meat head bouncer at the side of the stage ready to leather anyone who came near.

Thank you for the pictures. Surely it can't be denied that people turned out in force to witness a force of nature. To view such an audience brings me back to the days when I saw him live and I can't help but be jealous. Rather than quibble over the set list let's give him the slightest credit for maintaining an audience over so many years of refusal to bow to the desires for a greatest hits tour.

I am squarely in the midst of those wanting more of the past, but in an internet world where anything we want is seconds away he stays true to himself, and whether you want the songs that you can't have there is still the incredible joy of watching the man live singing the songs that mean the most to him.

After all, for me at least, it is not the songs he sung that remain with me, but just seeing him in person remembering a smile or turn of phrase that made me feal included in his world, the one that he created himself....from nothing. To still be carrying on even now after all these years is a true feet, miracle, and blessing. Hopefully there will be many years to come.

This 100%! I'd also love to hear a couple of extra Smiths songs and a couple from his earlier solo career. However if this is the only way we can see him then I'll take it every time. Morrissey simply does not need the money, and has far too much integrity to become a tribute act to the Smiths. I was also for many years in the camp of hoping the reunion would come off, now though I have completely changed my mind.

With Mark E Smith gone he is possibly the last artist still out there with any integrity and relevance.

Allright evennow but you don’t come across to me as a miserablist at heart either!

Maybe you are just a tiny, a little bit, too nostalgic as you realised at that moment, how great it all was to experience.

I guess you are not the only one and sensitive people are maybe more vulnerable for the nostalgia trap.
But a real miserablist at heart would dismiss that feeling too, don’t you think so?

That is very true. And Morrissey seems hyper-nostalgic with the pre-concert video footage of past music, but somehow avoids this nostalgia in his own set list. He brings out one maybe two "nostalgic" songs along with a few well-known great songs that have been overplayed to death.

This concert is a perfect example of this: I Started Something and Hold Onto Your Friends are classic songs. EDILS, HSIN, IBEH all great songs, but I would rather hear other top ten hits that have been left at the side of the road.

Anyone else pick up on him singing “Quando, Quando, Quando” during Everyday Is Like Sunday?
Made me chuckle.
You obviously don’t follow him closely enough to know that he has been saying that for a few years now.

This 100%! I'd also love to hear a couple of extra Smiths songs and a couple from his earlier solo career. However if this is the only way we can see him then I'll take it every time. Morrissey simply does not need the money, and has far too much integrity to become a tribute act to the Smiths. I was also for many years in the camp of hoping the reunion would come off, now though I have completely changed my mind.

With Mark E Smith gone he is possibly the last artist still out there with any integrity and relevance.

Yes. I was never one who thought for an instant that The Smiths would reform. Why dredge the lake...too many bad things lurk at the bottom.

When he started his solo career I was all in. Viva Hate on through Ringleader. So much great solo music left now in a cryogenic state. I can only imagine that with him the music is closely tied to his feelings about its creation. Given the turnover of the band it is probably more about the people than the music.

Imagine if he were capable of carrying on long term relationships with anyone other than Boz. What would the set list look like then? How different his future in the music industry would have been. He jumps from label to label as much as he jumps from musician to musician. A restless soul is he.

Like you stated above, this is the current state of affairs, and there is no changing the past even though every one of us to a person would most likely like to "tweak" one thing or other. He may hold his friends close, but he holds his grudges much closer. This is not a healthy way to live, but who am I to judge...we all know how he feels about judges! ;)

Really enjoyed the gig, different perspective from Aberdeen & Glasgow as I was standing at those,this time I had a seat on the second tier, to the right of stage, wasn’t sure how the new material would capture the audience , but to be fair I thought crowd was with him all the way.

Only thing I would say is that due to the Leeds stage / speaker setup suspended from the ceiling, the videos / photos were obscured so on a few of the songs the full impact of the visuals / music / lyrics was perhaps not felt the same as if you were in the standing section / central seats.

Leeds, better set & crowd than Aberdeen, just Pity no ‘Speedway’ from the set, so Glasgow still remains my favourite of the gigs I’ve been too on the tour.

Still quite something to see Morrissey, in tremendous voice, with the crowd all totally into it as I looked down & around the arena (when your standing down the front, the scale of the gig perhaps gets overlooked, especially with the excellent production they’ve put into the stage show / the videos,

Everday is Sunday I would say was the crowd favourite , had folk out their seats / dancing & singing like no other (I would’ve thought How Soon is Now?, would’ve won the honours beforehand , but no, Everyday is Sunday had it.

On way back to Scotland now, after a couple of great days in Leeds (1st time visit to the city & I really enjoyed the place, definitely recommend checking it out, lot of interesting things to see & do, great bars/ restaurants / shops and good banter with the locals ) ...been great weekend, I’m only slightly disappointed in myself that I never went to the Newcastle gig on Friday as well and have only 1 London gig to look forward too. I should’ve got organised / planned to attend more of the gigs!!. (Next tour !)

I hope all those going to Birmingham & the rest of the dates have a fantastic time...yes I can argue about the setlists & the flow/tempo of the songs / order chosen but it’s still a joy to see Morrissey live in concert, especially when his voice is sounding as good as does and when so many of his peers have long since left us. At the end up he’s one of the very few left that still matters, still touring and remains worth the effort.

You obviously don’t follow him closely enough to know that he has been saying that for a few years now.

You obviously don’t have a life.

I believe you played for the Cambridge University Netball Team.

Twitter/FB 'official' post:

IMG_20180225_193347.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
There’s more goodness in this crusty, spunk-stained pair of my mom’s old knickers than in the collective works of Morrissey, since 1995.

You’ll have to do better than this, if you wanna transcend pissing with the puppies to roll with the grown-ups, l’il shooter.

How nice to have Skinny back.

What's pretty sad is when people who don't like Morrissey come here to post about him, as if they don't look like nonces

SER quoting the Yorkshire Times:
20180225_213903.jpg

20180225_213938.jpg
20180225_214005.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Hey Quando. I meant to tell you that Moz was looking for you in Dublin. He kept saying 'quando quando quando' but you were nowhere to be seen.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom